2014 Empire Classic Grip Challenge Log

austinslater

After taking a few years off from grip I'm back to training again. Battled injuries for a number of years but finally feel at least well enough to push it a little bit. I have been doing some stuff for about a month but will attempt to be alittle more structured in regards to grip stuff. I also coach Little League baseball which could complicate my ability to attend the contest but confident I can figure something out.

Contest date is May 10th. Current weight is 200 so will be competing in the 205 class.

1. Grippers: Current 158 Elite Goal is top 3 93kg class 163+

My gripper strength stayed decent considering a long time off. I didn't use a set block so will have to get used to that but feel pretty good considering. I have no chance of catching Paul Knights 187+ but would love to be top 3 in my class. I think its a reasonable goal.

2. Axle: Current 304x3, 326x1, 350xmiss Goal is #1 in class 383+

I have never done Axle work other than curls. My goal could be totally unreasonable, I honestly have no idea as I've never trained Axle before. But have to shoot for something so why not.

3. Pinch: Current No Idea Goal: 2HP 200? Main Goal is 2-45's

I have never trained much on 2HP other than on a 2-45 setup. I'm getting a mouse pinch in the next couple of days so will wait and see where I'm at on that. Currently have done my 2-35's with an extra 5 lbs. Pinch is easily my worst lift and I have a long ways to go.

Current Routine:

This will obviously change as I learn how my body responds to training everything. In the past I would usually just train one thing at a time and it was almost always grippers. So while I have a routine in mind feel free to critique as I'm pretty new to this.

Monday-Crush

Tues-Pinch

Thurs-Crush

Friday-Axle, Light Pinch, Wrist roller

At times I will just do pinch after Grippers on Monday to save time or whatever, especially once baseball starts. Structure will probably fly out the window at that point.

Monday 12/30

GHP 7x2-3,1,1 MM1 replicax1, SMxmax clicks

2-35's 5 singles

Pony clamp work

Light wrist roller and Climber Curl 1-2x max reps

Tues-multiple 2-35's lifts just messing around in the garage during the New Years Eve Party.

Thursday 1/2

AM Gripper work: Holds: Filed GMx10 seconds, SMx15 sec

PM Closed 158 Elite, 3-4 closes/attempts.

After work Todd Coenen's Elites came in the mail so I tried his 158 Elite during my main workout and surprisingly closed it. Really happy to be at this level with very little gripper work forever. Will attempt to get it on video next workout. Also will attempt his 163 Elite then as well. Thanks to Todd for letting me borrow them! Somewhat surprised. Haven't gone heavy on grippers at all and have mainly done reps with my supermaster or triples with my GHP 7(once). Will definitely take a lighter approach than I did in the past when my gripper strength was at its highest.

• Like 4

Friday 1/3

Axle 255x3, 295x5, 325x1 ugly.

Horrible workout so just quit here. Pulled it easily last week and almost got 350. Wondering if chalk on my smooth schedule 40 pipe is actually a bad thing.

Monday- 1/6

Warm up with Weldon Adjustable gripper

Todd Coenen Elite 158 x 2,1,2,1

Super Master x max clicks

Slow and steady progress. Everyone talks about how thick bar kills crush but its done the opposite for me. My crush has been climbing since I added in thick bar. Some of it is regaining my previous gripper levels but I think Axle work has helped my sweep. I think as long as you program it correctly you can climb in both lifts.

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

Grippers after thickbar and I am useless, but doing Grippers first helps my thickbar training, or at least it has in the past. Haven't done much of either lately.

Monday pm

Mouse pinch 50+ reps at 115. Just messed around and tried to get used to the implement. My pinch is so far behind everything else but hopefully climbs fast.

Elite video from earlier today. Don't mind the gun, badge and heavy breathing. Was doing pushups as well and was bored at work. lol Goal is #2 in top 50 at 93 kgs at May 10th contest. Long term is #1 in this class.

• Like 2

Thursday-

Grippers GHP 7x1, Elite 158x1, Elite 163x3 singles, Filed #3xmiss

Mouse Pinch 54mm 1HP up to 72lbs for holds, 2-35's(68mm)

2HP 100 3xholds 30-50 sec

Dynamic Pinch 3xmax reps

Felt good with the 163 Elite this far out. Really want a 175 at the May contest. Pinch is horrible but starting to feel a little better with it.

Terrible video but mainly posting it for me to keep track of.

Nice job smashing that 163! :rock

I also have Elites that rate at 165, 166, 168 and I have a CoC #3.5 rated at 169. Let me know if you have any interest in a couple of them.