Bit Of Progress And Question.

canthar

Working on moving from 3/16 to 1/4in. The IM greens are very easy DO and Rev. Picked up some 1/4x6" carriage and they go down easily DO. 1/4x7 CRS does not kink in DO at all, slightly kinked it is still an ISO. That was using IM stock. I got some slightly weaker 1/4CRS and DO I could not kink it or crush when slightly kinked. I was able to take a very slight kink and deepen it using Rev. but way off center which I need to figure out how to fix when using Rev. Finally tried some 1/4x7 HRS and DO I could not kink it. I was able to kink it Rev. then finish it it DO.

Is it advisable to progress with kinking Rev and crushing DO while still working on developing start with DO?

Advice for centering the kink using Rev start?

All was done in IMP.

Thanks in advance.

Is it advisable to progress with kinking Rev and crushing DO while still working on developing start with DO?

Advice for centering the kink using Rev start?

No. Hardest part of DO is the kink but once you get it you'll take down the biggest steel that way. DO is technical. Most struggle to get it right. The only thing to do is film your attempts and post it here for review. We need to see what is going wrong. Chances are you're chicken winging.

For reverse just grab the bar off center in such a way that it bends on center. Might need to move the wraps up or down to get the right grip.

you are totally strong enough to bend this steel.

first off, I can say you need to lock up before the kink rather than trying to bring the nail up and bending in one motion. also you are trying to bend it too far away from your body. this reduces leverage greatly. touch the steel to your throat before you start the kink.

for my style you have the wraps a little too far out, but that's just my preference. I like them exactly 2" in, and I will move them up the deeper into the bend i go.

check out sean Cashman's DO bending video. goes through the technique step by step.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

+1 everything Mike said. Also do some shoulder stretches to loosen up the pecs and anterior delts so you can get into a better position on the kink. You want the bar almost touching your base of the neck. Then try to get the elbows out in front of the bar andfigureatively try to touch your elbows together on a near horizontal plane. Test that out and post another max effort vid. Those work best to see where things are breaking down. You're definitely strong enough to bend that bar, just need some tweaking. Great effort man!

Too much hollow work and here I thought my flexibility was improving lol. Thanks again to you both. Will post another vid after some adjustments.

Quick update.

Warmed up on some 3/16 then a couple carriage. Failed several times to even kink a 1/4x7 HRS, so I kinked it very slightly and failed again. Said screw it and moved on, did RT work and some wrist developer then I was pissed and came back. Focused on pressing the end together and NOT wrist-ing it. Was not the prettiest but I was able to finish the kink and crush it down. More technique work is in order but it seems to be slowly sorting itself out. Resisting the urge to just reverse bend it and learn DO.

Looks like you are more than strong enough to Kink a 7" x 1/4". I think it comes down to bar placement in your hands and getting into a powerfully correct kink position to maximize leverage.

+1 to what Mike and Daniel have already said. Keep working at it. It'll come.

Check out my video and compare how the bar is placed in your hands -

Good luck. Keep us posted.

• Like 2

^ This video is pure gold ^. Follow it closely. I think Mike and Dan have pretty well covered the bases. Practice your form on those 3/16 bars. Remember that it's your technique that is going to bend these bars!

Edited by Idiedintothe

Was the technique change and just pushing past the point of where it did not feel like it would bend and bending it anyway. Now practice practice practice. That video has been a huge help. Watching it daily right now.

Took two hits but kinked and easily finished the 1/4x7 HRS I have. Think that stock will be good to practice with. Part of it was simply the act of continuing the bend even when it felt like it was not moving, once it started it went.

• Like 1

That's an extremely well done video. Bro don't worry about it. Pretty much agree with everyone else in that DO is all about being comfortable and getting the technique down.