5/8 Inch Tetting Grippers

MIKE HALEY RILEY CLOE

I've been searching the forums for some threads on these. Haven't come up with much. Does anyone use them? Or find them as valuable training tools?

I had 2 of them and sold them pretty quick. I just didn't like the feel. The smaller handles make the force on the palm concentrated to a smaller area so it stings the palm more when using a real heavy gripper. Setting them felt strange since there is less handle to grab. They also pinch the skin on my palm more at the close. It was a good idea to try but I don't think they work well. If you are interested in beyond the range training, filing a regular handled gripper will feel better and probably have more carry over.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

I had 2 of them and sold them pretty quick. I just didn't like the feel. The smaller handles make the force on the palm concentrated to a smaller area so it stings the palm more when using a real heavy gripper. Setting them felt strange since there is less handle to grab. They also pinch the skin on my palm more at the close. It was a good idea to try but I don't think they work well. If you are interested in beyond the range training, filing a regular handled gripper will feel better and probably have more carry over.

Who are you...and how did you hack Chez's account?

The Chez I know would never, ever recommend the filing of a gripper. He would sooner cut off a limb of his child.

• Like 4

Who are you...and how did you hack Chez's account?

The Chez I know would never, ever recommend the filing of a gripper. He would sooner cut off a limb of his child.

haha, True. I have never filed a gripper. I consider that gripper abuse.

• Like 2

Thanks for that information. I was kind if wondering that. My thumb doesn't have much mobility , I have a surgical post in it. I was thinking I could get the palm side handle to set a little deeper in my palm. So your assessment is appreciated! Of course I'm always adding to my collection anyway.

I like them up to the SM and then agree with Chez's comments after that.

I can get these a la carte by the way. I can just add them to my next order from tetting.

• Like 1

Thanks Cannon for the reply, and info. Funny you should say that-----been in contact with Theodore on some of these. Actually waiting for a reply from him. I have to admit been to your site quite a bit today also. May order some yet!

Thought of another question, and sorry to "beat a dead horse" :) I've been looking through the ratings list, and I know and understand that i.e. a 5/8 GM vs 3/4 GM will be harder. BUT, has anyone calibrated any of the 5/8 grippers? Or are they on a list somewhere (rough est. even) that I may have missed? I understand why a lot of guys are not crazy about them in the heavier grippers. But , my hand and forearm is set up a bit different then it used to be, because of some surgeries. Thumb doesn't have the flexibility , nor does my wrist. So my thinking was if I could the palm side handle in a smaller diameter (such as the 5/8), that I may be able to get my thumb pad around it better, for training at least. I understand it will probably feel different, and be (even :grin:)more painful then standard grippers. Sorry to be long winded, its the coffee.

My 5/8 Elite was rated at 173. I think someone once said they come in around 10 percent higher rating that the regular 3/4 inch versions

• Like 1

Chez, thank you for the reply. I was kind of just ball parking maybe 10-15%. So your feedback helps. Thanks

I've rated quite a few and 10% harder sounds about right. That's a massive generalization though, which isn't worth much. The point really is that they will be harder at the close than their 3/4" counterpart. I personally think setting them and the sweep is easier though because they feel "narrow" due to the thin handles.

Cannon, that's actually what I'm shooting for , a little easier setting, so I can train the heavier grippers. Just cant get my thumb to swing down and out anymore. Plus my right wrist, is more less fixed in place. I can bend it about 25-30 degrees. If that even makes sense :huh:. I have had to really change up a lot of grip training. When I started back a little over 4 years ago, I couldn't even hold a pencil. Thanks for verify the percentage. Like you said though , grippers vary. I know some of mine do.

I was kind of curious, I seem to remember talk of ,or maybe they were made? The Tetting + series (Beefbuilder). Were those something different? Its been several years.

I am always adding to the collection, so my thought was getting the whole 5/8 set. Sounds crazy I know. But I have the whole 3/4 set, plus some extra. Warren has a good price on them, looked at them off and on for years. Still waiting on a reply from Theodore on the shipping part. Kind of my own fault, I should have just called yesterday, instead of e-mailing. Oh well. Ordered the Thor model last week, from them. Just to complete the collection of paperweight models. Real nice people.

Mudhutmasher, thanks for the input, it actually does help. I have seen a lot of methods for BTR, but I would think these would have a lot of carryover. Like the others have said, just can't bring myself to file a gripper down! Think I got my first one right after 9/11. Still have it. Thanks again for the insight.

Thanks for clearing that up! Was always curious about them.

Edited by MIKE HALEY RILEY CLOE

I have one 5/8" Tetting. I do like it and I will look to get more someday.

It is an "Advanced" and i had it rated by Jedd as being 90.140625#

I have smaller hands, but it does not feel awful in my hands.

If were to try to try compare it to my standard 3/4" Tettings, I have one easier at 83.7875# and one harder at 118.1125#, so i can not do an apples to apples comparison, but i do have a GHP4 rated at 98#.

Currently i am thinking that the GHP at 98# feels easier on the hand then the Tetting 5/8 at 90#.

I do not mean to say it is easier to close, it just might have less impact on the skin of the palm and fingers.

It might actually be cool to have a gripper with one handle at 3/4" and one at 5/8" and still file down the end of the 3/4" side.

​The one thing i like conceptually about the 5/8 grippers is that the whole hand is in a more closed position from start to finish. With a filed gripper, the new range is only at the end of the movement. My feeling is the 5/8" forces a tighter grip from the thumb and pointer finger.

BTW:

Full disclosure, I am still new to grip. I have weak crushing strength.

I can not yet close my 5/8" Advanced nor my GHP4.

Richcottrell, your 2nd to the last paragraph is very informative ! I like hearing about everyone's experience with this set of grippers. Everyone is new to grip at some point , so don't worry about what level your at now. Just enjoy the process , if you keep coming to these boards, you will learn everything you could possibly need to keep progressing. There are a lot of good people on here who will answer any questions you might have. Thanks again for the input.

• Like 1

Is that rating for real..?

Just a thought , could that be a percentage ? Based on a #1?

I'm just guessing here but...

I'm pretty sure all of Jedd's plates are calibrated and assigned letters and whatnot.

When RGCing, it's likely he just enters the letters of the weights used and allows the computer to spit out a total...and chooses not to round.

• Like 1

I feel a bit dumb. I was thinking the PTC system, not the RGC one. So disregard my last post.

I'm just guessing here but...

I'm pretty sure all of Jedd's plates are calibrated and assigned letters and whatnot.

When RGCing, it's likely he just enters the letters of the weights used and allows the computer to spit out a total...and chooses not to round.

I'm just concerned that knowing an exact poundage for the weights is commonly misunderstood as knowing the exact rating. I'm not saying it should be rounded--I'm not aware of anyone who does--but rather it's almost always inaccurate to report the decimal in the rating even if you knew what it was based on the weight of the weights.

I did not realize i would be opening a side discussion on how the rating system works.

I have zero real knowledge. Thats why I have people like Matt and Jedd rate my grippers and I never question the numbers they give me.

But getting back to how the handles effect the rating...,

This 5/8" Tetting Advanced [which i bought just this last summer] got rated at 90# while a 3/4" Advanced would be in the 70# range, so this particular 5/8" gripper is over 25% "harder" to fully close then the standard 3/4" handles.

If we use the RGC system this 5/8" Advanced rated the same as an average rated 3/4" Tetting Super Advanced.

That said they are not equal.

They will still feel very different from start to finish.

The pressure the smaller diameter handles put on the fingers and palm is more acute --if that makes any sense. I could see how with the higher gripper levels, these 3/8" grippers could be downright painful.

But again, I feel the smaller handles forces a tighter fist at the end of the movement.

rich

Actually Rich that's a very good rundown and assessment on the differences. Mike