New Goal-one Arm Pull Ups

Jeremy C.

It's a slow day at work so as I look out the window I decide that I want to do a one-arm pull up, I've never tried so I have no idea how close I am. My current body weight is 210 lbs so I'm sure this goal will take some work.

What are some good exercises/techniques to get started?

I've been using off-set pullups, one-arm negatives and isometrics, single-arm hangs, single arm hangs with scapula retraction. Not all in the same day or week.

Well, it is one of mine goals too.. Just started to move in that direction.. For me as much as I read about them, its good to have good base, like 15-20 two hand pull ups. Then starting doing negatives, pulling yourself up with two hands and hold up there with one hand till you can. Or you can try weighted pull ups too. But here is few people who is going to give you better advise than me, like David_wigren :)

I've been using off-set pullups, one-arm negatives and isometrics, single-arm hangs, single arm hangs with scapula retraction. Not all in the same day or week.

Thanks, i've been watching some videos and seen how these are done, I'll begin incorporating these into my workout 2-3 times per week. After doing maybe 1 or 2 of these exercises per workout would it be good to finish with 2 hand pullups at the end of each training session?

Well, it is one of mine goals too.. Just started to move in that direction.. For me as much as I read about them, its good to have good base, like 15-20 two hand pull ups. Then starting doing negatives, pulling yourself up with two hands and hold up there with one hand till you can. Or you can try weighted pull ups too. But here is few people who is going to give you better advise than me, like David_wigren :)

Cool, good luck on your goal as well. I can do 15-20 two hand but I probly need to do them slower and really extend at the bottom. Adding some weight

is a good idea and Durniat mentioned negatives as well.

Thanks

The intensity of the above mentioned is quiet high. I typically stick to one-two exercises, once a week. Steady progression is the key, no instant gratification on the the one-arm pullup.

Rope work, pull ups, climbs and off set hand positions. To the point you pull up let go with the lower hand at your chest and lower slow under control. Will condition the elbow nicely also to prevent injury.

One arm pullups are extremely difficult for large/tall fellows and in this context 210 lbs is BIG. Most progressions you'll find on Youtube are really suited for the smaller guys IMO, where the progression will be much easier and quicker. I can do about 25 BW pullups and about 10-12 with 45 lb added to me, I can do slow muscle ups, type-writers, human flag etc and I'm still very far away from doing a one arm pullup, and I'm a 185 lb guy. IMO you'll need to find other goals along the journey that will help you develop the strength towards the one arm pullup, whilst having fun and keeping you motivated. Goals like being able to perform a muscle up, and then progressing to be able to do 5 of them, 10 of them. Work on adding weight, shoot for being able to do a few reps with 40% BW added to you, work up to 50% and then 60%. You get the point. Doing specific exercises like assisted one arm pullups is IMO only something you should be doing right when you're really close to being able to do a one arm pullup. How you know when you're ready. Well, if you can jump up and hold yourself for 10 seconds or so on the one arm negative, then I'd guess you're pretty close. However if you can't hold yourself in a one arm negative for more than a second or two, then you're not ready for the specific one arm work IMO.

Disclaimer, I have myself not done a one arm pullup yet, so I'd take my advice with a pinch of salt.

• Like 1

Wow, this may be more difficult than I had anticipated. The comments are exactly what I needed.

The intensity of the above mentioned is quiet high. I typically stick to one-two exercises, once a week. Steady progression is the key, no instant gratification on the the one-arm pullup.

Now I can mentally prepare myself. Sounds like this maybe a great challenge.

Rope work, pull ups, climbs and off set hand positions. To the point you pull up let go with the lower hand at your chest and lower slow under control. Will condition the elbow nicely also to prevent injury.

Good tip on injury prevention

One arm pullups are extremely difficult for large/tall fellows and in this context 210 lbs is BIG. Most progressions you'll find on Youtube are really suited for the smaller guys IMO, where the progression will be much easier and quicker. I can do about 25 BW pullups and about 10-12 with 45 lb added to me, I can do slow muscle ups, type-writers, human flag etc and I'm still very far away from doing a one arm pullup, and I'm a 185 lb guy. IMO you'll need to find other goals along the journey that will help you develop the strength towards the one arm pullup, whilst having fun and keeping you motivated. Goals like being able to perform a muscle up, and then progressing to be able to do 5 of them, 10 of them. Work on adding weight, shoot for being able to do a few reps with 40% BW added to you, work up to 50% and then 60%. You get the point. Doing specific exercises like assisted one arm pullups is IMO only something you should be doing right when you're really close to being able to do a one arm pullup. How you know when you're ready. Well, if you can jump up and hold yourself for 10 seconds or so on the one arm negative, then I'd guess you're pretty close. However if you can't hold yourself in a one arm negative for more than a second or two, then you're not ready for the specific one arm work IMO.

Disclaimer, I have myself not done a one arm pullup yet, so I'd take my advice with a pinch of salt.

Thanks, this gives me some reference on where I need to be as I go along. Great tip on setting more attainable goals as I go to stay motivated.

I'm going to the gym tonight so I'll see if I can hold myself at all on a one arm negative.

Doing specific exercises like assisted one arm pullups is IMO only something you should be doing right when you're really close to being able to do a one arm pullup. How you know when you're ready. Well, if you can jump up and hold yourself for 10 seconds or so on the one arm negative, then I'd guess you're pretty close. However if you can't hold yourself in a one arm negative for more than a second or two, then you're not ready for the specific one arm work IMO.

I've been training for this for 2-3 years. After wasting about 1.5 years on uneven chins and the liking, the only thing that has brought me closer is weighted chins of various widths, distances, pauses and a lack of pauses. I'm going to fully endorse the above quote. Also there is a thread that has been going for a few years about a number of people attempting this skill, so as to extract any useful information from that.

Also, I have found that using rings have been especially helpful in that the elbow is allowed freedom of movement and does not get beat up as much. However, the elbow will need that to be conditioned to the torque of the body if you plan on doing a one arm chin on a fixed bar.

Using a ring or rotating handle is huge! The straight bar raises the injury risk quickly unless you condition smartly and do not rush this. I used the rope methods, weighted pull ups did nothing to help.

I just got strong enough for one arm pull ups but I only weigh 170. While 210 is pretty heavy for a one arm chin but it is doable. Guys like Steve stanko and john grimek could do one arm chins weighing over 200-lbs.

I would make weighted CHIN UPS top priority. A Texas Method type training program is probably the best way to train those. I would do a set or two of bodyweight pull ups on off days using alternating grips other than chin grip. Once you can do a single chin with about 3/4 of your bodyweight I would say that would be a good start point for the one arms. From there I would start one arm negatives negatives on my heavy day instead of weighted chin and offset chins on off days.

That's basically the way I worked up to one arm chins. It worked very quickly.

I like the idea of working with a ring, i'll do that.

I was wondering if adding 100% on weighted pullups would roughly equal a one hand pull-up. It sounds like it will pretty close.

I tried a one hand hold last night, not even close. I'm going to have to work up to it before I can even train with maximum effort. As everyone has said,It's a lot of stress on elbow, lats and obliques.

The problem I have with weighted chins is that they do nothing to really condition your joints. While they have helped many I've seen more people get injured from over reliance than not. If you choose to include weight work, make sure to work on one arm also. Even just one arm hangs will start the process early on.

The problem I have with weighted chins is that they do nothing to really condition your joints. While they have helped many I've seen more people get injured from over reliance than not. If you choose to include weight work, make sure to work on one arm also. Even just one arm hangs will start the process early on.

That makes perfect since, I will be mindful of your advice. I will do a lot of none weighted work but I will do weighted as well. I understand the value of joint health from hand grippers. I will start slow and build a good foundation.

Obviously there are a few advantages to doing this movement: shorter arms, lighter body, and high base level of strength.

I had two of those three and it still took me 3 years of training to do a strict rep.

A few training ideas...

Weighted neutral grip chin ups: 3x5@50% is a good goal.

One arm negative or isometric: 10+seconds at will is a good goal.

Front lever training transfers directly to some ranges of OAC motion.

Good luck!

Forgive me if I sound rude as it is not my intention, but do you really think that weighted chins does nothing, or are you saying that the torque on the elbow from weight chins is nothing in comparison? Even with a variety of widths and grips at various levels of tension and ROMs?

I'm going to go on record by saying that starting with one arm chin variations did nothing except fool me into false progress for about 1.5 years for this skill. Though, I do agree that at some point single arm progressions should be introduced, but not in the beginning... just speaking from my experience.

Edited by hellswindstaff

I'm saying it does nothing for the elbow preparation, sorry for the confusion. It certainly can help with strength. I'm not suggesting starting with one armed work. I recommend starting with variation of pull ups on a rope. With single arm hanging mixed in, no attempts to pull for quite a long time.

If someone approached you and asked how to prepare for a pistol squat would you tell them that squatting with a barbell wouldn't "condition their knee"? I hope you wouldn't because it make no sense. I don't' really know what you mean by condition ring joints. A one arm chin is just a matter of strength. Like if somebodie's goal was to do pistol squats they would need to build their squat 1rm. If they wanted to press the Inch DB they would need to build their barbell press. A one arm chin is no different.

It's actually very different. I've taught pistol's for years and as per your example a standard squat does not work lateral stability or the proper balance needed for a pistol. When working with gymnasts you learn very quickly that two handed hanging skills and one handed need separate joint conditioning as again the rotation is different not to mention the stresses. The Inch or circus DB overhead does not need a barbell press either.

It's actually very different. I've taught pistol's for years and as per your example a standard squat does not work lateral stability or the proper balance needed for a pistol. When working with gymnasts you learn very quickly that two handed hanging skills and one handed need separate joint conditioning as again the rotation is different not to mention the stresses. The Inch or circus DB overhead does not need a barbell press either.

Agree to disagree I guess. Pistols, one arm chins, one arm presses are all more like skills than tests of strength. Ideally you build strength using as many moving parts as possible(squat/bench/dead/press/chin) with as much weight as possible(with a barbell) then learn the skills after you've gotten strong. Most people can't do these things because they aren't strong enough. Only takes a day or two to figure out the proprioceptive aspect. Can take years to build the strength.

And again, I personally worked up to one arm chins with weighted chin ups and a couple of weeks of one arm negative practice. I've also competed in strongman and know for a fact if your bench press and press don't go up your circus DB definitely won't. Also been training PLers, WLers, strongmen and Xfitters for years. Just speaking from personal experience.

Same here just different approaches. Been doing this quite some time now from non-athletes to D1 and from amateur to Pro. Nice thing with fitness many paths can get you there and everyone is different.

Lots of good info been posted here already, and I'm sure you've watched a bunch of YouTube tutorials. I'm a similar weight (95kg, ~210lbs) had a goal of doing an OAC for a few years now and have failed thus far, although I have been reasonably close at times. Best advice I can give is to take it slow. In particular don't get too zealous with the one arm specific stuff because it will destroy your elbows if you're not careful, and as I'm sure you know - nothing hinders progress like injury.

I'm going to start working towards the OAC again fairly soon, so hopefully we can progress together!

• 1 year later...

Thought I would post an update, I still have a long ways to go but i'm working at it slow and steady.

Next i'm going to add a little more weight on my two handed chins, then start working on some body weight one arm holds and negatives, assisted with the other arm.

Make sure to work the lock out, 90 and bottom with the one arm holds. 

As a bonus if you have access starting doing rope climbs (no feet). 

15 hours ago, canthar said:

Make sure to work the lock out, 90 and bottom with the one arm holds. 

As a bonus if you have access starting doing rope climbs (no feet). 

good point, I didn't realize I wasn't getting the full range until I made the video.