austinslater

Rip John Hicks (sybersnott)

58 posts in this topic

Just found out that he passed away recently. He was a regular in the early days of the board. Please send your thoughts and prayers to his family.

2 people like this

Wow! Very sorry to hear this...John was a great guy... one of my early friends in grip...my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

RIP John.

His thread "New Members Introduce Yourself" is one of the longest and biggest threads on the GripBoard.

1 person likes this

Dang, this is bad news. John was around back in the old ezboard days, I really hate to hear this. :(

When I first discovered Captains of Crush hand grippers back in 2006, John offered me lots of good advice back on the bodybuilding.com message boards. He was a great man, may he rest in piece and still close number 3's up there in the skies.

Wow!

What a shock to those who have dealt with him, considering he was kind hearted, and never held a grudge against anyone

If it isn't too much, what happened?

Sad news this.

Our thoughts go to his family!

From early on I enjoyed reading his threads. Very humorous guy - was quite entertaining. Never interacted much back then, just kinda lurked the board. Quite sad news to hear though, always kinda wondered why he stopped posting :( RIP Sybersnott.

Very sad news. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

John and I corresponded a few times throughout the early years of my membership here. He was always a very nice guy and passionate about grip. Best wishes to his family and friends.

I never knew he got married.

That is a shock, 49 is not old, thought and prayers to his family.

It is a complete shock. Did not see it coming, just terrible. His humor was offbeat, but no one was more ENTHUSIASTIC about this stuff than John. He made you laugh...

It is a complete shock. Did not see it coming, just terrible. His humor was offbeat, but no one was more ENTHUSIASTIC about this stuff than John. He made you laugh...

That's the truth, early on he and I had a disagreement and it was a fairly heated exchange. I got home and had a message on my machine, he had somehow got my number and left me a message just dog cussing me, LOL. He and I met the same year @ AOBS and had a good chuckle about it.

2 people like this

I only met him once in person but had a lot of interaction with him on the board via PMs etc. A good guy gone way too soon.

This is very sad. I met John in Atlanta 2005. He was a great guy who shared the same passion for grip. I still have some pics of him somewhere...

I never chatted with him personally but from his posts he always came across as a real good guy with a good sense of humor. Thoughts for his family.

RIP

Very sad to hear this. Quite a few years back, John and I exchanged PM's on a different strength forum and he was extremely helpful. My thoughts are with his family.

Very sad news.

My thoughts go out to his family.

So sad. Thoughts and prayers for his family.

Sad news. John was certainly one of the more prolific posters in the early GB days and before that on the grippage. I think he may have been the first to hit 10,000 GB posts.

I always admired his enthusiasm and particularly his willingness to help others here. His posts regarding his journey to close and then ultimately certify on the #3 (2002) inspired many at the time and made for great reading. There was no way he'd have ever given up on achieving that goal.

He had a terrific (somewhat whacky) sense of humour I reckon I'll miss that the most.

RIP Syber

2 people like this

I corresponded with him a few times a year since about 2000. Very good guy. Very over the top about all things grip. He was having some health problems the past few years and he was well aware his time was short. We talked via e-mail about a month before he died. I got the feeling he was saying goodbye.