International King Kong Grip Challenge - October 19th 2013

Eric Roussin

Me and Andrew Pantke, along with several other promoters, are teaming up to run the "International King Kong Grip Challenge" on October 19th, 2013. This will be a grip contest held in several different locations on the same day.

The full details have not yet been determined, but here is the basic info:

Date: October 19th, 2013

Weight classes: Open class, however all lifts will be tracked by the official NAGS weight classes

Prizes:

Awards for the top five overall finishers, plus awards for the top individual performance in each event. The overall first place finisher will earn the title of "The King Kong of Grip".

Events:

• One Hand Pinch Deadlift (Euro Device)
  • One Hand Axle Deadlift (Ironmind Apollon's Axle)
  • Ironmind Hub
  • Ironmind Little Big Horn

Confirmed Venues:

• Ottawa, Ontario, Canada - Eric Roussin
  • Detroit, MI - Andrew Pantke
  • Westchester, NY - Cesare Ricchezza
  • Wooster, OH - Brandon Gerber/Andrew Durniat
  • Minneapolis, MN - Adam Glass
  • Moscow, Russia - Ivan Beritashvili

Any other promoters interested in taking part in this event, please send me a PM.

Stay tuned for more details...

• Like 4

This looks like it is going to be a fun event guys. I am liking the one hand pinch and Little Big Horn.

• Like 1

Keep in mind the importance of having scales point calibrated at each weight class for complete accuracy.

Great job Eric - contest sounds AWESOME.

it will be cool to see little big horn contested. will it be a good lift as far as IM is concerned? I don't know what they require.

Sounds like fun. I like the fact that the events are "light" lifts meaning that hand strength will be the only issue. Sometimes beginners get scared off by heavy lifts. Good contest for beginners to try grip out for the first time.

• Like 2

The Ironmind rules for the Little Big Horn aren't very clear:

http://www.thefitexpo.com/TFESJ_grip.asp

I'm hoping that the lifts from the King Kong contest will be tracked on the gripsport.org top 50 lists, so we should arrive at a consensus. What do people think? Should full lock-out be required, or should it be similar to a v-bar lift (2 inches)? I'd like to have the IGC's endorsement of the method that is chosen.

I would much rather see a full lockout.

you should pm jedd in case he doesn't see this.

• Like 1

A lot of that tracking stuff is up to Aaron. He does the brunt of the work. Asking promoters to enter the data has not always worked out.

As for the lockout vs. 2-inch. We have been moving way from 2-inch lifts and going to lockout and other more clear-cut markers, such as the 16.5-inch gauge for the Pinch. My perspective would be to stick with lockout here.

I tried to view that age and it wouldn't load for me - not sure why - so I have no idea what it says...

Sounds like fun. I like the fact that the events are "light" lifts meaning that hand strength will be the only issue. Sometimes beginners get scared off by heavy lifts. Good contest for beginners to try grip out for the first time.

I'm hoping to have a few new athletes out at my place. I already talked with one guy today and sold him on the idea of competing after I told him almost all the events will be under 100lbs lifts.

Here's what the page says:

Little Big Horn Anvil Lift
"The athletes will each attempt to dead lift the IronMind Little Big Horn device and loading pin increasing with each attempt till there is ONE MAN STANDING. Time starts when pin is loaded and athlete’s name called, and athlete has 30 seconds to commence the lift. No grip aids other than chalk allowed. Athletes must grip the Little Big Horn as you would grip the horn of an anvil. Athletes must await referee’s down signal before returning the device back to the platform all the while maintaining the grip/contact with horn. The anticipated schedule of weights will be (subject to Referee’s judgment): TBD Each athlete must select an opening weight prior to the commencement of the competition, and may “pass” on subsequent weights as long as he does so prior to his turn. World and American Record is 220lb set by Adam Glass on 7/15/2012 in San Jose, California."

I added some of the results from the GripTopz Championship to the gripsport site, so I'll be able to do the same for this event. Aaron has done an awesome job developing the database!

By the way, is there a central spot where people can ask the IGC questions? If not, a sticky thread on the gripboard may help. Or, is there a listing of the contact information for all of the IGC members?

• Like 1

That to me sounds like Lockout, if there is a down call being used.

There is not really a directory for the IGC members. I guess I have generally been fielding questions. Unless others are getting them and not saying naything - LOL!

OK, we'll use lockout for the hub, LBH, and axle. We'll go with the standard 16.5" guage for the one-hand pinch.

Just to confirm, the latest versions of the hub and LBH will be used.

I'm hoping to have a few new athletes out at my place. I already talked with one guy today and sold him on the idea of competing after I told him almost all the events will be under 100lbs lifts.

Yep, I have 3 new guys that I lift with and I have been trying to get them to train grip so this event will be great for them. I already have 2 firm commitments and one maybe from those 3.

Great Idea Eric

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Juha Harju has confirmed that he will be hosting this contest in Finland. The competition just got tougher!

• Like 2

Daniel Reinard has confirmed he will be hosting this event in Concord, California. Eight locations so far in four different countries!

• Like 3

Daniel Reinard has confirmed he will be hosting this event in Concord, California. Eight locations so far in four different countries!

Cool can women compete also will their be a separate class for them? My sister isn't doing any grip right now but I could convince her to do this contest and train a little for it once it gets closer. Looks like a fun contest I"m in if daniel is still able to host around that time. Never touched any of these implements I will try to figure something out on how to train for it as the event gets closer. I'm really weak with one handed lift stuff so will be fun to bring up weaknesses.

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 3

Yes, there will be an open women's class.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Eric, some questions someone asked me for the comp:

"Is there a starting weight for the 1 arm axle dead? Can you straddle it?"

Together, we the promoters of this event need to iron out some of the event details. Regarding your questions, my opinion is that we should do what has been done in the past, so that the lifts can be included in the GripSport Top 50 lists. One of Adam's comps from 2012 featured the one hand axle event. I'll ask him about the rules he used. For starting weight, I don't think there is a need to set one. What do you think? Although I do understand the pick heights would likely be lower at low weights.

Another question is what should be done if someone can't lift an unloaded Euro Device will one hand? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Together, we the promoters of this event need to iron out some of the event details. Regarding your questions, my opinion is that we should do what has been done in the past, so that the lifts can be included in the GripSport Top 50 lists. One of Adam's comps from 2012 featured the one hand axle event. I'll ask him about the rules he used. For starting weight, I don't think there is a need to set one. What do you think? Although I do understand the pick heights would likely be lower at low weights.

Another question is what should be done if someone can't lift an unloaded Euro Device will one hand? Does anyone have any suggestions?

I don't think we should have a starting weight. And yeah, if Adam knows what worked at his comp we should follow that.

I'm worried about the women lifting the Euro one handed. I'll have my GF attempt it this week. She has done 88 lbs in comp on the 2HP so a one handed lift will be at the least a max effort on an empty device. If it doesn't pan out for the women maybe they can just do that lift two handed.

How does this sound as a solution to the 1 hand pinch rules? I welcome suggestions and comments

The one hand pinch will follow David Horne’s rules for the 1 hand pinch with some additions.

One Hand Pinch Lift
This is the same as the two hands version, except it is with one hand. The loading bar can and no doubt will hit your leg at some point, this is fine. The width of the pinch apparatus is adjustable to suit different hand sizes, but to keep it within the spirit of a pinch lift the minimum width allowed is the 2 outer steel discs and 2 rubber spacer discs, a width of 24mm. Before the event starts, you will be given the opportunity to try it and find your best width. The smooth-sided, adjustable-width disc is held on a 2” thick metal rod by a pair of collars. Extra weights will be added to the outsides. The top of this is grasped with an overhand pinch grip and lifted until the end of the bar touches a horizontal bar placed at 16.5”, measured from the underside of the bar to the floor. There is no referee’s signal. You do not have to be erect upon completion. You must lower the weight under control. If the outer discs accidentally touch the bar before the bar itself, referee’s discretion will be used to judge whether the correct height was attained. Pinch gripping the discs using an unorthodox underhand grip will not be allowed.
Additional equipment rules:
1. The apparatus has to be loaded with the same number of discs on each side, in the same order, and has to weigh the same (max 1k tolerance between the total weight of the weights at the front, and weights at the rear).
2. The heaviest discs should be loaded nearest to the adjustable pinch discs themselves.
3. The spacer/collars that hold the inside adjustable discs together should be the same length.
4. The discs added should be smaller in height than the adjustable discs you grasp, so that the view of the lifter’s hands is not totally obscured, and the lift starts from the proper height.

Additional rules for the King

In the event that a competitor cannot lift an empty euro devise a substitute pinch block and loading pin will be used. An example of a block would be Ironminds blockbuster pinch block, FBBC one hand pinch block, Sorinex Mighty Mitts Pinch Block, or homemade equivalent. Competitors would one hand pinch the block with an overhand pinch grip and lift to full lockout and return to the floor under control. Lockout will be knee’s locked and hips through.

Scoring: Standard grip sport % scoring will be used for either devise as with the following exceptions. The substitute block cannot be loaded to the same or more weight than the sites empty euro devise. Also competitors that pull on the substitute block will not be eligible for world records or top 50 lists.

Example:

The following three lifts where done. 100lb on a euro, 60lb on empty euro and 50lb on substitute block. The scores would be in order. 100pts, 60pts, and 50pts.

Additional rules for the King In the event that a competitor cannot lift an empty euro devise a substitute pinch block and loading pin will be used. An example of a block would be Ironminds blockbuster pinch block, FBBC one hand pinch block, Sorinex Mighty Mitts Pinch Block, or homemade equivalent. Competitors would one hand pinch the block with an overhand pinch grip and lift to full lockout and return to the floor under control. Lockout will be knee’s locked and hips through.

I had thought about this in my reply to Eric. The two issues are this is an international sancioned contest so the device needs to be standardized, and that if promoters were indeed going to go with a standard device they would all probably have to buy one just to hold the local venue. Most promoters lose money anyways just to hold a contest with the equipment they already own.

If all the women just pinch 2HP it will keep it a standard event with equipment that will already be there.

would it help to get a shorter pipe to save on weight? not sure how much that would help, or if it's allowed.

Daniel

Having women pinch 2 handed could be a solution. The problem I still see is that I have two new competitors coming out to my place that I know can’t pull my devise empty (60 lbs) and I don't want to have to give them a zero for their first grip contest. I was hoping that by having the scoring set up so that a substitute devise can't weigh more than an empty Euro pinch would take care of the equipment variations from vendor to vendor.

Scoring: Standard grip sport % scoring will be used for either devise as with the following exceptions. The substitute block cannot be loaded to the same or more weight than the events empty euro devise. Also competitors that pull on the substitute block will not be eligible for world records or top 50 lists.

Brent

A shorter pipe would remove ~.25lbs per inch of 1.5 black pipe that was removed and about .9lbs for a solid rod. That could help I was also thinking that getting an aluminum pipe to lighten my set could be an option. Do you know if the plastic inserts that were used at nationals would be lighter?

Yeah there's the problem. Your device is 60# empty. Mine is ~40# at the smaller widths. Most people use pipe for it. They cost $10 so a bar swap would probably be the way to go.