1/4 Inch Cold Rolled Steel

TylerA

All depends on the brand. I never really messed with 1/4 crs just 1/4 stainless and grade2 1/4 6in bolts

You may wanna even try a grade5 1/4 6in bolt. Just get various stock to try ..

And at some point you will need some 7in stock to practice for the red

That inch makes a word of difference.....

• Like 1

Tyler,

First off, nice job on that bend.

I've studied steel and had more stock calibrated than you can imagine so I'll try and shed some light on your question.

First, the 60d nails. Average 60d takes about 250 to 275 pounds of pressure to bend. I've had them calibrated at 210 pounds all the way up to freaky 480 pounds. Anything over 300 pounds is a pretty mean 60d though.

Now, cold rolled steel can also have a lot of variance depending on the brand and other factors. If you bought this cold rolled steel in the 3 or 4 foot pre-made sections then it's likely easier. The 1018 cold rolled steel you buy from a steel supplier is almost always tougher and more comparable to a 60d. If the cold rolled steel you are bending is the zinc-plated stuff then it's even noticeably easier but it's very mild carbon steel. Steel works and National are 2 brands of the easier stuff.

Trying a 6 inch G5 bolt is good advice but could be a frustrating jump up from what you are bending now. If you have a Fastenal near by, try some 1/4 inch drill rod. Also, I've gotten some 1045 1/4 inch cold rolled steel from Fastenal before and it's a good bridge to the G5 bolt.

Also, where did you buy your 60d nails? Griprites from Lowes are usually the easier ones but they also can vary a lot and the last batch I just bought are surprisingly hard. If you can find Keystones or the American made Mazels, those are usually very consistant and in the low 300ish pounds. Mazel also has some Chinese made ones now that I haven't tried.

Hope this helps.

Tyler,

Just checked out your other videos and loved the "pot holder" bend. I can remember first starting and using kitchen towels and whatever I could find to start bending.

I started out with table cloths..

Lol tell me about it, bending junkies are fix is a

New order of steel or some hareware store goodies

Lol

Tell me about it. Many a times have me and family been on vacation and I spot a nice little hardware store and a couple minutes and a U-turn later and I'm on my way to check out the goodies.

Lol

They don't say anything about double overhand bending in the description, but I'm pretty sure they'll work :)

They'll be good for warmups before too long, but where I seen most of my gains was really pushing myself and going at a bar that I knew was just out of my reach and slowly but surely bending it over a session or two after I warm up of course. I'd go with Tom's previous comment about the g5 1/4x6

• Like 1

Thats fine i would also suggest the beginner bag from fbbc..

That is a good price on a 50 pound box. I might look at some of those myself.

As for how hard they are? Like I said above, totally depends on the batch. I've never had a bright 60d that was under 250 pounds though so I'd say it's a pretty safe bet. I'll agree with the above post about attacking a piece of steel outside your range and basically getting some iso work in but I also know that I need to bend some steel to keep it interesting. Also, when I'm in a bending session, I like to work my way up and warm up good and that's usually when I do my best work.

Also, if you can bend a 60d in some quickly applied single wraps, you can show off to the non-bending world and they will pretty much be awe-struck. I've bent G5s and G8s for people and the 60d gets as much of a response if not better.

Later

That is a good price on a 50 pound box. I might look at some of those myself.

As for how hard they are? Like I said above, totally depends on the batch. I've never had a bright 60d that was under 250 pounds though so I'd say it's a pretty safe bet. I'll agree with the above post about attacking a piece of steel outside your range and basically getting some iso work in but I also know that I need to bend some steel to keep it interesting. Also, when I'm in a bending session, I like to work my way up and warm up good and that's usually when I do my best work.

Also, if you can bend a 60d in some quickly applied single wraps, you can show off to the non-bending world and they will pretty much be awe-struck. I've bent G5s and G8s for people and the 60d gets as much of a response if not better.

Later

Its because most people have no idea how incredibly strong G8 bolts are. By looks alone, the 60D is more of a beast!

Find a steel retailer where you can buy lengths of steel. Cold Roll comes in 12' lengths but most places will cut it in half (usually for no charge) so you can fit it in your car if necessary, I just bought 3 12' lengths of 1/4" CRR (cold roll round) yesterday - it cost $12.10 plus tax - and it will fit uncut into a mini van, barely.

I do the same i paid 8 bucks at the local machine shop and

Got 40 7" 5/16th peices and they are about like a red;)