Plates For Pinching.

Mike Sharkey

Curious if peeps have some recommendations for good plates for pinching. I need 25's and 35's anyway so I figure two birds...

Guest Squat More

Good luck, most places only sell those "grip plates" with the whimpy handles built in. Might be able to find some on eBay even the ones I have (cap barbell) have apparently been discontinued.

Sharkey, try Playitagain sports. I always find good plates when I go there, and used dumbbells to make blocks can be found too.

I have a pair of these 35s and they're good and thin:

$%28KGrHqZ,!jQE2IcVvDWuBNrNOWDmvQ~~_35.J

And the other pair of 35s I found there are good for hubbing and have a textured finish. A bit thick for pinching, so provides a good challenge.

Look something like this:

Deep-Dish-Olympic-Plates.jpg

Both of these are CAP Standard brand, but see what else you can find.

Sharkey, try Playitagain sports. I always find good plates when I go there, and used dumbbells to make blocks can be found too.

I have a pair of these 35s and they're good and thin:

$%28KGrHqZ,!jQE2IcVvDWuBNrNOWDmvQ~~_35.J

And the other pair of 35s I found there are good for hubbing and have a textured finish. A bit thick for pinching, so provides a good challenge.

Look something like this:

Deep-Dish-Olympic-Plates.jpg

Both of these are CAP Standard brand, but see what else you can find.

Thanks Hoss, I'll check it out!

Craigslist is GOLD....the big box stores sell crap these days. I've got plenty of extra CAP 45lb plates if you need....the normal "thinner" ones pictured above...not the deep dish ones. I actually just bought myself another 25lb CAP plate on ebay so I could work on a three 25lb plate pinch.

• Like 1

Mike,

Go to the section of Lift the Blob called, Where to Find Blobs. These places are also good for finding weight plates.

• Like 1

i've had luck at play it again sports. typically near new, used plates are the way to go. they are rough because of little wear making pinching a bit easier. you can also touch and feel them before buying. the thin, black barbell brand plates are nice for 35 pinches. see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSL1hRzB1jc

Craigslist is GOLD....the big box stores sell crap these days. I've got plenty of extra CAP 45lb plates if you need....the normal "thinner" ones pictured above...not the deep dish ones. I actually just bought myself another 25lb CAP plate on ebay so I could work on a three 25lb plate pinch.

Thanks John! I think it will be a while before I need 45's haha. I'm kinda trying to figure out the best appropriation of funds at the moment. I think a 2HP is the most bang for the buck, but I will also need to purchase some 25's as I have no other plates than 45's at my house. However, a nice pair of 35's might be nice for pinching also and significantly cheaper than the 2HP.

Thanks John! I think it will be a while before I need 45's haha. I'm kinda trying to figure out the best appropriation of funds at the moment. I think a 2HP is the most bang for the buck, but I will also need to purchase some 25's as I have no other plates than 45's at my house. However, a nice pair of 35's might be nice for pinching also and significantly cheaper than the 2HP.

2HP Brother!

I need someone else that's new with it to help me along.

Jedd's setup looks sick though. I am saving my pennies.

Definitely can't go wrong there,it looks pretty awesome if you ask me!

I'm doing the build it your own set up,money is on the tight side right now.

Mike - G and G Fitness has solid plates. Some are on the wide side, but you can mix-and-match. I'm also starting to mess around with this stuff. Seems like a ton of fun! :grin:

• Like 1