Rare Earth Magnets

bwwm

Received a couple of these for Father's Day today. Intent is to use them to hold weight on my blobs & my dbs at some point in the future. Found out they are an incredible hand workout by themselves, just trying to pull them apart:

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DX0X0

• Like 1

I was pondering what their biological effects were when I was playing with them tonight. I was imaging all the iron in my blood vessels pooling towards the magnets.

They are kind of dangerous too. I put them down on the work bench out in the garage about 5" from each other (maybe less, I didn't get a good look), they immediately smashed together. I'm glad I didn't have any fingers in the way.

With the spacer they come with, I could work them apart. With them directly touching I could budge them, but couldn't separate them. Had to stick them in a vice and work one from the other with both hands.

I was pondering what their biological effects were when I was playing with them tonight. I was imaging all the iron in my blood vessels pooling towards the magnets.

They are kind of dangerous too. I put them down on the work bench out in the garage about 5" from each other (maybe less, I didn't get a good look), they immediately smashed together. I'm glad I didn't have any fingers in the way.

With the spacer they come with, I could work them apart. With them directly touching I could budge them, but couldn't separate them. Had to stick them in a vice and work one from the other with both hands.

As strong as they are...you need to be gentle with them. DON'T allow them to smash together...especially when you have bonded them with weights.

They are relatively fragile and can go from being extremely useful to extreme piles of smashed bits.

Turning/spinning the magnets help break the bond as gently as possible. If you treat them right, there is no reason you can't use them for years and years.

• Like 1

There is no such thing as a magnet strong enough to pull iron from your blood because the iron in your blood isn't magnetic.

The strongest magnet in the world is in Florida State University and operates at 25 Tesla which is half a million times stronger than the earths magnetic field. This would kill you so easily you wouldn't even be worth it's time.

• Like 1

There is no such thing as a magnet strong enough to pull iron from your blood because the iron in your blood isn't magnetic.

Well that's disappointing!

The strongest magnet in the world is in Florida State University and operates at 25 Tesla which is half a million times stronger than the earths magnetic field. This would kill you so easily you wouldn't even be worth it's time.

Why would a 25 tesla magnet kill you? From what I understand you'd need to add an order of magnitude or more to start seeing effects.

Interestingly, there has been one scientific study showing that magnets applied to a fresh injury may result in reduced inflammation, similar to ice: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080103132307.htm. So OP's fumbling around with magnets may possible help him recovery a little faster, hehe. I don't know if anyone has replicated this study, though, so take with a grain of salt.

On a geeky tangent, no magnet on earth can kill you but magnetar level magnetic fields can and are probably one of the craziest celestial objects:

Magnetars are characterized by their extremely powerful magnetic fields of 10^8-10^11 tesla.[9] These magnetic fields are hundreds of millions of times stronger than any man-made magnet,[10] and quadrillions of times more powerful than the field surrounding Earth.[11] Earth has a geomagnetic field of 30–60 microteslas, and a neodymium-based, rare-earth magnet has a field of about 1 tesla, with a magnetic energy density of 4.0×10^5 J/m3. A magnetar's 10^10 tesla field, by contrast, has an energy density of 4.0×10^25 J/m3, with an E/c2 mass density >10^4 times that of lead. The magnetic field of a magnetar would be lethal even at a distance of 1000 km due to the strong magnetic field distorting the electron clouds of the subject's constituent atoms, rendering the chemistry of life impossible.[12] At a distance halfway to the moon, a magnetar could strip information from the magnetic stripes of all credit cards on Earth.[13] As of 2010, they are the most magnetic objects ever detected in the universe.[8][14]
As described in the February 2003 Scientific American cover story, remarkable things happen within a magnetic field of magnetar strength. "X-ray photons readily split in two or merge together. The vacuum itself is polarized, becoming strongly birefringent, like a calcite crystal. Atoms are deformed into long cylinders thinner than the quantum-relativistic de Broglie wavelength of an electron."[2] In a field of about 10^5 teslas atomic orbitals deform into rod shapes. At 10^10 teslas, a hydrogen atom becomes a spindle 200 times narrower than its normal diameter.[2]
Edited by truth1ness
  • Like 1

Why would a 25 tesla magnet kill you? From what I understand you'd need to add an order of magnitude or more to start seeing effects.

25 tesla is NOT enough to kill you that's my bad I was thinking about magnetars when I was typing that. From what I understand extreme magnetic fields pull apart molecular bonds. So for example it could turn all the water in your body into pure hydrogen and oxygen. So at some tesla level you would begin to suffer a gradual death which wouldn't look spectacular at all and at magnetar level which is in the gigateslas you would die instantly which I assume would be some kind of explosion/implosion? Or maybe you would be vaporized? Just speculation of course.

Here is something you can do with a 10 tesla magnet. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1vyB-O5i6E

I did quite a bit of experimenting with super magnets as a resistance supply for strength equipment. The super magnets are so strong they are dangerous. Some I had coming together with a force of 300lbs could actually nip a finger tip off or destroy a watch or compass. I finally re boxed them with safety spacers and put them away.

I did take note of the statement magnets not affecting the iron in your blood but for some reason when I was passing a big one lightly around my wrist a funny ,swirling ,flowing mild sensation was detected. May have been my imagination.

I really wonder why more strength research in particular the elusive but greatly important "starting strength factor "in athletics has not been explored by using them.

• Like 1

I did take note of the statement magnets not affecting the iron in your blood but for some reason when I was passing a big one lightly around my wrist a funny ,swirling ,flowing mild sensation was detected. May have been my imagination.

Not your imagination at all. Our bodies have a slight magnetic pull, and every culture makes some form of reference to it. when i was going through rehab for a massive blood clot and torn ACL electrolysis and earth magnets were a key part in circulating fresh blood into my knee and leg. without that, I'm not sure i would be walking comfortably today.

So there's something to those magnetic wrist bands?

I highly highly doubt they are strong enough. If they were, watches on the opposite wrist would get destroyed. The magnets used in my rehab were is a soft brace and took some serious effort to pull apart if the nurse forgot to put the spacers between them.

Edited by EJ Livesey

earth magnets were a key part in circulating fresh blood into my knee and leg

Very cool modern treatment using magnets to promote healing.

Though not as strong as what you are talking about, I have tested some magnetic and titanium wrist bands with biofeedback and gotten a very positive result.