California's Strongest Hands And Mas Wrestling Tourney 1/18/'1

daniel reinard

http://www.santacruzstrength.com/blog/2013/11/21/cas-strongest-hands-and-mas-wrestling-tourney.html

California's Strongest Hands AND Mas Wrestling tournament coming to Santa Cruz Strength on Saturday Jan 18th at 10AM!

GRIP Contest- $25

There will be five events contested, three of which are standardized events for Armlifting USA. For official rules on those events, check out www.ironmind.com

EVENTS

• Rolling Thunder One-Hand Deadlift

• Apollon’s Axle Double Overhand Deadlift

• Captains of Crush Silver Bullet Hold

• 100lb Plate Hold for Time

• Sledgehammer Choke Deadlift

• WEIGHT CLASSES / DIVISIONS

Womens under 70kg (<154lbs) Womens over 70kg (155lbs and up) Mens under 90kg (under 200lbs) Mens 90-110kg (200-242lbs)
    Mens over 110kg (242 and up)

• Prizes for first through third place

Entry Fee: $25

Competitors who send in entries before January 1st will get a free contest t-shirt.

MAS WRESTLING Tournament- $10

A round-robin style mas wrestling tournament will take place immediately after the grip con- test.

SCORING

Matches are best 2 out of 3
Win 2-0, you get 2 points plus 3 bonus points Win 2-1, you get 2 points plus 2 bonus points Lose 1-2, you get 1 point and 1 bonus point Lose 0-2, you do not get any points

WEIGHT CLASSES / DIVISIONS

Womens under 70kg (<154lbs) Womens over 70kg (155lbs and up) Mens under 90kg (under 200lbs) Mens 90-110kg (200-242lbs)
Mens over 110kg (242 and up)

Prizes for first through third place provide by The Sox Box and Lifting Large

Points towards national rankings for all members of Mas Wrestling USA

Entry Fee: $10

Send entries to:

Clay Edgin c/o Santa Cruz Strength 151 Harvey West Blvd, Unit D Santa Cruz, CA 95060 strongmanclay@gmail.com (831) 776-0875

Is Clay interested in sanctioning this comp brother?

I'll ask if he is interested in NAGS sactioning. It is sancioned for the World Armlifting Assoc.

I will try to get my entry mailed off by next week for sure for both. Looks like a fun day. How wide is the 100lb plate? Is it like as hard as lifting the euro at 100lbs? Since pinch holding that for time might be hard hah.

I don't know how wide it is bro. It's Clay's. I assume 2" with a small rim. Won't be a pure pinch hold that I know off, unless he has some evil smooth on both sides plate.

I'm looking forward to the quick format and the MAS. Will be a good day.

I'll ask if he is interested in NAGS sactioning. It is sancioned for the World Armlifting Assoc.

Typically these would not be able to be sanctioned for event results adding to the database if I remember right from previous discussions. Primary reason is the Last Man standing format they use for the events.

- Aaron

fyi - don't google "armlifts". :sick:

Lol I made that mistake too. I typed in USA armlifting, couldn't find a website, but learned a lot about this popular procedure
  • Like 1

Typically these would not be able to be sanctioned for event results adding to the database if I remember right from previous discussions. Primary reason is the Last Man standing format they use for the events.

- Aaron

Will the silver bullet and sledge choke list be added to the NAGS lists? I believe we've recognized the WAA silver bullet holds in the past.

- Aaron

Will the silver bullet and sledge choke list be added to the NAGS lists? I believe we've recognized the WAA silver bullet holds in the past.

I don't see a problem with the Sledge choke as long as it's done with the same rules that other comps have run it with. There was some controversy with the Silver bullet hold events in the past and we took those off the list. I honestly can't even remember what the deal with that was but someone else may be able to chime in or a search might turn it up if you care.

However if the Sledge choke was run with LMS format instead of 4 max attempts it would not be eligible for the list.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

I didn't see any rules posted anywhere, so I missed the Last Man Standing format. Thanks Aaron.

I didn't see any rules posted anywhere, so I missed the Last Man Standing format. Thanks Aaron.

I had discussions with Ivan B. I think regarding adding results from some of the Russian Armlifting Sanctioned Rolling Thunder comps to the database and he clarified that they were all LMS format. Not sure if it is in the rules for that Fed or not but that was the main issue that has kept the Russian comps from being added to the database.

- Aaron

There was some controversy with the Silver bullet hold events in the past and we took those off the list. I honestly can't even remember what the deal with that was but someone else may be able to chime in or a search might turn it up if you care.

- Aaron

I think the story was I was awfully pissy that the best lifts were in Expo-style contests, including world records, but those contests were not recognized, so the records were not recognized. It seemed silly to me because it was a brand new event with rules written by IronMind. I kept belly-aching about that in a thread. The simple solution was to just drop it from the list, and that was what was done.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting that Stephen.

I'll give it my best shot. Been a while since I trained grip solely. I can't wait for the event. Will be a big one. The dislocated finger finally feels good so workouts are in full swing. I also rigged up some bands in a power rack in order to do some MAS practice. I'll also be trying to join the grip and MAS workouts Clay always holds on Saturday. Are you able to attend one of his workout sessions?

My finals end next week I could go as early as next saturday or anytime this month on a saturday I could make it up for a good long session. Its not that far for me and going over the mas wrestling would be fun.

Dec 21st we will join Clay's MAS practice group for a workout.

The 100# plate hold is one 100# plate in each hand and there is a lip on them. I will probably have a photo to post in a couple days. So think rim lift hold when deciding how to train.

Don't forget if you are doing the MAS after the grip comp you need to sign up with the MAS USA.

Practices every Saturday will be held at 10am at Santa Cruz Strength, the same place as the comp. All people are free to join for training with some of the best!

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel, thanks for posting about the contest and relaying everything to everybody. Here's a direct link to the entry form:

http://norcalmaswrestling.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/flyer-entry.pdf

I really hope we can get a strong turnout for this. In years past, grip gatherings and contests in California have had upwards of 20 people showing on short notice so I think it's just a matter of reaching out to those people again and seeing if we can't relight that fire. I'd like to ask that you guys like Jedder and Aaron share this on your Facepages since you have followers all over the country and some of those might be in my neck of the woods.

The 100lb plate hold will be using plates that look like this: http://www.progymsupply.com/image/cache/data/capbarbell/CAP-OP-100-500x500.jpg

The mas wrestling is something that I think is really going to take off with grip guys as well. Grip is such a big part of it, and you can be a beat-up trainwreck of a man like me and still compete.

Hubgeezer, I expect to see you out here giving the whippersnappers what-for!

Are you still doing the training on saturday at your gym? I plan to come this saturday to try out the mas and just train a little plus turn my entry in and money.

Also for the silver bullet how will it work for the lighter women? Even my sister who can close a #1 fairly ok can't really do the #2 gripper with the silver bullet. I imagine smaller women will struggle with this event.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

Clay says the normal practice format goes like this:

We stretch ourselves out with a partner on the board and do some foam rolling, then get into the practice. Usually no weight training before mas. Afterwards we'll dick around with grip stuff. Got a couple red nail benders in the house already.

Practice is at Santa Cruz Strength. The address is listed in the comp information at the start of the thread. I'll be going for sure this Saturday. I'll try to show up at 9:30am to BS a bit before we start. If there is some grip stuff you want to bring go ahead. I may bring my Inch dumbell for you. :santa: We can ask Clay how the lighter women will do the grip events. That's a good question. Oh, he was asking if women are coming on Saturday. Is your sis coming too? Clay's wife was looking to get into MAS also and needs a partner.

If anyone else is interested hit me up.

• Like 2

If someone can't close the gripper onto the silver bullet, they'll be able to use a lighter gripper but will be scored differently. For example, for the women holding a #2 shut with the silver bullet for 5 seconds will beat another woman holding the #1 closed for 60 seconds. Same deal with the men. If a guy can't shut the #3 onto the silver bullet he'll be able to use the #2 but will be scored below those who use the #3. Does that make sense?

Yes, training is still on for this Saturday. I'm hoping all our grip guys show up since I've talked you two up. "Stephen Ruby is 8 feet tall and Daniel Reinhard shoots lazerballs from his fingers!"

LAZERBALLS

Daniel, if you bring that Inch that'd be awesome!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the competitor list so far:

Women's Open

Courtney Espinosa

Amanda Edgin

Men's Under 90kg

Robby Sparango

Daniel Reinhard

Tyler Miller

Robert Lira

Larson Graff