Anyone Made A Homemade Wooden Gripper?

Jones1874

My uncle had a go of my plate loaded gripper and he really likes it, but hes not willing to pay £85 for it despite that being very reasonable for what it is.

he has lots of wood hanging about but no steel. has anyone made a decent gripper out of wood?

ive attached two photos as an example. but if anyones made a better version with some clear pictures that would be much appreciated.

thanks.

Edited by alexjones234

Are the pics of your/your uncle's setup?

Pretty sweet.

I've made a wooden ttk type plate loaded gripper a good 5 years back. Handles were wood too, it broke.

Looking back, this is where I originally started liking grippers.

Not sure if this will work or not - it didn't.

Not sure if this will work or not

Ah got it

The above shows my first ever grip machine - my grandfather helped me build it around 1960 - it served me well and can be used with any regular barbell.

post-3084-0-86071100-1373826047_thumb.jp

Edited by climber511

Pretty sweet.

I've made a wooden ttk type plate loaded gripper a good 5 years back. Handles were wood too, it broke.

no, their just some pictures i found on google to use as an example. just wanted to see what other ones were floating about.

Ah got it

The above shows my first ever grip machine - my grandfather helped me build it around 1960 - it served me well and can be used with any regular barbell.

you build one back then? pioneer of you time! that looks like the one Bruce White made. you can see it on the left in this picture.

so long story short.. it didnt work very well? perhaps my uncle will just have to splash out if he wants want that much. i love mine. low weight and high reps 20,30, even 40+ and its awesome for supporting grip.

Pretty sweet.

no, their just some pictures i found on google to use as an example. just wanted to see what other ones were floating about.

Ah got it

you build one back then? pioneer of you time! that looks like the one Bruce White made. you can see it on the left in this picture.

attachicon.gifgrip.jpg

so long story short.. it didnt work very well? perhaps my uncle will just have to splash out if he wants want that much. i love mine. low weight and high reps 20,30, even 40+ and its awesome for supporting grip.

It worked just fine - I was talking about my inability to post a picture of it in my answer - my computer skills suck. The plans for this were in a Strength and Health magazine back then. Very easy to build - small footprint and cost - can be built to fit your hand etc.

o right, got you. thanks for that picture anyway. it looks pretty straightforward so he should be able to put it together in an hour or two.

Like this? I wound the springs and Martin did the woodwork.

AZCG 2013 trophies

• Like 4

no, i meant a standard plate loaded gripper. nice grippers though bud !

I made this a long time ago..little moldy now haha

that looks pretty good! only thing is we dont have stores that stock that threaded piping. for that reason theres alot of things i havent been able to make.

Yeah "The Home Depot" makes life easy when it comes to making stuff...you gotta have some sort of plumbing store where you could pick up some pipe

Oh WOW! Those are beautiful. Bravo!

Oh WOW! Those are beautiful. Bravo!

Thanks! Nicest trophies we've done for the comp yet. I will treasure mine.

- Aaron

There looks to be what could be described as plate-loadable Blob-like implement in that photo of the Bruce White equipment.

Those are sweet.

Those are sweet.

I'm glad you guys like the look of them. Some of the handles were 'mystery wood', I got from a gift shop owner in Alaska, and some of the handles were Indian Rosewood (the stuff with the stripes). I don't know how they would hold up to use, but if I were to make some for actual use, I would have turned them thinner, and probably soaked them in a good epoxy resin to decrease the likelihood of them splitting.

Those springs Aaron wound are really quite strong, if real handles are put on them. The brushed stainless looks great.

I have a new appreciation for what gripper companies go through to produce grippers, after having helped put these trophies together.

I've also made a TTK-like device out of 2x4's, but the actual pinch surfaces are a bit different, so when you close them down, the fingers are a lot closer together. I'll have to see if I can find a pic when I get home.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-2-yb9B6MhcY/TQ_U_IGaeoI/AAAAAAAAAME/l_xDp65RHpA/w1005-h647-no/terminator05.jpg

A guy in Russia makes these. All wood and steel hardware. I am talking to him about it.

His description;

climbers. The only device which really trains tips. Grip is like on the picture, finger bending is forbidden, 4 fingers in a row

Edited by zcor

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-2-yb9B6MhcY/TQ_U_IGaeoI/AAAAAAAAAME/l_xDp65RHpA/w1005-h647-no/terminator05.jpg

A guy in Russia makes these. All wood and steel hardware. I am talking to him about it.

His description;

climbers. The only device which really trains tips. Grip is like on the picture, finger bending is forbidden, 4 fingers in a row

This is cool. Boy, when you bring more people into grip training the ideas sure start to flow and innovation increases as well.

His description;

This is cool. Boy, when you bring more people into grip training the ideas sure start to flow and innovation increases as well.

Yeah, just a little something to complement the thread.

Hi from Russia, I am an inventor of the device.

this is a video from little competition among climbers

There is not regular but special device for competitions:

- 2 light indicators

- the steel bar agains finger bending around the wooden bar

- a bit longer than regular one

Edited by Svetopolk

Hey Svetopolk,

Glad to see you come aboard. Welcome to the Gripboard. I like the function of the device in that it gives a different plane for the fingers to work in.

It looks like it could be beneficial in developing good pinch strength as it seems to isolate the finger tips.

Contact strength! Just what a a climber needs - nice piece of equipment!