From The Ashes......resurrecting My Grip

1stCoC

Good training session last night went up in two top sets in every exercise. Did two sets of 2 on what I could only single rep last week. Band presses as described, thick bar lat pull downs to front, and one arm dumbbell rows have done wonders for the shoulder. Stretching with light bands and high lever rows for rotator area have made the arm much more stable for gripping. Dyno testing still right at 180 .lA nearby orthopedic rehab center coordinator came by to see just what I was doing and by his time to depart was wanting a few of the rigs I had used for my "coming back" plan. Leg and arm work tomorrow night followed by grip work. Epsom salt baths have reduced swelling in my left wrist.

As a walk through some great memories I just sent some pictures of some rare old grippers and equipment I have collected and used the past 25 yeas to Wannagrip. I hope they went through and he gets to post and for you to enjoy them.

• Like 1

Gee, It was interesting what information each person picks from a picture. Thanks to Bill for requesting them and posting. I am glad to do stuff like that to add to grip backround history.In several pictures were most of the 41 grippers that were calibrated by John at PDA years ago. It was a different inch pound rating but, simply comparing big to small numbers gave some good insight. Most grippers were checked once ( mine and the ones sent in by customers). The special grippers like my first cert Silver Crush 3, Tettings specially painted red super duty that I was requested to prove to him that I could close( he said no one could close them) and the Phantom were run through in a random, repeated fashion. ( Phantom 11 times). The digital readout was always very close. I left the tags on most of them from that day on. The top row in my most favorite and rare grippers. There is one early one there that is a faded gold paint that resided with my son in his athletes "animal house dwelling" that one amazing All American weight thrower actually closed. It was a total beast of a gripper. I saw him do a later snapping shut a #3 laughing and drinking a beer at the same time. Memories....

Really enthused about progress in upper body muscle groups. The standing band press has paid off big time strengthening the torso core muscles and being untracked and independent the small muscles of the shoulder have really come back into action. Since the accident my standing diamond full length trap bar press I do from rack has doubled. This is important to grip because UNLESS the supporting muscles of the arm and hand are stable the grip is never fully developed. Work and stretch front and back group!

In addition doing presses with our over length trap bar allows ALL three heads of the deltoid to be worked at the same time and by the neutral hand position each press results in an elevation of the trap muscles as well. Oh ,and yes the bar is used for what most people think they are used for, shrugs, farmers walk,deadlifts and grip holds. Rubber Oversize grips can be added as well for more concentrated grip.The old time guys even with their simple equipment found how one exercise or piece of training equipment served several purposes and their grip ability.

Goldstein tip: Average natural muscle mass in body of males is at age 12 is 29.4%, 15 is 32.4% and at 17 is 44.8% Big muscles in back and legs develop after 22 years of age and absolute strength at 35 to 40 years of age. Work for speed and technique at early ages for best results.

• Like 1

I would like to thank a lot of the dedicated , new and old line grip strength guys stepping up and sharing their thoughts on how we each are dealing with age, injury , mindset ,and recovery. It is very difficult to accept change and what we plan to do with it. Greats in our field like Tetting, Jedd,Dr.Strossen,Mike Corlett, David Horn and several others have had to field some pretty rough health hits as of late. I liken it to it ( your fate) is all by perception like looking at a glass. Even though the glass is what it is ,it is viewed differently and to a different depth by each. Some might look at it and say. "Blue" ,"10 oz" Glass, "thing to hold pencils","my glass" or a hundred different replies to what the SAME thing is. It is how we perceive it personally and how it impacts us. No right or wrong answer or reaction ...just different. We choose to overcome ,get better or worse, we assign value, we plan, we put things in priority, we appreciate those things and people that we took for granted perhaps we give back as a lasting mark as all material things will fade.

I have lost some people recently in my life that have given me cause to reconsider my values. I spoke with a friend the other day that sweated it out for two years waiting for a miracle chance for a new kidney. Their comment was" I have good and bad days but now the most important thing is that " I have".

Guys lets enjoy our lives ,family gifts, joy of strength and gripping and our magnificent chance to do something good with it all!

• Like 3

I would like to thank a lot of the dedicated , new and old line grip strength guys stepping up and sharing their thoughts on how we each are dealing with age, injury , mindset ,and recovery. It is very difficult to accept change and what we plan to do with it. Greats in our field like Tetting, Jedd,Dr.Strossen,Mike Corlett, David Horn and several others have had to field some pretty rough health hits as of late. I liken it to it ( your fate) is all by perception like looking at a glass. Even though the glass is what it is ,it is viewed differently and to a different depth by each. Some might look at it and say. "Blue" ,"10 oz" Glass, "thing to hold pencils","my glass" or a hundred different replies to what the SAME thing is. It is how we perceive it personally and how it impacts us. No right or wrong answer or reaction ...just different. We choose to overcome ,get better or worse, we assign value, we plan, we put things in priority, we appreciate those things and people that we took for granted perhaps we give back as a lasting mark as all material things will fade.

I have lost some people recently in my life that have given me cause to reconsider my values. I spoke with a friend the other day that sweated it out for two years waiting for a miracle chance for a new kidney. Their comment was" I have good and bad days but now the most important thing is that " I have".

Guys lets enjoy our lives ,family gifts, joy of strength and gripping and our magnificent chance to do something good with it all!

Wow, quite moving, Richard. Wise words for sure.

I was still a bit sore from last weeks work and stressed from" big Monday" push but, I said to myself "if I can get to the gym I will do all I can handle" even if not at my best. Mostly a mind game just getting started. Once the weights are moving and your body knows it is" alright "... off you go. I was able to hit top marks so far in basic AND accessory movements. Bench press has increased 200 since April. The standing band press work ( thick handles placed over bands)has caught on like wildfire with a lot of old injuries and same groove weakness problems being solved by working the collateral muscle groups. Results are amazing. My standing Diamond bar presses continue to climb and my torso stability has really improved. Tonight is grip work on Pops gripper, torsion grippers and going back to some Blob pinching to get that static thumb and finger balance. I looked at the Brother Blob( the other half of the original that for years resided in Dr. Ken's Gym )and was inspired by the message. " what man can lift me?"

Goldstein tip: Vary exercises from simple to complex. In young athletes gradually add to speed work and volume. Series of forward and lateral jumps under 5 reps.. Great explosion doing depth jumps off a box to floor and up to top of another box. Great strength drill pair high bar squats and stiff leg deadlifts.

Thank you Richard for sharing your thoughts, experiences, trials, etc. through this forum!

I read every single one of your posts and these are very motivating and inspirational!

Many things you mention and stories you share sure do bring back memories!

Thanks again!!!

• Like 1

This is a great read, Richard! Very glad you're healing yourself and getting stronger at the same time. Quite impressive.

I had a really good week of training feeling like a a light 50% week in due but ,weights in the wave type training I have done are ALL moved up in the singles ,doubles, triples, and 5 rotation I do.progress has been amazing. The selection of exercises says similar but each workout in a main exercise I do 7 sets( usually 5 of them work weight) with a workout by workout rotation of singles one day, sets of 5 the next and a so on until the entire wave is repeated. It keeps volume in, max weights up , prevents staleness and coaxes you body always to adapt. Any auxiliary exercises are usually the inverse of the number . For example the day I do singles in the bench press my dumbbell presses are done in sets of 10. This wave system works well with any grip training as well to keep you well rounded. Reps at times are needed but don't equate to a big single attemp mark. So , the wave training is something to carefully consider in your grip work. All my lifts and grip have moved up substantially. Dumbbell rows . Diamond bar presses and my "favorite healer" the standing band presses working those small muscle groups are giving amazing restorative and strength gains. Dyno test remains in the mid 170 level. Damaged rotator area needed to stabilize the grip is feeling worked but getting stronger and better.

I had a wonderful conversation with Icon of strength and grip Warren Tetting. He is not only a highly talented designer and builder of torsion grippers since the 60s he is a straight shooter and brilliant man in the workings of mankind, God and the Universe. His insight is incredible. Nothing happens randomly and in a crystal clear statement about the trials and tribulations put before each of us while sometimes painful and harsh bring us to perhaps a higher level to be able to see more clearly. I feel honored to have spoken with him.

Sorry for a few typo and word errors in last post. Tried to edit but didn't work. Teaches me better not to type and conduct a meeting at the same time!

Great news! From what I gather from the results of the World Famous Pleasanton Highland game championships our new gal Super Woman Ms D Danielle Curry has won ! Her athletic strength ,work ethic, and amazing potential has shown us recent highlights in grip, highland events, and powerlifting. I am so very proud of her. The great workouts I see her do will build into a long successful career! Just the start. Her daily work continues to inspire me. With her steadfast training partner Champion Adrian Wilson now recovering from a knee injury they shall be a true force in strength! See what happens with the 2.5!

I had a really good week of training feeling like a a light 50% week in due but ,weights in the wave type training I have done are ALL moved up in the singles ,doubles, triples, and 5 rotation I do.progress has been amazing. The selection of exercises says similar but each workout in a main exercise I do 7 sets( usually 5 of them work weight) with a workout by workout rotation of singles one day, sets of 5 the next and a so on until the entire wave is repeated. It keeps volume in, max weights up , prevents staleness and coaxes you body always to adapt. Any auxiliary exercises are usually the inverse of the number . For example the day I do singles in the bench press my dumbbell presses are done in sets of 10. This wave system works well with any grip training as well to keep you well rounded. Reps at times are needed but don't equate to a big single attemp mark. So , the wave training is something to carefully consider in your grip work. All my lifts and grip have moved up substantially. Dumbbell rows . Diamond bar presses and my "favorite healer" the standing band presses working those small muscle groups are giving amazing restorative and strength gains. Dyno test remains in the mid 170 level. Damaged rotator area needed to stabilize the grip is feeling worked but getting stronger and better.

I had a wonderful conversation with Icon of strength and grip Warren Tetting. He is not only a highly talented designer and builder of torsion grippers since the 60s he is a straight shooter and brilliant man in the workings of mankind, God and the Universe. His insight is incredible. Nothing happens randomly and in a crystal clear statement about the trials and tribulations put before each of us while sometimes painful and harsh bring us to perhaps a higher level to be able to see more clearly. I feel honored to have spoken with him.

Great to hear your training and recovery are going well. Doing singles, sets of 5, and so on in your workout rotation sounds interesting. I may have to give a try some time. I can only fathom what two brilliant grip pioneers such as yourself and Warren Tetting could talk about :bow

I urge you all not to wait until the Kryptonite arrives to know we are not Supermen.

+1

Another trip to the doctor but with a great twist. Bodyweight down 32 lb.Total and bad cholesterol down 85 points each ,blood pressure lower than in past 45 years. Breathing, reasonable diet, walking, well balanced workouts,stretching, massage, and trying to focus on getting back has done a good bit . The body will heal under favorable conditions. Perhaps regaining health and a bit of grip will continue!

I urge you all not to wait until the Kryptonite arrives to know we are not Supermen. Take better care and enjoy life and its goodness longer!

I was in a class at work recently and the presenter made a statement that stuck with me more then the actual class material did. He said that humility finds us all. Our only hope is that we can survive it when it does.

Some of these younger guys haven't seen that or experienced that yet. They will. When it happens you have a couple choices, you can continue to let it kick you in the nuts time and time again, or you can get a rock hammer and start digging your way out.

I remember thinking it would take a man six hundred years to tunnel through the wall with it. Old Andy did it in less than twenty. Oh, Andy loved geology. I imagine it appealed to his meticulous nature. An ice age here, million years of mountain building there. Geology is the study of pressure and time. That's all it takes really, pressure, and time.

We are going to just keep digging...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIONM2_V-js

It seemed like several of you enjoyed the pictures that Wannagrip was nice enough to process and put up so,I decided to take a few shots of grippers perhaps only a few have ever seen really close up. The grippers all produced by Warren Tetting in the late 80s for the non Silver Crush and the early grippers that I certified and was sent when IM employed Warrens creative skill. If the pictures are put up you will see my first Silver Crush gripper that I IM certified on , it's mate,the Phantom produced as the potential next level above the Silver 3 by Warren ,and the personally painted red gripper I refer to as the"prove it " gripper that Warren had to know was the one he sent and was truly a Super Heavy duty back in the late 80s. There are pictures that have been taken but these along with their original tags from PDA testing will perhaps be enjoyed by some seeking first hand history. Warren added that the Super Heavy Duty was produced for a long time with a slightly smaller spring size (.276) that by the late 80s stock was no longer available so the Super Heavy Duty spring size went to .281 which has remained as the nominal size for #3 wire used to this day.

I thank you all again for the interest and support in a task that has been as hard as I have faced in my 63 years. I have read messages from gripsters that have shared in the" best of ways" to remind us to all try and pull together and find value and joy in what is truly of importance in life.

The third day of my light 50% week went well. Going through the lifts but at a more relaxed tempo with less intensity. It really helps. In the old days it fell on every 5th week. Shoulders have calmed down quite a bit and the standing band presses and high lever arm rows continue their magic. Ms D walked in after her victory at the Pleasanton Highland games and in usual gracious way said how the "next thing "is the National strongman/ women . She handles weight above most of the better men so she may just be pushing through on another level of sport. The top three are from what I gather invited to the Arnold's as well. I gave her an added challenge of being most likely to be the first woman in history to regulation deadlift a pair of famed Zuver 200 lb plates. The plates and bar will weigh 445.

I hit grip pretty well last night and more rested than normal hit some high intensity Pops gripper choke pinch grip closes with my my hands running close to parallel to the center bar on each side. It is like doing a torsion gripper close with the thumb ADDED. I am stoked about the results. Went to the torsion grippers next and it felt almost as the old days really snapped the #2 shut for 7 singles TNS with right and left hand, did a few really good closes with the 2.5 in the same manner and even pulled the 3 out and it didn't feel alien to me. That really made me pleased . I secretly want to see that 3 close a time or two more. The diet, breathing, reading a bit if the teachings in the Good Book and as Warren reminded me to apply it has turned much around. The training , the results and a better feeling are just the simple by products of " doing not just saying" . I don't know how far I can push it but I am sure going to try. Be happy in every good act you render and success you create each day.

Felt good on my day back from the 50% volume week. It really helped . It WAS the secret to many of the big lifters I competed and trained with in the 80s and 90s. Weights went well and felt some "snap "back in the lifts. I started the monumental ( for me) job of rearranging the training facility with new equipment upgrades and a face lift of another floor plan layout that will flow better and place the grip area and display Iron History pieces in a better arranged order. House , Adriane, and Ms. D pitched in like champs to make it happen. On our first attack to literally switch entire sides of the facility resulted in tons of barbell and grip equipment moved. I will send a picture to Wannagrip this morn of perhaps the most dense pile of grip equipment ever assembled. Change is hard to embrace but needed. .......the only way you can grow. I am glad the facility will allow more visitors and those interested in grip to get even a better "grasp" on what we are offering to our friends in strength.

Moving all that stuff means you won't really need a workout today - you already got one! But rehab and a massage maybe? :)

"The change "is tough in anything but if it brings better jump on it !The revamping to a bigger, better, way to include myself and those new others into the very cornerstone of strength and grip understanding has me charged up. It was a very personal thing but supported by countless others. I started my life in strength alone, with lots of "want to "and will.....and from there it grew. Well , the steps back from the "ashes " might take that very same mindset. It will be better than ever but now just helping and touching a wider base. I am the best kind of sore after in a real "functional" way of using my grip to set up this new area. The entire training facility will be brought up to a new and better level than ever. As always all those of strength in grip and barbell are welcomed to share this dream with us. I can't wait for my next workout!

Pushed last night down the next facility wall to contine to expand the grip tool storage and interactive use area. It has all our small grip tools, unique gift iron pinch blocks, original Grip Gauntlet pieces,and the awesome Zuver 200s finger tip lift apparatus. The thought of getting on to it another day of tugging, dragging and placing tons of stuff is daunting but oh so good!

Grip is SO pleasantly coming back. All the guys at the shop and sales are grip guys of sort and picked out a hard pair of 1.5 and 2 to keep in the shop office. They come in and hammer that 2 all the time ...close but no cigar. Even a 1025 squatter and 700+ bencher doesn't close it.They showed me their progress today and then ....called me out.... my hands are fried and fingers smashed from moving Griphenge but .......grabbed the 2 ,closed it no set and ground the handles ,turned to leave and put my arm and closing hand behind my back and no set shut it again .I never looked back and lightly dropped it on the desk. Moving from endless doctor visits and not being able to shut a trainer moving to this day it has been an amazing experience! My family , friends and my grip brothers have been so supportive during the hard times and I couldn't be more blessed.

• Like 3

It was either deer hunting on a beautiful day or see Ms D in action doing a strongman( women) contest. I am glad I opted for the latter. She was amazing won every event by a huge margin over seasoned competitors and qualified for the nationals in still another sport! Smoked most of the non pro men and used her super grip loading all stones, deadlifting 515, tossing kegs around like paper and cleaning an axle with ease. It was a good day to learn see old iron powerlifting star veteran Spud Bartley give of his time and effort to host the event that helps keep strength alive in this area. I did closely watch each competitor and one thing is common with Americans in general we resort to the bull raw strength instead of training technique and grip where each failed in most events. Yep, learned a lot today.

Well, 99% there. I was up early today and straight to gym. I was going to finish( as close as possible) the history / grip area. About a ton more of plates ( old York 35s) and small change to be ready if Brian Shaw ever strolls in. I transferred the Anvil Chorus monolith to the rack of grip tools to stand at attention to greet brother gripsters. A pair or two more of plates or tools( why 99%) and a new era is started. Looking forward to a good grip workout tonight!!! In the future I will see what I can do in hosting or helping provide space and equipment for those considering a grip contest or get together.

The facility facelift has everyone charged! All music a bit louder smiles a bit wider and a new breath of strong air. Recovering from a knee repair this week world Champion Highland lady Adrian Wilson knocked out incline sets with her leg propped up. Our shop guys are invading the gym a head more at a time "to live "what they build. Old friends continue to call and lend their moral support. Weights went up last night after my 50% active rest week. Grip was strong with working the torsion grippers in all four hand positions regular TNS and inverted. My body weight as leveled at 245 with continued reasonable diet and I can say actually today after months I feel like I am turning to corner back to health.. You have too get active, form a plan, and keep faith .... The rest I think will follow.

• Like 1