banana

6oz. V-8

2.5 oz. of peanuts

1.5 scoops of protein powder

4oz. cod with salsa

11 small brussels sprouts

Body weight: 172.8

Exactly 10 more pounds to go.

Although at the rate you're going, in 3 weeks you may very well be my weight.

I am 170.4 so you are getting very close Eric.

Using a very simple formula (weight increases are cubed whereas strength increases are squared at a given magnification of the body in all three dimensions) we should be doing no less than 105k in the 2HP at 74k in order to match Kody's 122.7k at 93k.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Exactly 10 more pounds to go.

Although at the rate you're going, in 3 weeks you may very well be my weight.

9.7, actually. Don't be makin' this harder than it is already.

I am 170.4 so you are getting very close Eric.

Using a very simple formula (weight increases are cubed whereas strength increases are squared at a given magnification of the body in all three dimensions) we should be doing no less than 105k in the 2HP at 74k in order to match Kody's 122.7k at 93k.

That is close. And I still have a little bit of fat to lose, which is good.

I'm not surprised. I've already compared Kody's lift to Bob Beamon's Mexico City long jump. And it makes you wonder if it won't have the same psychological effects on the competitors.

2 vegetable shishkabob's (spelling?)

medium turkery leg

apple

6oz. V-8

1.5 scoops protein powder

3oz. walnuts

sugar free Red Bull

Grippers (felt strong)

- just missed my 159 with a block set

- did a couple no-sets with a 134

Left

134x1 (very shallow set)

134x2 (block sets) PR!

134x1 (very shallow set)

Wooden Pinch Block (felt a tiny bit better this time on pinch)

183x2

184.2 x2

161.7 x5 (never let it rest on the floor)

Axle

315.9 x3

315.9 x4 (After the first set I moved my left hand out a bit to compensate for that hand opening up. I also deliberately pulled the second set slower off the floor. These two adjustments got me an extra rep.)

Wrist Roller

174.4 2/3 way to completion

164.5 x1

Eric,

Did the same calc for the other weight classes. Ordered according to the percentage of the 'Kody' standard.

#1 - 93k class

#2- 83k and 105k classes, both at 85.7% (113.7k and 133.0k)

#4 - 66k class 77.3% (97.6k)

#5 - 120k class 76.0% (145.5k)

#6 - 74k class 74.8% (105.4k)

#7 - 59k class 73.3% (90.6k)

The 120k class is clearly affected by the rarity of tall, lean and large-framed athletes in this class (simple function of the bell curve compared to lighter weight classes), whereas the 74k and 59k suffer from a low number of athletes. The 66k class is doing well relatively speaking, a result of Matt taking it to the limit.

This is admittedly pseudo-scientific and just intended for a very rough comparison.

Would be interesting to see where the records in the various weight classes would be if everyone spent a day or two with Chris like Kody did. Made a huge difference for his 2HP I believe.

Body weight: 172.0 (breathed a sigh of relief as I stepped off the scale, having eaten that greasy turkey leg for lunch at yesterday's work barbecue)

Mikael, I used powerlifting's Schwartz formula coefficients for the Kody standard and the 74k class and came up with the same numbers you acquired. Basically, I'd have to match my best training lift on the Euro (230 at a body weight of roughly 200) while weighing 163 to equal his performance. Yikes! You mentioned pseudo-scientific. One problem with using the Schwartz formula, for example, is the fact it's based on powerlifting data, and one's powerlifts would have a more direct relationship with their bodyweight than would their grip ability. When we have a larger, more competitive data base we could develop our own sport-specific formula for comparing lifts performed at different body weights. Of course, the Schwartz formula is not a perfect model and has been criticized for favoring the lighter athlete to a small degree. My hunch is that a 73k athlete would have to pull a bit more than 230 to achieve the Kody standard.

I actually suspect that it is the opposite, that grip strength at elite level is more correlated with a simple square/cube relation than is power lifting. The man to produce Kody's level of performance at say 120k is someone with a similar build but X % larger in all three dimensions, including hand size (more surface area). Will be interesting to see how it pans out. In powerlifting things may work out a bit different due to the specifics of the lift. For example, a big gut will help you getting out of the hole in the squat.

Anyway, 105k in the 74k class is a minimum if we want to claim that we are on par with Kody's performance, let's put it that way.

Now let's do the same calculations for the 1HP :)

Of course, the Schwartz formula is not a perfect model and has been criticized for favoring the lighter athlete to a small degree. My hunch is that a 73k athlete would have to pull a bit more than 230 to achieve the Kody standard.

Now you are talking like a true anorectic Eric, I am proud of you.

Body weight: 172.0 (breathed a sigh of relief as I stepped off the scale, having eaten that greasy turkey leg for lunch at yesterday's work barbecue)

I may have spoken like a true anorectic yesterday, but today was tough. All I thought about was food and how I was going to stuff my face immediately after the contest with 30 chicken nuggets, a large shake, and two orders of large fries.

And I need to include the one hand pinch in one of the contests I host. I think I hit 101 and change, probably with my left.

And yeah, 105 would have to be the minimum. Should I decide to stay at 74k for any length of time I suspect I'll be able to coax up my pinch a little bit as I adapt to the lower body weight.

14oz. tuna and salsa

apple

6oz. V-8

1/3 cup peanuts

banana

1 tablespoon honey

As I indicated, I have an 'eating day', every Sunday. It is actually a disappointment every time as the stomach has shrunk and I get full very quickly.

Yes I remember that video of your 46k 1HP (I think from memory you weighed just above 83k).

171.0!!!

Good memory. That sounds about right.

I haven't had a cheat day yet, other than that one smorgasbord down in Austin at the Italian restaurant. But Tuesday is my fifteen year wedding anniversary and I'll be cheating on my diet with a very sexy plate full of steak.

- yesterday I did 20 pushups with a 35# plate on my back (to keep some semblance of delt and tri strength)

After having spent yesterday eating as much as I could I am now heavier than you at 171.7.

After having spent yesterday eating as much as I could I am now heavier than you at 171.7.

That's funny!

Deadlifts (no belt)

400x3

Straight Leg Deadlifts

325x5

8oz. tilapia and salsa

banana

apple

6oz. V-8

1/3 cup peanuts

tablespoon of honey

7oz. tuna and salsa

body weight: 171.4

Tommy Jennings came over today and we both had fantastic workouts. Perhaps I'm adapting a bit to the lighter body weight.

Chinups

55x7

Grippers

- certed on 148 #7 GHP (1.5" block)!!!

- left I did a 134x2 with block set and an overcrush

- left I did a narrow thin handled Grand Master x4 with no sets

Blob 50

- magaged two singles righty and missed it lefty

2.5" Crusher

Right 158.1 x1

Left 165.7 x1 This was an all-time PR by five pounds!!!!!

Hammers To Nose

Right

- 2 singles with 17#

Left

- #12x5 This was also an all-time PR for reps!!!

2 bananas

tablespoon of honey

3 scoops of protein powder

plate of cod and asparagus

7oz. tuna with salsa

Body weight: 170.6

Running

- approximately .35 miles x 3 (each leg in roughly 2:25)

At the dentist today my pulse read 43 bpm and my blood pressure 116/70. This weight loss and dietary improvement has knocked 20 beats per minute off my heart rate and lowered my systolic and diastolic by 20 and 30 points, respectively.

2 scoops of protein powder

2 tablespoons of honey

7oz. tuna with salsa

At the sushi bar: vegetable roll, 2 pieces of squid sushi, and a half bottle of sake

Body weight: 172.0 (spiked up a bit after yesterday's semi-cheat day)

I'm feeling the need to reduce my calories even more, as I feel my body getting a bit too comfortable in the low 170s. I guess I will continue with some running, too.

- ran 1.5 miles

I am ahead of you again Eric, 169.8 this morning. :)

Started doing some volume with grippers.

10 singles with a 140lb #3 and a 22mm block (will get a 20mm block for next workout)

10 singles with a 120lb BSM left hand followed by a close with a 123 #2.5

Still feels odd after having done only TNS for years.

I am ahead of you again Eric, 169.8 this morning. :)

Started doing some volume with grippers.

10 singles with a 140lb #3 and a 22mm block (will get a 20mm block for next workout)

10 singles with a 120lb BSM left hand followed by a close with a 123 #2.5

Still feels odd after having done only TNS for years.

Darn you! Well, I'm dropping my caloric intake by 250 calories as of today, so we'll see what happens. This whole weight loss thing is becoming a real chore now. I so miss cheesecake...

And very nice gripper work, Mikael. I'v grown to prefer training TNS lately, whereas up until a year ago the opposite was my preference. But my strength has always been the parallel choked grippers. I'm no gripper guru, but I managed a 189 in the choker one time in a contest.

2 scoops of protein powder

tablespoon of honey

7oz. tuna

apple

banana

6oz. V-8

8oz. tilapia with salsa

sugar-free Red Bull

That's not a bad idea at all; cheesecake. I think I will have some for breakfast on Sunday (after the egg and bacon), maybe with extra cream on top. :)