Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Philip_777

Anyone Do Whittling?

8 posts in this topic

I was cleaning out my garage and found my old woodworking tools tucked away. So I got the itch to whittle something, but of course the knives were dull. After some time on the belt sander and leather strop, I got the knife to 'shave' arm hair. I ended up whittling a ball-in-cage. Turned out pretty neat. First question everyone asks is, "How did you get the ball in there?". They are then impressed that it was carved from a single block of wood with only a knife. It seems like a lost art gone by the ways of technology and mass production.

Reason I ask, is that it seemed like a great 'recovery' exercise after a hard workout to get the blood flowing, increase dexterity and to produce something neat.

I don't have an actual picture of mine, but here's what I'm talking about.

ot4.jpg

5 people like this

Damn that's cool!

Found this too which I thought was genius.

JMA_Sampler_cover_2.jpg

1 person likes this

Haha that's awesome dude.

Badass

Damn that's cool!

Found this too which I thought was genius.

JMA_Sampler_cover_2.jpg

Is that supposed to be the Gordian knot?

I think it's a Burger King pretzel bun.

2 people like this

Captured woodturning is the one thing I haven't tried (I've turned just about everything else). David Springett has a nice book out on how to do it.

http://www.amazon.com/Woodturning-Wizardry-David-Springett/dp/1565232798/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1381540500&sr=8-12&keywords=woodturning

I commend you for carving one by hand. Carving a captured item by hand takes far more patience than turning imo.

If I had more time, I would do more carving. The only time I do much carving is if I'm at my in-laws, and it's raining. Spoon carving is a lot of fun.

I'm not sure how much carving translates into a recovery exercise though, unless I pace myself, my hands can get pretty sore from doing that all day. It can tend to favor one hand, unless one is ambidextrous.

Captured woodturning is the one thing I haven't tried (I've turned just about everything else). David Springett has a nice book out on how to do it.

http://www.amazon.com/Woodturning-Wizardry-David-Springett/dp/1565232798/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1381540500&sr=8-12&keywords=woodturning

I commend you for carving one by hand. Carving a captured item by hand takes far more patience than turning imo.

If I had more time, I would do more carving. The only time I do much carving is if I'm at my in-laws, and it's raining. Spoon carving is a lot of fun.

I'm not sure how much carving translates into a recovery exercise though, unless I pace myself, my hands can get pretty sore from doing that all day. It can tend to favor one hand, unless one is ambidextrous.

Ah yes, turning is a blast. I used to have a Jet mini lathe that I would turn pens on and give them out as gifts. The part I hated the most was sharpening the turning tools. I had various jigs for the different gouges and skews, so that made it a little easier. To be honest, the part that scared me the most is the roughing out process going from standard stock to a semi-round, especially when working with corian.