Starting Strength Log

dlewis8589

Just a log Im gonna keep while Im doing a starting strength(ish) routing. I just started a few weeks ago as well with my gripper training, I am so close to a #2 close I can taste it lol.

Probably won't be the most exciting log on here but gotta start somewhere.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone and if you have any comments/suggestions please don't be shy!

03/30/2014

Squat: 3x5-105lbs

Overhead Press: 3x5-75lbs

Deadlift: 1x5-125lbs

Dips: BW-3x8

Plate Wrist Curls: 3x10-10lb plate

4/1/2014

Front Squat: 3x5-85lbs

Bench: 3x5-80lbs

Power Clean: 5x3-60lbs

Pullups: 3x5(just barely!)-BW

Reverse Plate Wrist Curl: 3x10-5lb plate

4/2/2014

Grippers-

Warmup then single attempts on my #2 for an hour.

Sooooo close

Edited by dlewis8589

4/3/2014

Squat: 3x5-110lbs

Overhead Press: 3x5-77.5lbs (last rep was sketchy, keep weight same)

Deadlift: 1x5-130lbs

Dips: 2x8-BW+5lbs

1x5-BW+5lbs

Plate Wrist Curl: 3x10- 10lbs

Good stuff!

Thanks Bud!

Starting strength is a program that I'm very familiar with... I've cycled it twice.

Your strength level is nearly identical to mine when I began this program a year ago. How much do you weigh?

Yori

Starting strength is a program that I'm very familiar with... I've cycled it twice.

Your strength level is nearly identical to mine when I began this program a year ago. How much do you weigh?

Yori

150lbs.

Yah im liking it so far, can't wait till the next time i dead lift so i can use the 45's lol!

How much did your lifts improve while running it? How long did you run it?

I've never tried Starting Strength, but I know a lot of people have gotten pretty darn strong with it. Good luck, and quick question, is the overhead press strict or push press.

I've never tried Starting Strength, but I know a lot of people have gotten pretty darn strong with it. Good luck, and quick question, is the overhead press strict or push press.

Strict

Welcome to the board bro, it's nice to meet you. I'll be following along and best of luck to you! Train hard and eat like it's you're last day on earth :-D

• Like 1

Welcome to the board bro, it's nice to meet you. I'll be following along and best of luck to you! Train hard and eat like it's you're last day on earth :-D

Thanks man! will do!

Honestly the eating is as hard as the training for me lol

Yori

150lbs.

Yah im liking it so far, can't wait till the next time i dead lift so i can use the 45's lol!

Just checked my log, and I ran the program 10 weeks for the first round.

I was untrained before I began, and I threw out my back a few weeks into the program. So if you keep healthy, you will get more out of it than I did.

Bench: 125 to 145 upon leaning form. 165 after program was completed.

Squat: 130 to 155

Deadlift: 200 to 275

My bodyweight remained constant at 127lbs. Only now am I learning how to eat.

A couple tips: make a smaller jump if you can. As a beginner with questionable form, it's better to get used to heavier weights slowly.

Cleans involve explosive movement and should be done before any other lifts.

Always emphasize form.

• Like 2

As a beginner with questionable form, it's better to get used to heavier weights slowly. Cleans involve explosive movement and should be done before any other lifts. Always emphasize form.

Good advice!

Yori

150lbs.

Just checked my log, and I ran the program 10 weeks for the first round.

I was untrained before I began, and I threw out my back a few weeks into the program. So if you keep healthy, you will get more out of it than I did.

Bench: 125 to 145 upon leaning form. 165 after program was completed.

Squat: 130 to 155

Deadlift: 200 to 275

My bodyweight remained constant at 127lbs. Only now am I learning how to eat.

A couple tips: make a smaller jump if you can. As a beginner with questionable form, it's better to get used to heavier weights slowly.

Cleans involve explosive movement and should be done before any other lifts.

Always emphasize form.

Wow! very Impressive progress at that bodyweight.

I watched some of your weighted pull up vids, those were insane!

Gives me allot of hope that i can achieve great strength gains without having to put on 50lbs.(although i wouldn't mind that at all).

Good point on the cleans, ill start doing that.

Do you think 5lbs a workout is too much? I know i won't be able to do that all that long but thats what the program says to do. I did get 1.25lb plates for OHP though.

Thank you!

Hey thanks, I appreciate it.

You can indeed get stronger without gaining weight. Just a week ago, I showed up at a grip comp after cutting 20lbs, and I was stronger than ever.

Though I should add that weight does help enormously, and we both could use some extra weight.

5 lbs a session should be perfect. Great move on the small plates.

Don't get too greedy and try to move up 10 lbs every session. Don't feel bad if you have to take some weight off, can't make a 5lbs increase, or if you have to get out the gym early.

It's all about strength in the long term.

Good job on the hurt you're giving the #2!

• Like 1

04/5/2014

Power Clean: 5x3-70lbs

Front Squat: 3x5-90lbs

Bench Press: 3x5-85lbs

Pullups: 2x5-BW

1x6-BW

Reverse Plate Wrist Curl: 3x10-6.25lbs

Grippers: Watched Paul Nights setting video to see if it would help me get that last cm, it didn't but that was one on the shortest gripper workouts I ever had. Spent the whole time trying to set like him and it beat the shit outa my hands! Im sorer now than from hour long sessions. The first time I've actually bled from grippers. I guess i just don't have decent enough thumb, wrist and upper body strength to set very well yet, my hands are 7.5 inches. Gonna get some chalk and see of that helps at all. Well I guess I know what I gotta keep practicing lol.

Quick question about setting, when he tells you the hand position to keep the gripper from sliding back, am I supposed to keep my wrist cocked back when I close or wrist parallel to the elbow and gripper perpendicular to the elbow?

Thanks again everyone for the support!

4/7/2014

Squat: 3x5-115lbs

Overhead Press: 3x5-77.5lbs

Deadlift: 1x5-135lbs

Dips: 3x8-BW+5lbs

Plate Wrist Curl: 3x10- 12.5lbs

04/9/2014

Power Clean: 5x3-75lbs

Front Squat: 3x5-95lbs

Bench Press: 3x5-90lbs

Pullups: 1x5-BW

2x6-BW

Reverse Plate Wrist Curl: 3x10-7.5lbs

4/11/2014

Squat: 3x5-120lbs

Overhead Press: 3x5-80lbs

Deadlift: 1x5-140lbs

Dips: 3x8-BW+7.5lbs

Plate Wrist Curl: 3x6-15lbs

I think I'm about to see your deadlift shoot up on this program.

Thanks bud, I sure hope so.

What makes you say?

Your squat strength is only 20 lbs off from your DL.

As technique and strength steadily increase, your deadlift will take itself a lot further than your squat. Skinny guys tend to get better at DLs than the other lifts, competitively.

And on top of that, you pull cleans regularly, which will help you too.