Training For Grip Nationals 2013

EricMilfeld

This will be a log of not only grip and exercise in general, but of diet and weight loss. I've intended to compete at 183 pounds, but am toying with the idea of doing the 163 class. Just now:

5k run in 26:34

40 Marine Corps style pushups (in honor of my son the Marine)

body weight: 190.6

I am a bit ahead of you in the race towards the 163 class. This morning I was 175.7 (and still chubby) so 12.6 to go. Would be interesting to see how much strength you would loose (compared at 183) if you managed to hit 163. I hope to loose none but that is probably wishful thinking even though I would still not be super ripped at 163.

It's been my experience in training others over the years that weight loss to strength loss ratios

seem to be somewhat proportional to the amount of time one loses goal weight.

The faster one loses the weight the more strength they seem to lose with it. When the weight loss

is slower there seems to be less strength loss and at times when planned out properly and all factors

considered there can be no significant strength loss or none at all.

Eric, you should consider a monthly power/strength to weight ratio test to evaluate your strength loss/gains.

Would be challenging to design one for grip but it will allow you to record and evaluate your gains/losses

in accordance with your weight. Let's say (for the sake of argument) that your 2 hand euro 1RM is 200 lbs.

and you weigh 200 lbs. If you go on to lose 10 pounds and your 2 hand euro is still at 200 lbs. your power to weight ratio

has improved and there's a strength gain but your 1RM has not changed. Conversely, if your #'s go down at the same

#10 weight loss then you would show a slight strength/power loss.

One of my main rules I follow in training myself and others is I always seek ways to quantify what I'm doing.

Good luck with your goals Eric!!!

With your mindset and determination I only envision success in whatever you set out to do! ;)

• Like 1

Mikael, I blame you for this crazy idea of maybe going 163. Joe's right that it would make mores sense to lose the weight gradually. I'll test my weight loss ability for a couple of weeks and decide from there. And, yes, you're a tiny bit ahead of me in the weight loss. Lol. Last time I weighed 165 I was twenty years old, and like you, I was still not super cut. My hope is I would lose no more than 5% grip strength compared to my lifts at my current body weight. Other lifts would plummet.

Yori, I've actually lost eight pounds since the contest. But thanks for believing in me! Lol. My contest weigh-in was with clothing and a full stomach.

Joe, so far so good. Eight pounds lost with no ill effects, except for feeling healthier.

I don't think you will lose ANYTHING gripwise by losing weight, unless you crash dieted to lose 20 lbs in a couple weeks, brother. Grip is more CNS than muscle storage and all that stuff. You might feel a bit weaker on the deadlift, but I think most of the stuff will retain well, especially if you include CNS stimulating training over the period.

• Like 1

I don't think you will lose ANYTHING gripwise by losing weight, unless you crash dieted to lose 20 lbs in a couple weeks, brother. Grip is more CNS than muscle storage and all that stuff. You might feel a bit weaker on the deadlift, but I think most of the stuff will retain well, especially if you include CNS stimulating training over the period.

I agree, for the most part. I'm thinking at some point you will start losing forearm muscle after the fat is gone and the big muscle groups start diminishing. I don't think I'll lose anything making 183, but 163, even if I took 6 months to do it, could be very different. Should be an interesting case study.

Deadlifts

452x5

Blob 50

Right x4

Left x2

Right x3

Left x1

I agree, for the most part. I'm thinking at some point you will start losing forearm muscle after the fat is gone and the big muscle groups start diminishing. I don't think I'll lose anything making 183, but 163, even if I took 6 months to do it, could be very different. Should be an interesting case study.

Looking forward to reading your log Eric. I agree with what you guys said above. I've lost 15# in the last 2-3 weeks and haven't lost strength in grip. Keep hitting it hard and I'll bet the strength difference is negligable.

Wow, Daniel, 15 pounds is a big chunk of weight. I'm pleased to hear you're retaining your grip power, though. Very interesting. I think what I'll do is stick with my plan of competing at 183 at Nationals, and then begin my little experiment of dieting down to 163.

Today's Diet (evenly spread throughout the day):

banana

scoop of protein powder w/ water

two carrots

scoop of mixed nuts

granny smith apple

6oz. V-8 juice

6 oz. fat-free greek yogurt

plate of white turkey meat

Wow, Daniel, 15 pounds is a big chunk of weight. I'm pleased to hear you're retaining your grip power, though. Very interesting. I think what I'll do is stick with my plan of competing at 183 at Nationals, and then begin my little experiment of dieting down to 163.

banana

two carrots

scoop of mixed nuts

granny smith apple

6oz. V-8 juice

That sounds like a nice breakfast.

• Like 3

If you compared the top ten in any of the weightclasses below the 120k class we would, collectively, look fat, almost obese compared with elite olympic lifting guys or wrestlers etc. The sport is so young so people can still place well within a given weightclass without getting lean.

It is therefore somewhat misleading implying that grip strength is not correlated with bodyweight. If you bulk up quickly like Daniel and then lose that fat you are not going to see much difference in grip strength.

Guys like Kody has shown us what it will take in the future to rank in the elite within a given weightclass, tall and lean with muscle mass only where it is needed for grip.

Edited by Mikael Siversson
  • Like 1

Body weight: 189.2

banana

two carrots

scoop of mixed nuts

granny smith apple

6oz. V-8 juice

That sounds like a nice breakfast.

Too funny, Chris! Back when I was powerlifting at 220 that could have been my breakfast.

If you compared the top ten in any of the weightclasses below the 120k class we would, collectively, look fat, almost obese compared with elite olympic lifting guys or wrestlers etc. The sport is so young so people can still place well within a given weightclass without getting lean.

It is therefore somewhat misleading implying that grip strength is not correlated with bodyweight. If you bulk up quickly like Daniel and then lose that fat you are not going to see much difference in grip strength.

Guys like Kody has shown us what it will take in the future to rank in the elite within a given weightclass, tall and lean with muscle mass only where it is needed for grip.

Yes, should grip as a sport continue to grow this will probably be the inevitable outcome. But I don't think it would be the ideal for guys to train grip exclusively. I believe something like any sort of deadlift or farmers would be very beneficial. It can be done without gaining a bunch of "unnecessary" body weight. My theory is: more testosterone production, improved CNS firing in general, and would serve to make grip events feel lighter. Maybe this is part of "muscle mass only where it is needed for grip"...

• Like 1

Bodyweight: 187.6

Yesterday's Menu:

scoop of protein powder

12oz. V-8 juice

3 tiny oranges

granny smith apple

scoop of mixed nuts

banana

carrot

2 peanut butter Cliff Bars

Im 214lbs not very lean but not a blob of disgusting lard nether :)

If I ate that little in a day, I'd have low blood sugar and be in a f'ed up mood all day long :)

GL HF in your quest to make weight and in the comp!

Im 214lbs not very lean but not a blob of disgusting lard nether :)

If I ate that little in a day, I'd have low blood sugar and be in a f'ed up mood all day long :)

GL HF in your quest to make weight and in the comp!

Lol! I actually got dizzy yesterday at work... and maybe a little bitchy, too. Hey, but the pounds are shedding. And thank you!

Today's Menu (not much different from the preceding days):

2 scoops of protein powder w/ water

banana

granny smith apple

6 oz. V-8 juice

scoop of mixed nuts

2 tiny oranges

oatmeal, raisin, walnut Cliff Bar

6 oz. Greek fat-free yogurt

can of garbanzo beans

Was gonna run tonight, but legs are still sore from the other day. This is the first I've done any real running in a long time.

Body weight: 186.6

Before bed this morning:

50 push ups

100 Hindu squats

Just now:

6 minutes of alternating jump rope with jumping jacks

-ran a 5k in 26:04

coffe mug of Uncle Sam cereal w/ soy milk

scoop of protein powder

peanut butter Cliff Bar

granny smith apple

carrot

two tiny oranges

sugar-free Red Bull

3oz. of peanuts

4oz. of cod

scoop of protein powder

handful of blackberries and strawberries

two tiny oranges

Bodyweight: 185.8

WEIGHTED PULL-UPS

75x2

75x2

EURO PINCH

214.7 x1

217.2 x1

217.2 x1

204.5 x3

AXLE

340.4 x1

313.4 x6

WRIST ROLLER

175x1

• Like 1

1660 calories yesterday:

2 scoops protein powder

small bowl Uncle Sam cereal w/ soy milk

carrot

banana

granny smith apple

peanut butter Cliff Bar

raisin oatmeal Cliff Bar

1.5oz peanuts

6oz V-8 juice

sugar-free Red Bull

three pretzel crackers w/ salsa

Eric, I noticed you've included V8 in your diet on most days. Just wondering if you're taking it to get in some extra veggies, or if it's something you've always included? For the past couple years I've been taking six ounces of V8 along with a protein shake in the morning and then I take another six ounces pre-workout in the afternoon. Would love to hear your opinion.

Eric, I noticed you've included V8 in your diet on most days. Just wondering if you're taking it to get in some extra veggies, or if it's something you've always included? For the past couple years I've been taking six ounces of V8 along with a protein shake in the morning and then I take another six ounces pre-workout in the afternoon. Would love to hear your opinion.

I actually just like the taste of V-8. Lol. But, yeah, I drink it also for the veggies, which I don't get enough of. I need to change that, because I love veggies. It's just not always practical. I've always liked V-8, but have only recently tried to make a point of drinking it on a regular basis. The fact that it has no sugar is a big plus, too.

Bodyweight: 185.6 (didn't lose enough for my liking today)

I cheated after recording my menu early this morning by eating some blackberries and a carrot.

I actually just like the taste of V-8.

I just threw up in my mouth a little. Lol. J/k. My kid likes it too. I'll buy it if she likes it but I won't go near it. Kudos you two have the taste for it.

I actually just like the taste of V-8.

I just threw up in my mouth a little. Lol. J/k. My kid likes it too. I'll buy it if she likes it but I won't go near it. Kudos you two have the taste for it.

V8, tomato juice, Clamato, it's all tasty :D