Great Article By Rippetoe

mightyjoe

Here's a link to one of the best articles I've read in quite sometime:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/rippetoe_throws_down

I've adhered to many of these training principles and concepts for some time now

with those I train and it's quite refreshing to read an article so well laid out on strength training!

There's some real gems of advice in this article!!!

Caution: If you've got ego issues then skip this article and go back to looking at yourself in the mirror again

because you'll learn nothing! :D

Mark Rippetoe is just hard to beat in my opinion!!!

ENJOY!!!

Great article! I'm glad I read Starting Strength at the beginning of the year. I'm so much stronger now.

Great article! I'm glad I read Starting Strength at the beginning of the year. I'm so much stronger now.

I attended one of Mark's seminars and it was the best money I ever spent on strength and conditioning education!!!

I attended one of Fred Hatfield's seminars in the late 80's and I thought it was out of this world and now looking back

it's amazing to see the evolving changes due to more recent scientific discoveries specially how the nervous system

plays such a vital role in strength attainment. What I considered great information 30 years ago now seems primitive.

Edited by Mighty Joe

Opinions vary. - as do goals. What's appropriate for one maybe not so much for another.

Opinions vary. - as do goals. What's appropriate for one maybe not so much for another.

Opinions do vary but when it comes to opinions I only consider informed opinions. Just an opinion

is just that, an opinion. But when there's an informed opinion (someone giving evidence for their opinion)

then that changes everything Chris. Also, the source is the #1 thing I consider when an opinion is voiced.

With that being said, Mark Rippetoe's opinions fall into the category of informed opinions due to his background and

experience with weightlifting and coaching.

For example, if someone voiced their opinion to me concerning a certain training method for arm wrestling but yet

they have never competed nor trained for AW'ing, I would classify this as just an opinion. On the other hand, if the opinion

came from an experienced puller then I would classify that as an informed opinion. First question I ask a very opinionated

individual is how do they support their opinion? This allows you to quickly discern if they really know what they're talking about

or just can't admit they simply don't know. See it all the time!

Seems many folks today use the phrase "that's just your opinion" to mean that anything could be true if they just label it as an

opinion. This makes many people feel good about themselves and allow them to walk away saying, " Boy I told that guy"! But

this is simply not reality nor being reasonable either. ;)

Always been a fan of Dr. Squat (Fred Hatfield), Garhammer, Ripptoe and a few others. Mark Rippetoe's writing have always been an enjoyable read to me ... particularly "Practical Programming". I've felt that Rippetoe hasn't so much supplanted Dr. Squats writings, but has reinforced them. Plus, I have always appreciated that he gives some lip-service to weighted pull-ups (reference: Starting Strength) as I'm a climber and deadlifts don't seem to have much carryover to my sport. I can still appreciate why he doesn't put it on the same level, though. All these folks (Hatfield, Rippetoe, etc) have expanded my horizons a bit from my always Climber centric focus. This has allowed me to have new goals outside climbing.

I've always wondered why Rippetoe turned in his CSCS certification. Oh well, never wondered enough to really research it.

[edit: spelling corrections]

Edited by burpsan

I'm glad you enjoyed the article.

cool article, Joe...

it wasn't full of specificity but definitely serves as a reminder to keep better track of what i'm doing on a workout by workout basis - in order to make quantifiable progress

I attended one of Mark's seminars and it was the best money I ever spent on strength and conditioning education!!!

I attended one of Fred Hatfield's seminars in the late 80's and I thought it was out of this world and now looking back

it's amazing to see the evolving changes due to more recent scientific discoveries specially how the nervous system

plays such a vital role in strength attainment. What I considered great information 30 years ago now seems primitive.

Didn't Fred Hatfield use progressive movement training to achieve his 1000lbs squat? Wouldn't it be logical to conclude that he understood how the nervous system functions; especially considering he called the method "neurological carry-over training"

• Like 1

Didn't Fred Hatfield use progressive movement training to achieve his 1000lbs squat? Wouldn't it be logical to conclude that he understood how the nervous system functions; especially considering he called the method "neurological carry-over training"

I didn't say that Fred Hatfield didn't understand the nervous system. I think Fred was years ahead of the game at that time but even he

said that he believes in the future that the key to all this (strength attainment) will be the nervous system (CNS)! How right he was! For some

reason one thing stood out in mind back then that he told all the attendees and that was that it's the nervous system that gives out, not the muscles. That has stuck with me ever since! I guess that could be one of many reasons I'm so fascinated and obsessed with learning and understanding the human body/mind and how it functions.

Edited by Mighty Joe