Jedd Johnson

Cannon

MM3 gripper is the most hardest to judge because it´s handles ends are different than other MM- cert grippers. Even if it´s closed it can look it´s open. If you don´t have real good full hd camera there can become shadows.

• Like 4

One thing I am not sure people realize. We use the Spoiler tags for judging so no judge will be able to see how the others voted. I then tally the judges votes.

Jedd's attempts were judged yesterday and he received reds. It was very close.

also, you can turn the saturation or brightness up high enough to distort any pic.

not only do we not see each others votes when we place our own. we have to vote on each close and get 2 of 3 on a particular close. so, you have to get 2 uninfluenced votes on a specific close to pass.

• Like 1

A few keynotes have been spoken on. Here is my opinion on this matter.

Just with anything, there will always be more going on behind it all that people are not aware of; this applies to the MM Certifications. Sometimes it could all go smooth, while at other times there could be bumps in the road. You are relying on the human factor, you have good and bad calls when making a decision. You never know which way it could go.

Look at everything that is being presented within each video submission. There are key aspects in each video you must clue yourself into and onto before any footage rolls; you will never know what may come your way. 3 factors that can ruin a video, or, make it worth everything: angel, distance from the camera, and lighting.

Here are a few questions to consider with what the judges have to go through: How many attempts are good vs bad? Did the gripper close or remain open? Is the hand preventing a judge from seeing the close clearly? How bright/dark is the video?

Jedd you have the strength come back with better video :rock

also, you can turn the saturation or brightness up high enough to distort any pic.

not only do we not see each others votes when we place our own. we have to vote on each close and get 2 of 3 on a particular close. so, you have to get 2 uninfluenced votes on a specific close to pass.

Are you saying you're a MM judge? Thought that was a secret. Lol

Are you saying you're a MM judge? Thought that was a secret. Lol

is it or are the judges 3 of the moderators? Are they also the same people for every attempt or do they rotate? Not that it matters to me just wondering. The videos are up for everyone to see anyway. It's also cool if this info is not meant to be shared with members.

It is not just moderators. It is completely random which 3 judge it. I post it up and it is whoever judges it first.

• Like 1

I believe all of the mods are able to judge as well as a couple other people. from time to time more are added to make things run in a timely fashion. sometimes people get busy and don't have time to watch all the vids.

i've never been under the impression that it was secret. just not publicized. also, it can be different for everyone depending on who votes.

MM3 gripper is the most hardest to judge because it´s handles ends are different than other MM- cert grippers. Even if it´s closed it can look it´s open. If you don´t have real good full hd camera there can become shadows.

This is very true, Juha. The MM3's bevels are QUITE different. I've actually felt the handles close in the past, but you could not tell the gripper was closed from the footage. Very similar to on Vano's #4 video. If that were a Mash Monster cert video, I could not look at it and give a white light. The same black line shows up between the handles as in the modified image that Vano provided.

This is why the MM Cert is my favorite grip cert. It is very strict. I don't care if I've failed on the MM3 because of filming in the past - that's on me to get good footage. The need for good footage is actually why i took the camera outside for my MM4 attempt, because I was convinced the lighting in my garage was bad.

I've also stepped up my training for set visibility. Without the "convenience" of proving set width with a block, it really changes things up, and pausing for a still view of my set is not something I'm comfortable with, because I haven't trained it in so long.

As far as the judges being a secret, I don't recall that being the case. Like Brent said, it's not been talked about much, that's for sure, but why would it have to be?

• Like 3

This is very true, Juha. The MM3's bevels are QUITE different. I've actually felt the handles close in the past, but you could not tell the gripper was closed from the footage. Very similar to on Vano's #4 video. If that were a Mash Monster cert video, I could not look at it and give a white light. The same black line shows up between the handles as in the modified image that Vano provided.

This is why the MM Cert is my favorite grip cert. It is very strict. I don't care if I've failed on the MM3 because of filming in the past - that's on me to get good footage. The need for good footage is actually why i took the camera outside for my MM4 attempt, because I was convinced the lighting in my garage was bad.

I've also stepped up my training for set visibility. Without the "convenience" of proving set width with a block, it really changes things up, and pausing for a still view of my set is not something I'm comfortable with, because I haven't trained it in so long.

As far as the judges being a secret, I don't recall that being the case. Like Brent said, it's not been talked about much, that's for sure, but why would it have to be?

Yes, I agree that my video coc 4 are not clear, was or was not closing.
But why is this? This is just my home video workout, not a world record or an attempt to get certified.
You are certified - everything should be clearly and confidently, without shaking hands and in good quality.
On your video mm3 exactly the same closure as in video mm4. If you are shooting in the basement of his house without lights attempt to mm4 - then you would probably judge counted and gave the green light!
  • Like 1

But why is this? This is just my home video workout, not a world record or an attempt to get certified.
You are certified - everything should be clearly and confidently, without shaking hands and in good quality.
On your video mm3 exactly the same closure as in video mm4. If you are shooting in the basement of his house without lights attempt to mm4 - then you would probably judge counted and gave the green light!

This thread isn't about starting a debate if Jedd's MM3 certification attempt with the gripper was closed or not; if you want to do that, take it elsewhere on the board. You are detracting from what this thread was about, MM4.

Valid points have been made but you continue to state that the MM3 gripper wasn't closed, this thread is going to get locked if you don't stop.

Yes, your #4 video was a training video but Jedd was pointing out that if it was a Certification attempt it wouldn't pass.

• Like 2

I don't think dental floss would have slipped between the handles on the 2nd attempt.

• Like 2

I highly doubt that.

Dude, if you weren't certified on the mmg6 I would've think you are jealous. But clearly that is not the case here. Jedd's mmg3 cert was and is legit. Hope you get this
  • Like 1

Vano probably just honestly doesn't agree with the decision on the close. If he thinks the judging was too lenient, then he has cause for concern in terms of diminishing validity in his MashMonster achievements. He has a horse in this race, so to speak. If he does feel that way, his first and best recourse would be to discuss it with the mods, too keep from making this into an argument where people get insulted. I'm sure a lot of social finesse gets lost in translation as well, so he comes off sounding more harsh than he means to. That's what I'm seeing here. With any kind of judged event, there will be disagreements, so the best we can do is remain civil and keep discussion in the proper channels.

• Like 6

Vano probably just honestly doesn't agree with the decision on the close. If he thinks the judging was too lenient, then he has cause for concern in terms of diminishing validity in his MashMonster achievements. He has a horse in this race, so to speak. If he does feel that way, his first and best recourse would be to discuss it with the mods, too keep from making this into an argument where people get insulted. I'm sure a lot of social finesse gets lost in translation as well, so he comes off sounding more harsh than he means to. That's what I'm seeing here. With any kind of judged event, there will be disagreements, so the best we can do is remain civil and keep discussion in the proper channels.

You just advanced to MM5 level with this post. fun aside, you just said what I was writing up also!

Edited by Geralt

As John M already pointed out, take this elsewhere. MM4 was missed which is the purpose of this thread. Thread is now done here.

Dave Morton presented the best cert vids I ever saw, bar none. He always used a solid pale color cloth, ie: towel, as a backdrop behind the gripper and positioned the gripper close to it.. It blocked out all of the surrounding environment nuances that cause shadows and lighting problems. Gripsters that need vid help to certify...., should study Dave Morton.

BTW, I was a judge for all of Morton's certs.....

Edited by zcor

Create another thread. I am ready to discuss-there, if you're willing.

If I hurt someone with harsh words - I'm sorry, the translation goes through Google translator.

It surprises me that only I care about this issue. Maybe you're afraid to face the truth, or in this forum rigid dictatorship?

Watch the video mm3 Jedd, there dislike 10 vs. 6 likes. It's about what you do not say?

And I stop this unnecessary talk in this thread, if someone wants to talk to - let me know please.

Edited by freeondie

Vano,

If you desire to open a new thread for whatever you what to discuss about it go for it (on the main forum). However, discussion needs to be civil per our rules on the board. Constructive criticism with the mindset of improving the MM process is always welcome. In fact, we have already started discussing some potential improvements already going forward. Thanks.

• Like 2