Thoughts/concerns About 2014 Nationals

jvance

I just want to say that I had a blast at my first NAGSC. A huge thank you to Andrew for hosting along with everyone else who organized and judged. It was great to meet and shake the hands of many of the guys who I communicate with through the GripBoard and whose accomplishments inspired me to get involved with grip in the first place. The competition was fairly judged and ran smoothly.

It was a humbling experience to say the least. I did not hit the numbers I planned on hitting, but I will not make excuses....I can only focus on getting stronger.

My hope is that everyone here on the GripBoard (whether you attended or didn't attend) fully understands how much self-less dedication it requires to organize a competition like this. Guys like Jedd, Andrew, Luke and maybe a few others both competed AND judged.....and I'm sure that makes an already really long day even longer and it draws on your energy and focus.

I think a lot of us take for granted the cumulative years of consistent effort it has taken (across continents no less) to create a completely new sport from scratch with new implements and events constantly being created and tested with new rules always needing to be written and revised. That's an immense undertaking done for the love of the sport.

It's my humble suggestion that we all keep the contributions of these individuals in mind so that criticism is always constructive and respectful.

• Like 4

I just want to say that I had a blast at my first NAGSC. A huge thank you to Andrew for hosting along with everyone else who organized and judged. It was great to meet and shake the hands of many of the guys who I communicate with through the GripBoard and whose accomplishments inspired me to get involved with grip in the first place. The competition was fairly judged and ran smoothly.

It was a humbling experience to say the least. I did not hit the numbers I planned on hitting, but I will not make excuses....I can only focus on getting stronger.

My hope is that everyone here on the GripBoard (whether you attended or didn't attend) fully understands how much self-less dedication it requires to organize a competition like this. Guys like Jedd, Andrew, Luke and maybe a few others both competed AND judged.....and I'm sure that makes an already really long day even longer and it draws on your energy and focus.

I think a lot of us take for granted the cumulative years of consistent effort it has taken (across continents no less) to create a completely new sport from scratch with new implements and events constantly being created and tested with new rules always needing to be written and revised. That's an immense undertaking done for the love of the sport.

It's my humble suggestion that we all keep the contributions of these individuals in mind so that criticism is always constructive and respectful.

Right on, John... My hope was for this topic to not detract from my gratefulness that there are guys with the resources and commitment to put on a Nationals. We should all keep this in mind as we discuss ways to grow and improve as a sport. I really hope I didn't come across too negative.

• Like 2

I have looked at the David Horne design for his "Pick Axe" and his "tilt device". I have never tried one to see what amount of tilt may or may not be possible. But the idea of a "nut" glued in or on the handle with a ball bearing etc would be easy and certainly cheap enough to add on to our existing sledge set ups with almost no cost or work. It might be fun to "try one" anyway just to see if it allows the same amount of tilt??? I think the more important issue is going to be the method of gripping the handle allowed to be sure everyone is testing the same muscles etc???

Seems like a small Mercury switch like in an old school thermostat, battery and buzzer would be perfect to enable consistency and immediate feedback for judging.

- Aaron

This^^^

that is all.

My computer's not allowing me to multi-quote...so anyway...

Jon....agreed....my post was definitely not aimed at you....you brought up some valid points. I just wanted to give my perspective...

The mercury, battery, buzzer thing for sledge choke would be very cool! You would have to not only be strong, but demonstrate tremendous control as well...that puts a nice twist on it.

Here's a recommendation for the sledge choke.....perhaps we could use some type stopper/clamp (it could even be a small pony clamp) to delineate the distance from the hammer for attempts so it provides a positive stop for your hand. This would eliminate the need to judge whether someone's grip was good/behind the line or not.

I just want to say that I had a blast at my first NAGSC. A huge thank you to Andrew for hosting along with everyone else who organized and judged. It was great to meet and shake the hands of many of the guys who I communicate with through the GripBoard and whose accomplishments inspired me to get involved with grip in the first place. The competition was fairly judged and ran smoothly. It was a humbling experience to say the least. I did not hit the numbers I planned on hitting, but I will not make excuses....I can only focus on getting stronger. My hope is that everyone here on the GripBoard (whether you attended or didn't attend) fully understands how much self-less dedication it requires to organize a competition like this. Guys like Jedd, Andrew, Luke and maybe a few others both competed AND judged.....and I'm sure that makes an already really long day even longer and it draws on your energy and focus. I think a lot of us take for granted the cumulative years of consistent effort it has taken (across continents no less) to create a completely new sport from scratch with new implements and events constantly being created and tested with new rules always needing to be written and revised. That's an immense undertaking done for the love of the sport. It's my humble suggestion that we all keep the contributions of these individuals in mind so that criticism is always constructive and respectful.

This is very wisely put Wojo. Grip is a grassroots endeavor undertaken by people who like to squeeze things.

From an outsider's perspective, and as an avid follower of several other sports, I can say, I don't think Grip can be taken seriously as a sport when judges are also competitors. Yes, we all know each other and everyone's integrity is without question. This goes without saying. And I recognize that very few people are willing to put on a comp that they also don't get to partake in. However, I see this as a major obstacle to growth. There is a Chinese idiom: Tie not your shoe in the watermelon patch. Tip not your hat in the apple orchard.

This is not meant as a criticism at all. Simply different phases in the growth of a very young sport.

Edited by Mike Sharkey
  • Like 1

Agreed Jon.. not to detract from what anyone did sledgehammer wise.

Luke is one all-around strong dude no doubt... guy is a beast & works hard as anyone!!

I have looked at the David Horne design for his "Pick Axe" and his "tilt device". I have never tried one to see what amount of tilt may or may not be possible. But the idea of a "nut" glued in or on the handle with a ball bearing etc would be easy and certainly cheap enough to add on to our existing sledge set ups with almost no cost or work. It might be fun to "try one" anyway just to see if it allows the same amount of tilt??? I think the more important issue is going to be the method of gripping the handle allowed to be sure everyone is testing the same muscles etc???

Seems like a small Mercury switch like in an old school thermostat, battery and buzzer would be perfect to enable consistency and immediate feedback for judging.

- Aaron

I was thinking the same thing.

So is this going to be a traveling set of Grippers for all sanctioned contests? Just for Nats?

This is a great idea.

I'm glad everyone liked the standardized grippers. That was a 2+ year project by many.

So is this going to be a traveling set of Grippers for all sanctioned contests? Just for Nats?

It will be based on RENTAL. A very small group of people invested in this batch of grippers, so it will not be just sent off to any old contest.

• Like 2

Much appreciated, John.

It will be based on RENTAL. A very small group of people invested in this batch of grippers, so it will not be just sent off to any old contest.

Still an amazing idea. That's why I personally find the Mash Monster Ladder so interesting. I know I will be closing the exact same gripper as everyone else on the list. Very cool.