Euro Pinch Setup Same As Pinching Solid Metal?.......?......?

1stCoC

Just sitting back thinking about the forces and mechanics used in lifting things...a few questions, brain teasers jump out. Is lifting a euro type apparatus with outrigger type weights and a rubber core between two steel plates a slightly compressible material( able to exert rebounding return pressure) the same as lifting a solid metal plate or secured pair? If you think about it the pinch taking away the wrist strength used when an outrigger of plates creates side force that puts the wrist into the lift as opposed to the plate hanging dead straight down. In addition since a steel or Iron plate is non compressible only the finger skin friction and the direct static pressure applied to the metal is used in lifting the weight. With a rubber core between two fairly thin metal plates not only can friction and static pinch be applied BUT the rebound pressure of the compressed rubber core is like having a spring pushing back against your hand in a gripper as opposed to one frozen in one fixed position . I just wonder with some of our mechanical minded grip guys out there has any of this been thought of or in the big picture "it is what it is "since while being different it is uniform. Fun stuff to ponder!

I would imagine the rebound effect would only kick in when you release pressure. I wonder what kind of pressure would need to be exerted to get hard rubber inserts to compress in a quantifiable manner; enough to affect the lift. Since the outer steel plates spread the compression over a wider area of rubber, what kind of PSI would this turn out to be? If, given that enough pressure were exerted on the plates and rubber to pick up 270 pounds one would probably be putting in 300 or so pounds of pressure total. I would imagine PSI would be much less if it were measured around the top half of the surface area....and most likely not enough to compress industrial strength rubber.

I'm not an engineer though, so if I'm wrong someone please correct me! :)

Edited by jvance

I have what is called a "Climber Pinch" that I made. It's a piece of 2" rectangular tubular steel. It is attached to a nut that is screwed onto a long bolt that acts as a loading pin. I can pinch about 10 to 15# more on my Euro that on this. I have no idea why this might be but it is what it is. You science boys might know why.

Yea I don't think that hard rubber can be compressed, AC made plastic disks, look at the comps that have used them to see if any numbers are inflated at a percent other comps that used the rubber ones and it may help answer the original question.

I have what is called a "Climber Pinch" that I made. It's a piece of 2" rectangular tubular steel. It is attached to a nut that is screwed onto a long bolt that acts as a loading pin. I can pinch about 10 to 15# more on my Euro that on this. I have no idea why this might be but it is what it is. You science boys might know why.

I pinch 10-15# less with my Climber style block and maybe 15-20# more with my 2x5" Saxon bar. Strange stuff. I think Rinderle ends up with a bit more on his Climber block as do you Chris.

Edited by Shoggoth

On my saxxon bar I pinch 10lb more than my best2hp and it's not compressable?

I pinch 10-15# less with my Climber style block and maybe 15-20# more with my 2x5" Saxon bar. Strange stuff. I think Rinderle ends up with a bit more on his Climber block as do you Chris.

I understand the Saxon Bar (3" x 4") as I can really get a lot of tilt going with it even though it is much wider than my chosen euro width. My last try with each was

Saxon Bar at 3" - 214#

Climber Pinch @ 2" - 214#

Euro at 52mm - 228#

I'd like to try a Saxon Bar made with 2" steel and see what that's like.

I haven't actively been training grip much lately - most of my time is being spent rehabbing my low back. My pinch doesn't seem to drop all that much when I take time off working it but other areas of grip do.

The difference between #s on the Euro, Climber Pinch and Saxon bar may have something to do with the amount of tilt each allows.

• Like 1

The difference between #s on the Euro, Climber Pinch and Saxon bar may have something to do with the amount of tilt each allows.

I agree the saxxon bar does tilt, but I don't think the climber pinch does from what it looks like.

I can pinch significantly more on a set up using two 20k plates and a rod with additional plates than I can on the Euro set up. This, I suspect, is a function of the more centralised weight with the former set up. It is more difficult to control a set up (eg Euro) where most of the weight is located a considerable distance away from the centre.

• Like 1

I agree the saxxon bar does tilt, but I don't think the climber pinch does from what it looks like.

I never said it did.

I never said it did.
no argument here

• 2 weeks later...

Is the euro pinch still the standard in most higher level contests? The two I have with all rubber insert disks have been sitting in storage for several years. Any need or ideas from guys out there? Perhaps Jedd orAndrew could chime in.

Is the euro pinch still the standard in most higher level contests? The two I have with all rubber insert disks have been sitting in storage for several years. Any need or ideas from guys out there? Perhaps Jedd orAndrew could chime in.

Richard - for the two hand pinch in competition - the David Horne Euro is the standard being recognized. The one hand pinch has not been as highly contested but the Euro is still the competition standard. The adjustable width and the cross bar feature for judging ease are the main reason. The adjust ability is argued at times but does seem to help with the hand size and thickness issue when competitors of wildly varying weight, body, and hand size are all competing together. A 140# rock climber and a 300# Strongman probably will want a thickness that suits each better. Please dig yours out of storage and see what all the Sorinex people can do on it.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1