Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Royz

Giant's Hands

34 posts in this topic

Maybe you've all seen this pic before, but I was pretty astonished by it.

This is the hand of Andre the Giant (1946-1993) holding a regular size beer can. That's one big hand.

Imagine what he could've done in pinch or thickbar events.... :)

post-22763-0-38423600-1404285973_thumb.j

4 people like this

That's so awesome. For him thick bar would actually be thin bar

1 person likes this

He could probably hook grip the inch db

Immagine shaking hands with the guy.

Weren't his hands like 13-14" long or something?

I hate to say it but that doesn't even look like a regular beer canit looks like a Canadian beer so what I can make out but I still never seen a can like that

I hate to say it but that doesn't even look like a regular beer canit looks like a Canadian beer so what I can make out but I still never seen a can like that

No it doesn't, but it's a regular size can.

Here's the whole pic.

post-22763-0-43159500-1404333500_thumb.j

All I can say to that is wow...yeah I would imagine in his prime before he got extremely heavy and immobile he would have been outstanding at most events and especially at thick bar . Perhaps even able to pick up Mark Henry's Mistake Bell. There are certainly tales of his strength when he was younger, whether or not they were overly embellished is impossible to know for sure, but it definitely makes for an interesting "what if" discussion.

This image is good for scale I think. There was a casting done of his hand a one point. I also remember t-shirts with his hand print on the front.

AndresHand.jpg

I read and article about him once and it talked about some of the things he did when he was younger to make money. One of them believe it or not was bare-knuckle boxing!! Can you immagine looking over in the corner and seeing that guy? Or getting punched by one of the those fists?

I had a picture saved to my desktop once where he was holding up the front end of some french car. He was much thinner, and wearing a suit and had a pony tail. Evidently he was extremely strong despite never working out.

He could probably kill the gold nail as well because to him it wouldn't be so awkward.

Immagine if he had trained.

Okay, I can't post links but if you go to google images and key in "andre the giant lifting a car" you will see the pic I'm talking about.

2 people like this

Here's the pic Tim T mentioned. He's so young, hardly looks like himself and in a suit too! Imagine the look on the tailors face when the giant walked into his shop...

post-22763-0-93350500-1404364012_thumb.j

Thanks for putting that picture up. It's one of my favorites and shows that he was clearly gifted in the strength department when he was younger.

Andre was a freak of nature. Too bad he had giantism with the hypothalamus disorder unlike the Canadian magaskill. Andre was definitely very strong. Ken Patera said that if andre trained he would have been the strongest.

Cool pic of the car lift. Lol at the tie looking like a tiny shoestring.

Andre was a freak of nature. Too bad he had giantism with the hypothalamus disorder unlike the Canadian magaskill. Andre was definitely very strong. Ken Patera said that if andre trained he would have been the strongest.

That means quite a lot coming from Ken Patera considering he was so crazy strong himself!

Was Angus Macaskill a real person or just a grass-roots legend? Didn't he carry something that weighed a couple thousand pounds? I have a hard time believing Louis Cyr shouldered a 517 lb stone...Angus carrying an anchor that weighed more than a ton takes a bit more faith in old time stories than I have lol. But they are still fun to read and think about.

Here's the whole pic.

You are both right. It is a regular 12 oz can and it is Molson Canadian brand beer

1 person likes this

Here's the whole pic.

It's Molsen Canadian. Very common beer up here and is in normal sized cans.

That picture was a center spread in an issue of Sports Illustrated back in the early 80's. Dr. Terry Todd wrote

the article and had the pic taken by a friend. Terry Todd was good friends with Andre the Giant and even spoke at Andre's funeral.

To really put the size of Andre's hands in perspective I have attached a link to a video that I have watched 100's of times because I love Andre the Giant and he was a childhood hero of mine and I never could get over Andre's immense size, specially his hands! Enjoy the video!

Edited by Mighty Joe
2 people like this

Robert Wadlow who was 8'11 had about 13 inch hands. I doubt andre were longer, though they were probably stronger and thicker.

Robert Wadlow who was 8'11 had about 13 inch hands. I doubt andre were longer, though they were probably stronger and thicker.

Wadlow's hands were long but not thick relative to the length. I would vote Leonid Stadnyk from the Ukrain as having the largest (normal) hands known to date by both length and thickness. Here's a great link with more pics than any other link I have found: http://www.thetallestman.com/leonidstadnyk.htm

On this same site under Andre the Giant there is many, many pics (some rare) of Andre as well. Not to mention any other tall human you can think of. http://www.thetallestman.com/andrethegiant.htm

ENJOY!!! :)

BTW, if anyone knows of a human with larger, normal hands than Stadnyk please share a link to compare.

By normal I mean without being deformed or tumorous.

Edited by Mighty Joe
1 person likes this

Andre coulda been King Of Thick bar no doubt!

I read and article about him...

I had a picture saved to my desktop once where he was holding up the front end of some french car. ....

British car ;) , Aston Martin ( DB6 or DB7?). Amazing guy, from what I've read he did show wrestling moves like jumps from the top rope and other stuff showing a lot of agility. Seems he had to change his act to showing slowness and not agility as to not appear to strong an opponent...

Liked to see him!

I shall never forget the picture of Calvin Laine( sp) standing next to fellow player Shak. That man was something!

1 person likes this