"can You" Test...

Cannon

I am interested in suggestions for a "can you" test that I have been considering for the store to help people make an educated guess at a starting set of grippers. Maybe 10 questions and each time you answer "yes" then you get a point. Then the number of points can correlate to a starting suggestion. Like 7 points, start with T/1/2. Here are a few I thought of to give you an idea:

"Can you hang by one hand on a pull-up bar?"

"Have you ever had a manual labor job?"

"Can you dead lift 300 pounds for 1 rep without straps?"

"Are you an active climber?"

Like that. Just questions where the average person would know the answer and a "yes" answer could indicate a better base for grip strength.

Post your question ideas.

• Like 1

Can you climb a rope?

Do you often impress your friends with your grip?

Do people tell you you have a firm handshake?

Thanks Anthony! That's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.

Post your ideas guys. There are no wrong quesitons in brainstorming.

Something that might give interesting answers - "Do you think you have a strong grip?"

• Like 1

Are you an active judoka or wrestler?

Can you do dumbbell rows with 100/150lbs without straps?

Can you do wrist curls with 75lbs or more?

Can you crush an apple with one hand?

Can you lift a 10lbs sledge hammer by the end of the handle with the head behind you? (Or in front)

Can you do a towel pull up?

Have you done any strongman training?

Can you hold 60# dumbbells for a minute?

can you deadlift 300+ without chalk or straps?

Can you hang by one hand on a pull-up bar?

Can you pick up a dumbbell with one hand that ways 50kg+?

What wrist size and hand size do you have?

I have a friend who can do all of the above but cannot close a gripper rated at anything near 50kg.

• Like 1

can you deadlift 300+ without chalk or straps?

Can you hang by one hand on a pull-up bar?

Can you pick up a dumbbell with one hand that ways 50kg+?

What wrist size and hand size do you have?

I have a friend who can do all of the above but cannot close a gripper rated at anything near 50kg.

I agree that the test could suffer from this problem. But the idea is just a general guide that is hopefully better than nothing.

The test could have the opposite problem too. I'm skinny, not big hands, never trained full body exercises much, can't dead lift for crap, and closed the #1 right off the bat.

• Like 1

So hard to gauge where to start beginners off with :huh:

Perhaps put them into categorys? like for example if you can deadlift 300+ without chalk/ straps or can dead hang with one hand and if you can do this and meet this criteria you should be encouraged to try atleast a #2 or something similar.

I dunno... I think if you've never done it before, you should start with a trainer And #1 (or something equivalent). Just to build up and get used to it before you start trying to go heavy.

Personally I think the best test is a one hand row or one hand dl on an OLY bar.

Mike, sorry I hit a wrong button and accidentally deleted this post. It's way too easy on the mobile site. Luckily I hit "back" and it let me quote it.

How much weight do you think for the one hand oly deadlift?

Yeah I gotta say, when I first bought the trainer gripper many years ago, I could already Deadlift over.300 with no straps but it took a few Weeks training before I could close that gripper.

dunno. but i think there is going to be a correlation. maybe 150# is a Coc #2. 225 is getting close to a #2.5

I could deadlift 515 mixed grip with no straps, but couldn't close a #2

I think the correlation will be one handed. maybe DO as a secondary indicator.

• Like 1

I think questions questions like "have you ever done strongman style training" and those pertaining to hand size would be good.

This is a good idea, but do you think it might be a problem for people who feel "misled" and end up with something way too easy or hard? I guess there are always going to be people complaining about something anyways, as long as they know it's just a general guide it should be alright.

• Like 1

I mean, it's a good point, and when people email me and we try and figure out what is best these are the kinds of things we're talking about anyway.

What about "Do you have a good vertical jump?"

Something about the right kind of muscle fibers.

I mean, it's a good point, and when people email me and we try and figure out what is best these are the kinds of things we're talking about anyway.

What about "Do you have a good vertical jump?"

Something about the right kind of muscle fibers.

I'm not shure anything like that relates to handstrenght.

I think overall body strenght relates to handstrenght a little bit. I mean if you can deadlift 600lbs you can probably crush the #2. But there will also be people who can't deadlift 300lbs who can also crush the #2.

Two fun ones:

Can you easily bend a beercap between your thumb and indexfinger?

Can you crush a mentos between your thumb and indexfinger? (much harder than beercap)

The good thing is, if someone is just starting out with grippers, chances are they're not going to know how to professionally set a gripper and may not be looking for something they can MMS for one or two reps. When I first started, I only knew how to pick up a gripper and try to close it with basically no set. I waited till I could do about 10 CCS reps on a trainer before I progressed to the 1 (back then there was no point 5 and I didn't know BB grippers existed). So I think as long as the trainer and number 1 are in a beginner's set, they're going to be a happy customer.

• Like 1

Sporting goods store grippers are always a good question... Everyone has tried them. Tho they have gotten much harder than they used to be.

That seems to be the easiest gauge.