Exercises That Help With Closing Grippers

AbsuM

whats the best exercise to do that help with closing harder grippers (yes i know use grippers) but I'm wondering if there are any auxiliary exercises that help with crushing grip.

Many of the ideas that some of us are still sponging off of were contained in the 1998 VHS video by Joe Kinney, "Get A Grip". It was updated in 2009 to a DVD format, with recent interviews added.

That being said, "grip machines" are used by many with varying degrees of success.

First close more grippers as you mentioned. Second might be to develop a bigger thumb pad to hold the gripper in place in your hand. Third I think is to just plain get stronger in all the gripping muscles - especially your wrists. I haven't seen any real shortcut - it just takes some time and consistent work.

• Like 3

First close more grippers as you mentioned. Second might be to develop a bigger thumb pad to hold the gripper in place in your hand. Third I think is to just plain get stronger in all the gripping muscles - especially your wrists. I haven't seen any real shortcut - it just takes some time and consistent work.

Thumbpad, different types of pinch, thick to wide, maybe some TTK or a clamp for dynamic work. Plate pinch holds or hula hula.

Also, train your whole body. When you get a stronger upper body you'll need less effort to set the gripper in place.

Strong thumbs and strong wrists.

IMHO, sledge levers have good carryover to grippers

First off, yiu need to work out everything. Not only will being strong all over help close big grippers, but it full body regimens will increase testosterone which will increase strength in the hands.

Thumb work such as titans telegraph key from ironmind for building up the thumb pad.

Don't neglect your wrists! Strong wrists will help with setting big grippers and there is no way around this.

Plate loaded grip machines are awesome and also barbell rollouts. If you don't know what those are, check out the thread Chris rice is in the grip well, in the grip faq section of this board.

Lastly, rest and proper nutrition. Strength and size are built in the kitchen and in bed, not in the gym.

Edited by Anthony C.

First off, yiu need to work out everything. Not only will being strong all over help close big grippers, but it full body regimens will increase testosterone which will increase strength in the hands.

Thumb work such as titans telegraph key from ironmind for building up the thumb pad.

Don't neglect your wrists! Strong wrists will help with setting big grippers and there is no way around this.

Plate loaded grip machines are awesome and also barbell rollouts. If you don't know what those are, check out the thread Chris rice is in the grip well, in the grip faq section of this board.

Lastly, rest and proper nutrition. Strength and size are built in the kitchen and in bed, not in the gym.

i do all of this. just wondering if stuff like weighted hangs have any carry over

First off, yiu need to work out everything. Not only will being strong all over help close big grippers, but it full body regimens will increase testosterone which will increase strength in the hands.Thumb work such as titans telegraph key from ironmind for building up the thumb pad.Don't neglect your wrists! Strong wrists will help with setting big grippers and there is no way around this.Plate loaded grip machines are awesome and also barbell rollouts. If you don't know what those are, check out the thread Chris rice is in the grip well, in the grip faq section of this board.Lastly, rest and proper nutrition. Strength and size are built in the kitchen and in bed, not in the gym.

i do all of this. just wondering if stuff like weighted hangs have any carry over
Dont no? You could always just try it. Thats what i do i try different stuff
  • Like 1

K bro good luck then joe kinney jr

I think Anthony gave some dam good advice.

i agree his advice is solid but I'm just saying Ive gotten all that advice a few years ago when i started working out in general. eat right get sleep an workout and all that. i was just wondering if any other specify exercises help. but yeah eating right and lifting weight came way before grip

i agree his advice is solid but I'm just saying Ive gotten all that advice a few years ago when i started working out in general. eat right get sleep an workout and all that. i was just wondering if any other specify exercises help. but yeah eating right and lifting weight came way before grip
when blood started to fill up around my thumbnail and my

Wrist and hands swollen the next morning after hard gripper training, thats how i closed the 3 and Elite in a very short time. I created a

plan and stuck to it. For me it was benchpress and hacksquat supersets with grippers 2 to 3 times a week, Also i attempted my coc3

Everyday i had my girlfriend record it just incase and the simple fact having a hot girl around makes you perform to your max. Then the day came.. after blood sweat and callus i closed it. Never felt more proud then that, here is my first 3 close

Also putting on mass really helps alot.

One exercise I would recommend is plate curls. I do mine with a homemade iron mind stacker for about 10-20 reps. I like the high reps to build a base and to build up the tendons in the area. I'm not sure how much carryover there is to the grippers, but it builds amazing wrist strength and I'd recommend you put it in your routine. Once a week would suffice but it's down to preference.

As for people recommending training more with grippers and get rest etc. maybe you could file down some of your grippers to work beyond the range. This should prove beneficial.

Hope that helps.

I said ttk, plate loaded grip machine and barbell rollouts. Aside from that, closing grippers will get you better at closing grippers.

Throw in some indoor rock climbing now & then. Nothing pushes your hands like holding onto something for dear life.

• Like 1

Wrist and hands swollen the next morning after hard gripper training, thats how i closed the 3 and Elite in a very short time. I created a

plan and stuck to it. For me it was benchpress and hacksquat supersets with grippers 2 to 3 times a week, Also i attempted my coc3

Everyday i had my girlfriend record it just incase and the simple fact having a hot girl around makes you perform to your max. Then the day came.. after blood sweat and callus i closed it. Never felt more proud then that, here is my first 3 close

awesome man. I've been hearing a lot about heavy squats helping out as well. glad to hear you got the 3

great advice guys. ill have to start doing some plate curls (never done this before)

awesome man. I've been hearing a lot about heavy squats helping out as well. glad to hear you got the 3great advice guys. ill have to start doing some plate curls (never done this before)

Plate curls are an amazing exercise. I only tried them out because John Brookfield recommended them in his book "mastery of hand strength". After a few sessions you'll notice your finger flexors getting thicker, if that makes any sense. Do them more or less to failure and you'll be surprised at the pump you get in the wrists.

I'm new to the grip game so maybe some things work for me because I'm a noob.

That said what I found being really effective is pull ups with IM eagle loops.

Also high rep curls/tosses with strongergrip's red rafter although that's pretty similar to plate curls you gents are talking about.

Just wanted to ask about training the hand extensors.. would training them 'greasing-the-groove' style, or more often in the week help with closing higher grippers or getting more reps on your current gripper in your next workout?

Thanks.

Just wanted to ask about training the hand extensors.. would training them 'greasing-the-groove' style, or more often in the week help with closing higher grippers or getting more reps on your current gripper in your next workout?

Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean by "greasing the groove" but it's important to train them regularly so you don't end up with imbalances that could cause tendinitis. I don't know how much they will help with closing grippers directly but, as Mark Bell says, "Strength is never a weakness"

Thanks.

I've had success with that in the past. I would do a fast triple with something I could do 10+ on once every hour throughout the day everyday for a couple weeks to GTG. Something generally in the 70% range for me so I could do it without warmup. Seemed to give a nice bump. Worked well with submaximal bending too.

Used something similar before my last comp to peak up the grippers where I would do a fast double or triple every time I walked through my training room (few times a day) for the last 2-3 weeks before the comp. I closed a 194# #4 in that comp and nearly got the 199# closed. Was doing similar stuff with the pinch too. Made the closes very explosive and snappy.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn
  • Like 1

Anything that gives you a big thumb pad. For credit card i feel thickbar and thick pinch help a ton.