A1 Russian Open 2013 Rt 150.5kg

Juha Harju

Wow so explosive!

Will this count as a world record this time for him? I know he did a similar lift awhile back that ironmind didn't count.

Guest Squat More

Amazing Russian power from Alexey, I think it matters not if Alexey gets recognized by Iron Mind, that is one hell of a pull either way.

• Like 1

BIG PULL!

Looks like he uses his leg to help.

Looks like he uses his leg to help.

...as people tend to do when doing any kind of deadlift.

It's legal to set the handle on top of your thigh like that?

Guest Squat More

I don't know what you're talking about, him resting the handle on his quad getting ready for the lift? He was setting his grip, nothing more, I have seen a lot of people do this with the rolling thunder, same with the Inch dumbbell, they put their hand on a globe to set their grip, no one accuses them of using two hands for lifting the inch when doing this.

Also, the handle was not in contact with his leg during the beginning of his pull. If there was any incidental contact it was with his pants through the range of movement and not his leg helping him get the weight, watch it in slow motion. Also, if memory serves Mark Felix's last world record lift was similar.

mark-felix-rtwr-zoie450.jpg

See those shorts riding up? What is causing that? The Rolling Thunder handle, safe to say the handle touched his leg on the way up huh?

3. Any contact between the lifter's hand and the non-revolving portion of the handle disqualifies the lift; and other than incidental contact, the hand or Rolling Thunder handle must not touch the body before the lift is completed—dragging the hand or handle up the leg is cause for an immediate "No lift."

Now I would consider both pulls "incidental contact", neither man cheated anything, so stop trying to imply so with Alexey.

Also it doesn't look like Felix's right leg/knee fully locked out, as per the rules

How about instead of trying to question Alexey's lift and cause trouble for nothing, you just congratulate him on an amazing pull, because that is what it was. So what if he uses his legs in a more sumo style pull with more leg drive, last I remembered there was no grip sport or Iron Mind rule saying using leg drive to help in a lift was against the rules.

Edited by Squat More

Guest Squat More

Another video of the lift

The explosion is simply amazing, stronger than Felix's and that is saying something. That is all power built through specific training and technique.

I'm just calling it as i see it, it seems like he squats under it and creates a shelf for the handle on his left leg (not talking about before the lift). Could be wrong but that's what it looked like to me. Maybe that was just how it looked on the videos or he did it by mistake i don't know.

Guest Squat More

Then watch the second video of the lift posted, watch it a few times and tell me what you think then. The handle is nowhere near his leg, more like his groin/crotch, if there was any contact it was obviously incidental and not on purpose. Alexey has lifted like this for some time, his lifts were passed in Odd Haugens comp with the same technique and squat pull style.

Another video of the lift

The explosion is simply amazing, stronger than Felix's and that is saying something. That is all power built through specific training and technique.

Looks pretty good to me. But by all means, lets nitpick and make passive aggressive comments about someone else's obvious success.

• Like 2

Guest Squat More

Just playing devils advocate to prove a point to Mr Savage, Mike.

And I wasn't trying to take anything away from Felix, just proving a point that when someone wants to nitpick one thing and troll someones accomplishments, it can be done to others as well. If there is something wrong with Alexey's lift because the handle had incidental contact with his leg on the way up, then there should be something wrong with Felix's as well, since in the photograph right from the Iron Mind website shows his shorts riding up and the handle looking like it was also touching his leg.

Also, Alexey's explosion with the RT was stronger than Felix's and when I said "and that is saying something", it was a compliment to Mark as a near the top of the food chain world class strongman and Alexey as someone who has obviously put a lot of time and effort into his training AND technique to suit his body type with the Rolling Thunder. Being as you come from a Girevoy sport background, you should be able to appreciate one man finding out what is most efficient for him in terms of training, leverages, technique etc. I would think using the semi squat pull helps Alexey keep the weight as close to his body as possible, shortening the lever arm and making pulls a whole lot more efficient. I see nothing wrong with this, it is done in all other strength sports, Oly lifting, powerlifting etc. The shorter the lever arm the better. If someone can make changes to their technique, like in Oly lifting, by gripping the bar wider or narrowing or widening their stance width before the clean to improve leverages, trust me they're going to do it.

Edited by Squat More

John, you're confused because I am agreeing with you :D

IMO, the point of all this is to: a. have fun, b. be really strong.

If people want to argue about wraps or lockouts or brushing the thigh, they are just showing their own insecurity and wasting time and energy.

I see nothing wrong with the pull itself but he does start to lower the weight just a fraction before the judge start to lower his arm. Not sure what the rules state but in eg IPF powerlifting you cannot start to lower the weight until the judge has moved his arm down. It does not even look like he is watching the judge's arm. Making sure a lift adheres to whatever rules are in place is not nit-picking but an essential part of the sport.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I see nothing wrong with the pull itself but he does start to lower the weight just a fraction before the judge start to lower his arm. Not sure what the rules state but in eg IPF powerlifting you cannot start to lower the weight until the judge has moved his arm down. It does not even look like he is watching the judge's arm. Making sure a lift adheres to whatever rules are in place is not nit-picking but an essential part of the sport.

Thank god you are here then to make sure the rules are adhered to.

Reminds me of the discussions we had years ago when most thought I was anal for demanding properly weighed weights for WR's.

Guest Squat More

Steve Gardener didn't give Felix a physical down command he just yelled it out and Felix's record counted, the video itself is in this thread. Sooo....?

I think a fair and constructive response would have been "Sorry, Paul, but I've watched the video a couple of times and I didn't see any contact with the thigh, you must have been mistaken. I am sure that if you look again you will see what I mean" rather than getting irate about it.

The anti "paying attention to the actual rules" attitude was, is, and always will be, tiresome.

• Like 2

Guest Squat More

No Mac, you're wrong. The reason being that I knew the second this was posted, there would be at least one person trying to criticize and take away from the lift and Alexey's accomplishment, as is always the way with grip. Mike summed it up in his earlier post.

Anyway I think this settled the "discussion".

http://ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2013/Jul/Rolling_Thunder_World_Record_Broken_by_Alexey_Tyukalov.html

• Like 1

So - are you suggesting that, despite thinking he saw an infraction, Paul (or anyone else) should not have mentioned it because it just isn't cool?

For what it's worth I thought the lift was good, though Mikael's point about the down signal chasing the weight to the floor is a valid one.

Guest Squat More

No I am saying that time and time again, in the "grip community" I have seen others go to lengths to discredit anyone who achieves something great. Nit picking this and that, throwing out the most ridiculous little excuse to piss on someone elses accomplishments. Lifting with his leg? Really?

Maybe Mikael was right in some respects but then again do you really expect the athlete to turn his head towards a judge in this instance? The subject of IPF judging was given here, don't judges stand in front of the lifters view, or give verbal commands when they are not in front of the lifter? Last I remember they do, if there was anyone at fault here it was the judge, not the lifter. Also, he held for a one count as far as I am concerned, this is what matters to me, of course my opinion doesn't matter but since Alexey has been recognized as the current world record holder, it was obviously good enough for IronMind as well. I have heard countless stories of BS judging, in powerlifting and grip sport. A one count is a one count.

For Felix's lift there was no physical down command, just a verbal command, as it was Steve Mobster Gardener judging that competition because Steve knows thickbar and the rolling thunder, having lifted very much above average amounts of weight on it himself. Watch Felix's lift a few times, his right leg never locked out though his left did, and the handle came into contact with his thigh, so much so that in the previous picture IronMind had posted, you could see his shorts riding up because of the handle, but like IronMind mentions in the rules, incidental contact is different than purposely trying to cheat. Did anyone raise a fuss about this? Was Felix given a break due to his celebrity as a world class strongman competitor? Then there is the point I made about Alexey's lifts being passed in California in Odd's record breaker contest, he won the RT event there too if memory serves, same technique and lifting style there and it was good enough for Odds comp.

Again, it is easy to nit pick but Felix's record was good enough for IronMind and it seems now that so was Alexey's.

Congratulations to Alexey Tyukalov. This ranks right up there in some of the most impressive grip feats I have ever seen.

Edited by Squat More