Starting Strength Log

dlewis8589

Your squats are looking great! I should start training them again soon.

Thanks man, I appreciate it! Honestly I did not think I could take SS up to a 185 squat, but today 180 felt strong, so now I honestly have no idea how far I'm gonna be able to take it. I think its because i'm finally learning how to eat properly, i'm at 170 now. Well that and my 1000 calorie secret weapon I chug every night before bed ;)

I need to get my bench caught up with yours though lol

That's some serious weight gain, brother.

531 has my bench ballooning, and I'm hoping to be nearing 250 by the end of year.

But do remember, I'm a weird exception... my squat lags and I'd only in the neighborhood of 175. Lol

That's some serious weight gain, brother.

531 has my bench ballooning, and I'm hoping to be nearing 250 by the end of year.

But do remember, I'm a weird exception... my squat lags and I'd only in the neighborhood of 175. Lol

Glad to see 531 is working out for you bud. If you don't mind me asking, how does your bench outweigh your squat by so much?

I think my previous comment was confusing, so here are some estimated weights for my current lifts:

Bench-215

Squat-175

Deadlift-275

Probably the biggest reason my squat lags is because I started out by not enjoying it. It was a chore, unlike other lifts.

I have long skinny legs, so my initial squat of 125 also had a hard time growing. I've been told I have good form on all lifts, but I personally think my squat form is mediocre, compared to my bench which I think I have stellar form.

Pair that with my dislike of high rep squats and my new focus on DLs, so I just took it out of the program altogether.

Not that I didn't try hard to like squats. I've done two cycles on SS and two cycles of super squats, too.

I think my previous comment was confusing, so here are some estimated weights for my current lifts:

Bench-215

Squat-175

Deadlift-275

Probably the biggest reason my squat lags is because I started out by not enjoying it. It was a chore, unlike other lifts.

I have long skinny legs, so my initial squat of 125 also had a hard time growing. I've been told I have good form on all lifts, but I personally think my squat form is mediocre, compared to my bench which I think I have stellar form.

Pair that with my dislike of high rep squats and my new focus on DLs, so I just took it out of the program altogether.

Not that I didn't try hard to like squats. I've done two cycles on SS and two cycles of super squats, too.

You know that is EXACTLY how i feel about bench In relation to my squat. I loved the squat since day one, it gives me a kind of "euphoria", for lack of a better term, when I do them, and i'm always fine tuning my form. Bench on the other hand, is hard, hurts my wrist, i'm moving baby weight and I just plain don't like it. The next program I plan on doing is a texas method templet I found with no bench, but overhead press variations every workout. So i totally see where your coming from bro

Good to know I'm not the only one with such a dislike for a single lift.

I guess it's good to keep trucking on despite this.

Pressing lends itself to bench, and I pull sumo DLs so maybe that'll give me a modest increase to my squat.

6/10/2014

Power Clean: 3x3-125lbs

Front Squat: 3x5-160lbs

After my third set of cleans I got really intense pain in my right elbow so i stopped. Even during front squats my right arm was shaking. I'm gonna have to drop the weight allot and MASTER form because this elbow pain is ridiculous

6/12/2014

Squat: 3x5-185lbs

Overhead Press: 3x5-95lbs

Deadlift: 1x5-225lbs

Didn't have time for dips today

6/14/2014

Power Clean: 4x3-95lbs

Front Squat: 3x5-165lbs

Elbow started hurting bad again after the fourth set, front squats were tough. These last few workouts I really haven't been mentally right, and my elbow is pretty bad so I think i'm gonna take this next week off

Don't do cleans again until you can keep the rack position without pain. (I'm guessing this is when it hurts.)

Don't want develop anything bad and chronic. Stretches would probably do you well.

• Like 1

Take a light clean weight and let it sit in the racked position for a few sets of 30 seconds. It will help improve your flexibility. You could also do your pressing before your lower body work to warm up the elbows before the cleans. I don't see much carryover from cleans to strongman unless they are continental so perhaps sub them out in favor of an event you have access to or can replicate. Electron has the right idea, it's not worth an injury.

Don't do cleans again until you can keep the rack position without pain. (I'm guessing this is when it hurts.)

Don't want develop anything bad and chronic. Stretches would probably do you well.

Take a light clean weight and let it sit in the racked position for a few sets of 30 seconds. It will help improve your flexibility. You could also do your pressing before your lower body work to warm up the elbows before the cleans. I don't see much carryover from cleans to strongman unless they are continental so perhaps sub them out in favor of an event you have access to or can replicate. Electron has the right idea, it's not worth an injury.

Thanks for the advice guys. I did a little research and I think I hurt my tricep tendon. It doesn't feel like any tendentious i've had and it hurts right above the back of my elbow. I couldn't of hurt it to bad though because I have no problems straightening my elbow and when doing nothing it doesn't even hurt. But when I do cleans, grippers, or any pressing it flares up and hurts worse than any tendentious i've had. I guess i'll just take it easy this week and see if it gets better.

Matt, one question, are continental cleans as hard to learn as regular ones? I was under the impression that I needed a good power clean before I try continental

I'm late, but congrats on the #2.5 close!

• Like 1

I'm late, but congrats on the #2.5 close!

Thanks Chez! Yah i've been following a new routine and it seems to be working ;)

• Like 1

Hey,

Late congrats from me too on the close!

Im strugling to close mine #2.5 last gap
Some tips? :)

Have a great day!

Jüri

I would say that continentals and power cleans are two very different lifts. Proficiency at one is not required to succeed at the other. It only requires a strong grip and explosive deadlift capability

6/26/2014

Squat: 3x5-170lbs

Deadlift: 1x5-225lbs

Dips: 1x5-BW

1x5-BW+7.5 lbs

1x5-BW+15 lbs

1x5-BW+20 lbs

1x5-BW+25 lbs

My first workout in 1-1/2 weeks, my elbow feels 10x better, but still has a dull ache. Weight pr for the dips so that was good.

Hey,

Late congrats from me too on the close!

Im strugling to close mine #2.5 last gap

Some tips? :)

Have a great day!

Jüri

Hey man, thank you! Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Theirs a million ways to cover the last gap of a goal gripper, and allot more experienced people you can ask, so i'll just say what worked for me.

First and foremost, I closed the 2.5 because my set was HORRIBLE and only a week after really fixing my set I closed it. But what actually got me the strength to close the 2.5(and my #2) was choked over crushes at around 25mm. I hope this helps!

I would say that continentals and power cleans are two very different lifts. Proficiency at one is not required to succeed at the other. It only requires a strong grip and explosive deadlift capability

If thats the case I think i'm gona sub power cleans for them then

6/28/2014

Continental Clean(not axle): 5x2-105lbs

Front Squat: 3x5-150lbs

Close Grip Incline Bench: 3x5-95lbs

Pull ups- 1x8-BW

1x5-BW

1x4-BW

So I've changed a few things on B day. Switching out power cleans for continental cleans because I would like to eventually be a strongman competitor. These were interesting to say the least, they take allot of energy, definantly something that will make a man outa you. When I decided to stay at 105 I switched to a mixed grip because thats how i'll do it on an axle and it actually made it a bit harder. They were allot of fun though and I can't wait to train them hard, planning on ordering a rogue axle soon.

I also decided to switch out flat bench with close grip incline to help my overhead press, and just because I don't like flat bench. I liked these, i feel once I get used to the movement i'll get 115x3x5 easy. Plus they seem like a good triceps exercise that a can keep in the 5 rep range, because I don't care for weighted dips that low.

First and foremost, I closed the 2.5 because my set was HORRIBLE and only a week after really fixing my set I closed it. But what actually got me the strength to close the 2.5(and my #2) was choked over crushes at around 25mm. I hope this helps!

Hey man, thank you! Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Theirs a million ways to cover the last gap of a goal gripper, and allot more experienced people you can ask, so i'll just say what worked for me.

Hey, no problem!

Yea, that's the thing I just tryed 2 times (last 2 workouts), choked closes. Started from 11mm and next one will be 13mm, will see how far it goes. From ccs close there is like 7mm gap... Maybe must try with chalk but dont know if it is the reason, because i feel my gripper sits good. But thatnks for info! Even if its choked, it feels nice when handles closes, hehe.

Have a nice day! And keep up your exelent work!

Jüri

Time to update the log. I was in Charleston for a few days and missed thursdays workout.

7/1/2014

Squat: 3x5-175lbs

Deadlift: 1x5-230lbs

1x5-BW+7.5 lbs

1x8-BW+17.5lbs

2x5-BW+17.5lbs

7/5/2014

Continental Clean(not axle): 5x3-105lbs

Front Squat: 3x5-155lbs

Paused Close Grip Incline Bench: 3x5-95lbs

Pull ups- 2x6-BW

1x5-BW

7/1/2014

Squat: 3x5-180lbs

Overhead Press: 2x5-95lbs

1x4-95lbs

Deadlift: 1x5-235lbs

2x8-BW+17.5lbs

Squats felt really hard, missed last overhead press rep, But deadlifts felt great! It was crazy,I wasn't feeling too great going into them but as I warmed up everything just clicked.