2013 Gripmas Carol

climber511

"IF" we can keep moving along and have time - the sledge choke will be added as a final event. It's fun - simple, and runs quickly. It's a 12# hammer coin lift to a box - 4 attempts. Simple but not easy as they say.

I'm still in Chris, I'll pay the day of the comp. I'm thinking I'll be in the 105kg weight class.

Gonna drop a few pounds are you? I was thinking you said you were 245# at Thanksgripping? Good for you!

A friend of mine gave me a tractor weight. Odd shape - 88# and 3 1/4" wide with flat sides. It's a good one hand pinch test - I got maybe an inch of lift so I'm sure it will go for some of you guys.

I'm still in Chris, I'll pay the day of the comp. I'm thinking I'll be in the 105kg weight class.

Gonna drop a few pounds are you? I was thinking you said you were 245# at Thanksgripping? Good for you!

Scratch that, 120kg class. I had a brain fart earlier.

If anyone is interested in a half 95lb block weight ill be bringing it to the comp... Trades welcome too... Perhaps fbbc 2" vbar, IM loading pin, or little big horn.. Would throw in a little cash too for the LBH... Just a heads up! :)

Edited by jvance

If anyone is interested in a half 95lb block weight ill be bringing it to the comp... Trades welcome too... Perhaps fbbc 2" vbar, IM loading pin, or little big horn.. Would throw in a little cash too for the LBH... Just a heads up! :)

Just a reminder - I will have a bunch of stuff for sale (or trade) so bring anything you want to sell or trade and we'll have a swap meet kind of thing too.

• Like 2

All this stuff will be for sale at Gripmas for those of you coming. Some prices are negotiable – some are not – but feel free to make a reasonable offer on anything. Whatever is left over will be offered for sale on the GB and other forums - but not until Gripmas is over..

Schisler Deep Dish 45s - $50 for a pair – decent hubs and intermediate thickness between standard thickness 45s and old Deep Dish York’s – would be a good intermediate training tool if your goal is 2 old York 45s pinch.

Olympic Loading Pins - $20

Standard Loading Pins - $20

Homemade Prowler - $100

Chain Lift Bar Sleeve- $30 – we have lifted over 1200# with this and a piece of Schedule 80 pipe (not included) – includes chain but not carabiner. Hand and thigh – hip lifts etc with Big weights possible. Fun to play with now and then.

Old style leather lifting belts XL - $5

Iron Boots – New - $25

KB Handles - $5 each

COC 2.5 Gripper - $20

RB 260N Gripper - $20

BB Super Elite Gripper - $20

PDA 262 Gripper - $25

Vulcan Gripper – version 1 – Gold Spring - $60

Weldons Vulcan - $100 – a collectors piece and beautiful

Core Blaster Handle - $12

Wrist Thingy - $35

Dumbbell Handles – 1.9” for $25 - 2 3/8” for $25 – 2 ¾” for $30

Napalms Nightmare - $55

One Finger Lift - $8

Coin Lift - $10

Tips Tester - $25

Double Sledge Levering Rack - Free – Fits Power Rack with 1” pins 2” on center. Could be modified to fit other racks easily enough.

Pair of 75# Hex Dumbbells - $85 – like new

Pair of 80# Hex Dumbbells - $95 – like new

Pair of 100# Ivanko Rubber Dumbbells - $120

Fedorenko 36K Kettlebell- $60

Fedorenko 28K Kettlebell - $50

28# Highland Games Weight - $50

• Like 2

All this stuff will be for sale at Gripmas for those of you coming. Some prices are negotiable – some are not – but feel free to make a reasonable offer on anything. Whatever is left over will be offered for sale on the GB and other forums - but not until Gripmas is over..

Schisler Deep Dish 45s - $50 for a pair – decent hubs and intermediate thickness between standard thickness 45s and old Deep Dish York’s – would be a good intermediate training tool if your goal is 2 old York 45s pinch.

Homemade Prowler - $100

Chain Lift Bar Sleeve- $30 – we have lifted over 1200# with this and a piece of Schedule 80 pipe (not included) – includes chain but not carabiner. Hand and thigh – hip lifts etc with Big weights possible. Fun to play with now and then.

Iron Boots – New - $25

KB Handles - $5 each

COC 2.5 Gripper - $20

RB 260N Gripper - $20

PDA 262 Gripper - $25

Wrist Thingy - $35

Napalms Nightmare - $55

One Finger Lift - $8

Coin Lift - $10

Tips Tester - $25

Double Sledge Levering Rack - Free – Fits Power Rack with 1” pins 2” on center. Could be modified to fit other racks easily enough.

Wow! Definitely even more sad I'm not attending. Sweet deals man.

Homemade Prowler - $100

Iron Boots – New - $25

KB Handles - $5 each

COC 2.5 Gripper - $20

RB 260N Gripper - $20

PDA 262 Gripper - $25

Wrist Thingy - $35

Napalms Nightmare - $55

One Finger Lift - $8

Coin Lift - $10

Tips Tester - $25

Wow! Definitely even more sad I'm not attending. Sweet deals man.

A good chance to pick up big heavy stuff that costs to much to ship.

Anyone can bring anything they want to sell or trade - please.

Sponsors

JL Holdsworth

Jedd Johnson (Diesel Crew)

Andrew Durniant

Chris Rice

Matt Cannon (Power Works)

I forget the best Forum on the planet is also sponsoring - FARMSTRENGTH - be farm strong!

Gripmas Schedule and Info

• Weigh In starts at 8AM - and runs to 9:30 – put your BW on the form, please try and be on time – I will adjust for my scales (new battery and point calibration is done) – (there is a small variation to account for) and put you in the correct class – weigh in will be done in the bathroom if you desire to strip down to make weight – my wife will witness any female competitors. Otherwise weigh in will be done in the gym. If you want to weigh in early and then go eat – there is a restaurant about a two minute walk from the house.
  • Everyone must sign the Liability Release Form – you don’t sign – you don’t compete. If you have not already paid – please do so.
  • 9:30 – Rules meeting – drawing to determine starting order on the ISG etc - then begin warm ups on ISG
  • 10AM Sharp – ISG Event starts – ISG is NOT rising bar and is only for one hand – you may go up or down in difficulty – you must use the same hand for all 4 attempts. Scoring will be by the poundage ratings from the chart I have for 2 springs. No idea how accurate those numbers really are (springs vary) but everyone is using the same one so it’s fair anyway. There are no records being kept for this event but I guess you can say there will be ISG Gripmas records set J.
  • Left Hand Pinch event – is rising bar - on the Euro – standard Euro Rules
  • Right Hand Pinch event – is rising bar - on the Euro - standard Euro Rules.
  • I’m making a change from the traditional way pinch is run. We will run all of each width in a row – example is all people using 48mm will go clear through L&R – then all 50mm – 52 – 54 etc. We will flip a coin to see if we start thick or thin first. Left and Right hands will run together also. I’ll explain this all at the rules meeting – JL did this at Thanksgripping and it worked well - I’m hopeful it makes things run a little quicker.
  • Left Hand IronMind Axle DL – this is rising bar – standard One Hand DL rules.
  • Right Hand IronMind Axle DL – this is rising bar – standard One Hand DL rules.
  • Left and Right hands will be run together here also.
  • If you want to read the rule set we will be following – go to http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/bhsarules.html and look at one hand pinch and one hand axle. I will be reading these to you at the rules meeting.
  • Depending on the number of competitors warm ups will be done on a separate apparatus and only a couple allowed on the actual implement. If we have a bunch of walk ons that day – we “may” go to using two different pinch and Axle setups as competition set ups. I’d rather not have to do this though.
  • If time permits - Sledge Choke event – coin load to box
  • Awards and pizza
  • Play Time and Feats of strength – the fun stuff! For anyone wanting to qualify for 2014 Nationals – we can set up about anything you might want to do to make that happen.
  • I will furnish all chalk – everyone uses the same stuff. Don’t bring your own.

NAGS “Gripbash” scoring will be used “by event” – left and right hand will not be combined as a total for scoring. There will only be Prize Packages for the first three places Overall. Weight class results and records can of course be set in all classes and the winner of each class containing at least 3 competitors will receive a prize. There will also be a “Yol Bosun” prize voted on by all competitors. Similar to the old Diesel Award Jedd had/has – it is for that person who inspires you with their performance. It does not have to be a winner – and likely it will not be if past winners of this type award are any indication.

For anyone new to Gripmas and Grip Contests in general. I will have water and pop available (free). If you want beer for after the contest please bring your own and no beer during please. We keep the coffee pot going all day long – the wife and I are addicted. I will have pizza for after but if you want snacks in the middle, bring your own. I have a very limited number of chairs so bringing your own is a good idea. The heat in the gym is set for 62 degrees (my idea of the best friction temperature here) plus whatever heat we all generate. So dress accordingly. There is a long tradition of World Records being set at The Gripmas Carol – let’s keep that tradition going!

Any questions – just ask.

Hey question on the sledge choke.... does the measurement of the sledge start on the very bottom of the actual hammer, or just the handle? if its just the handle then the torque numbers would be a bit low considering the extra 3-4 inches out the weight hangs.. i originally measured my sledge by just the handle but my numbers seem pretty pathetic at 16"

nevermind.. i asked before doing my research.. For those who didn't know like me... NAGS sledge choke rules state:

"Sledge Hammer Specs: An unmodified 12 lb wooden handled sledgehammer is to be used. No tape is allowed on the handle. The handle will be marked with inch increments from the bottom of the head towards the end of the handle with lines no thicker than ¼” designating those increments."

time to remeasure my sledge! :)

nevermind.. i asked before doing my research.. For those who didn't know like me... NAGS sledge choke rules state:

"Sledge Hammer Specs: An unmodified 12 lb wooden handled sledgehammer is to be used. No tape is allowed on the handle. The handle will be marked with inch increments from the bottom of the head towards the end of the handle with lines no thicker than ¼” designating those increments."

time to remeasure my sledge! :)

Well crap - now I'm confused. Pictures please.

I measured my sledge the same way as you at first Jon.

Chris, imagine the very top of the sledge hammer, you wouldn't start the measurement from the very top, you would start it right underneath the sledge hammers head...if that makes anymore sense.

We will be using Jedd's hammer so all is good.

• Like 1

I will buy the PDA Gripper.

Done

I will have the official scales available Friday evening for anyone who wants to check weight. I also learned that I can lift in the 83K class :). Well I can if I put the scales on the rubber flooring in the gym - you can get all kinds of readings doing that. So the scales will be on a piece of plywood - not sure why I didn't already know that about the rubber - learned something. My "spring" scales work fine on the rubber - it must be something about the strain gauges on the digital ?

Bob Sundin - 83 KG class

James Retarides - 93 KG class

Brandon Gerber – 93

Chris Rice – 93

Jonathon Vance – 93

Kody Burns – 93

Carl Donati - 93

Andrew Durniant – 105K class

Josh Henze – 105

Brent Barbe – 105

Jedd Johnson – 105

Luke Raymond – 93 or 105

Robert Miller - 120KG class

Jason Otto - 120

Nick Rosendaul – 120

Malcolm Majesky – 120

John Eaton – 120+K class

A few others have "said" they are coming but I haven't heard anything recently from them so we'll see.