Log: Getting As Strong As When I Was 25 By The Time I'm 40

Royz

The very low energy combined with not sleeping well reminds me of when I was over-training. Over time, the routine will wear on you. Also, when fatigued some people take stimulants, but they're counterproductive. A little rest and active rest will have you back in top form quicker.

Training september 15th

Bit cooler today, energy seems better.

Squats 531
Last sets 3x157,5kg/ 3x160kg

Bench press 531
Last set 10x110kg

No grip this week.

For assistance: Dumbbell floor presses, dumbbell rows, Anderson squats, rear delt, abs.

On 1/28/2014 at 9:24 AM, Royz said:

NO I'M NOT HAVING A MIDLIFE CRISIS.

In fact I started training with weights when I was 16 and still a track athlete. I got hooked on weights and never stopped. But I had seriously lost my focus for a bunch of years due to accumulating injuries and demands of daily life. I continued training 3 times a week, but without focus and real goals it often felt like I was just going through the motions.

About 2,5/3 years ago I 'discovered' gripsport and this started a spark in me and got me back on track again. After almost 3 years i haven't lost any of my new found enthusiasm yet. I'm still sporting many injuries but I'm getting smarter at training around them and avoiding new ones. And I do a lot of rehab on off days. I'm already the strongest I've been since I was 30.

Perhaps there are people on the board which are in a similar situation as me and maybe my log could be helpfull to them. Any advice on training, injury prevention and injury rehab would greatly be appreciated too.

Current injuries:

- Both knees are bad. Since very recently I can do deadlifts again. I can do light legpresses, but no squats for now.

- Curently mild lateral tendonitis in both elbows. I've had serious tendonitis in both elbows and both lateral and medial.

- Back of left shoulder. Can't do normal bench pressing, but I can do it with a narrower grip. Can do heavy dips, but can only do light overhead pressing. I've had numerous other shoulder injuries over the years, both left and right.

Current rehab ( I will try to expand on this in future posts):

- Shoulders: Streching and rubber tubing work 3 times a week.

- Knees: Mainly stretching every day. Quads, hamstrings, calves and hips.

- Hands/elbows: icing after every workout, stretching and massaging everyday. Eccentric wrist extensor work + twisting dumbbell 3 times a week

And now on to the serious stuff. I'm currently 38 and want to hit my all time pr's on a number of lifts. Besides those there are also some gripgoals I want to get in 2014.

General strenght goals 2014/2015:

Benchpress 1x145kg/320lbs (current 1x130kg/286lbs, but with much narrower grip than when I was 25 due to shoulder injury)

Deadlift 1x220kg/485lbs (current 3x170kg/375lbs, only started deadlifting again 3 weeks ago)

Dips bodyweight + 40kg/88lbs x 6reps (got this one! current: bodyweight +50kg/110lbs x 4 reps)

Overhead press 1x100kg/220lbs (this will be the hardest one, I've done 1x90kg/198lbs a couple of months ago, but shoulder got worse after that. On my way back now)

Legs? currently no real goals in this department unfortunately due to chronic knee injury. Pr's all time squat: 6x180kg/386lbs, leg press 12x420kg/925lbs.

Grip goals summer 2014:

Rolling thunder 1x90 kg/198lbs (current 1x85kg left and right)

Grippers right 1x mms #3 left 1x mms #2.5 (current: right 8xmms #2.5/3xmms RB240, left 8xmms #2)

Platecurl 1x20kg/44lbs (current 3x15kg/33lbs - diameter of plate is the same as the 20kg plate, also did an ugly rep with two smaller 10kg plates in one hand)

2HP Currently waiting on David Horne to have his pinch plates back in stock again. (pr with 56mm pinchblock, 1x85kg/187lbs). No idea how this compairs to actual europinch. I think 56mm is slightly too wide for me)

Ok. So that is that. But is it doable? Some pros and cons for me being 25/38.

Pros 25 year old me:

- No serious injuries

- used to train 3-4 times a week

- Faster recovery

Cons 25 year old me:

- Trained more for size than strenght

- Didn't pay much attention to technique

- Didn't know how to programm very well

- Never heard of CNS

Pros 38 year old me:

- Training specifically for strenght not size

- Much more attention to technique

- Thinking about and tweeking my programm constantly

Cons 38 year old me:

- Many many injuries

- I only train twice a week

- Recovery is slower

I think it's doable as long as my body holds together. Fortunately I wasn't THAT strong when I was 25. The overhead press worries me the most.

Sorry for this very lenghty introduction post.

My next post will be a training session and a short overview of the programm I'm currently doing.

Roy

Height: 192cm/6.3"

Weight: 102kg/225lbs

Hand size: right 20cm/7,87", left 20,5cm/8"

Hand span: right/left: 22cm/8,66"

Have you seen these tables? http://www.mastersweightlifting.org/forms/malone.htm Based on the date of your original post, you're 40 years old now, so multiply your current max by 1.136 and compare it with the max you had at age 25. I was quite strong when I was 19 (raw Olympic Squat with belt, 8" foot stance, and heels elevated on a 2"x4" board: 500x5, 405x16, 365x21, 315x30), so I'm chasing a 500 lb. squat by age 50 (I'm 47). I now do parallel power squats, because Olympic squats don't agree with my knees and back. I can do 6 singles with 392 lb. using a 52 lb. Ironmind Buffalo Bar. If my bulging lower-back discs and shoulder problems stay in check, I think that I can exceed a 500 lb. again. Squat and overall grip training are my favorite training areas. Good luck, Heath 

14 hours ago, heathdwatts said:

Well if you put it that way I seem to have already broken all of my PR's! But I really want to match the actual numbers. If my shoulders and knees stay sort of healthy I still believe I can get there (given myself time till 45?). 'Luckily' my numbers are not as high as yours at age 19!:cool Best of luck to you Heath.

Training september 19th

DO deadlift 531
Last sets 3x190kg/ 2x195kg
Miscalculated my last set. It should have been 195kg instead of 190kg. Ended up doing 195kg after my set with 190kg anyway, but did spend some of my energy on that set with 190kg unfortunately.

DO barbell hold
195kg x35sec.

Overhead press 531

Last set 5x75kg
Stupid right shoulder...

Dumbbell lift with Fatgripz
Last set 4x63kg
I don't get it. 3 weeks ago I did 3x70kg. Today I struggled with 63kg even though I didn't do any grip last week to recover.

For assistance: Rack pulls, Overhead pin press, Inverted rows, Floor rotations, abs.

On 9/19/2016 at 3:41 AM, Royz said:

Well if you put it that way I seem to have already broken all of my PR's! But I really want to match the actual numbers. If my shoulders and knees stay sort of healthy I still believe I can get there (given myself time till 45?). 'Luckily' my numbers are not as high as yours at age 19!:cool Best of luck to you Heath.

Good luck to you, too. I bet you'll exceed your numbers!

Training september 22nd

Squats 531
Last set 1x165kg
Last week squats felt stronger. Still the most weight I've had on my back in 10? years time! Going to reset my weights for squats and do another couple of 531 cycles to hopefully built up to a new post 40 PR (170kg?).

Bench press
Last sets 3x117,5kg/ 3x120kg
Arms felt fatigued, but can't complain.

Grip
Still going like sh*t. Hopefully I will get 'the feeling' back before october 29th when Dutch strongest hands takes place! Going toa bit of extra grip work and some less general strength work over the next few weeks. For instance my hub strength definitely needs work if I don't want to mess that up in the medley. I suck at hub, it's so awkward.

Training september 27th

DO deadlift 531
Last set 7x180kg
Nice.

DO barbell hold
180kgx40sec.

Overhead press 531
Last set 8x68,5kg
Right shoulder is aggravating.:angry:

Dumbbell lift with fatgripz
Last set 4x61kg
Has anybody seen my fatbar strength? I seem to have lost it...

Also did: V-bar 50mm, Floor rotations 50mm, Fat wrist curls, Rack pulls from mid shin, inverted rows.

• 2 weeks later...

Training oktober 4th

DO deadlift 531
Last set 4x190kg

Overhead press 531
Last sets 3x72,5kg/ 3x75kg

Fatgripz on revolving handle
Up to 3x70kg

Also did: floor rotations, KB bottom up press, KB swings, rear delt stuff.

Training oktober 11th

Have not been logging very consistently lately, because training just wasn't going very well. But today was good, so I'm logging it!

DO deadlift 531
Up to 1x210kg!!
Woohoo finally a breakthrough with deadlifting. Had been feeling tired all day, but I knew I had to do 1x200kg today according to the 531 planning. However I wasn't really feeling like reppin so I just did a bunch of singles to slowly work up to that weight. To my surprise 200kg went up fairly smoothly, so I put on 205kg which also went up reasonably smooth. I sort of wanted to call it there, but I still felt a little urge to go heavier. So I put on 210kg and with a little bit of a fight it went up to full lockout!

Overhead 531
Up to 1x80kg
Could've gotten 85kg probably but shoulder just started to hurt too much. Going to see a therapist (again) next week.

Also did: V-bar cable rows, DU pull downs, KB bottom ups and KB swings.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey dude. Just read about the comp. huge congrats on the win!

9 hours ago, Chez said:

Hey dude. Just read about the comp. huge congrats on the win!

Tnx Chez! Was a bit of a surprise to me. Some strong dudes, but my grip turned out to be the most allround this time. My pinch was by far the best that day, but really have to work on grippers and fatbar if I want to stand a chance next year. But this first title is in the pocket.:rock