New Way Of Training And Kettlebells

PeterSweden

Hey!

I'm moving to a bigger house next month and I'll be getting a big garage where I'll start building my own gym.

I already have benches and racks, bars and dumbells and weight plates.

Im going to buy a couple of kettlebells.

Im thinking 24kg and 32kg to start with anyway.

Im going to do some weight training but mostly bodyweight training, kettlebells and some strongman like exercises like tyre flips.

Now I need someone who knows about kettlebells where I can find a good basic program that I can mix with bodyweight training.

I have Pavels Enter the kettelbell so technique is not an issue, just programming and knowing how much volume I should do.

I hope someone can help me!

Thanks!

I am actually reviewing a pretty cool product from a friend, Mike Krivka, called Code Name: Indestructable.

Mike is a pretty cool dude. I first met him at my RKC Cert (He is a Team Leader) and then again later at York Barbell during one of his Wounded Warriors benefits.

The ebook has good instruction on training with kettlebells and includes 20 Workouts, which Mike calls "Missions".

Mike is a self-titled James Bond Super Fan, so a lot of the manual's training section are colored with reference to Bond movies. Plus it includes Bond movie Trivia.

Like I said, I am reviewing the product and will be interviewing Mike in some way soon, but he did a good job with it and recommend you check out the page above to see if it might be something that fits you.

Jedd

• Like 1

Link didnt work :(

Sorry about that. I fixed it.

• Like 1

Great stuff Jedd, I bought it and Im starting reading now :)

I'll get back to you with my thoughts. :)

Btw, will lots of KBwork fatigue my grip and hinder my grip training?

It can have an effect, for sure. You may want to put your KB work after your grip work if you do them both on the same day, or allow several hours to recover.

It depends quite a bit on how much volume you are doing, the actual exercises, and your recovery abilities.

I love that you taught me to do my regular training or a real badass warmup before grip, that made me close coc3!

Im freaking excited to start training with kettlebells! Feeling hooked already :)

I think I can manage doing grip after KBwork if I rest 5-10 minutes.

Can I use straps when I train some KBexercises to save my grip?

Peter, I didn't realize that was you - I didn't know your Gripboard Name.

Heheh, here I am dude :)

Got tired of powerlifting, it was always the same stuff.

With kettlebells and bodyweight training + some heavy powerlifting now and then I can do 10000000 things and never get bored :)

Yeah, seriously don't try the straps if you are snatching a KB, that could be really bad news. One thing that does help is tight fitting work gloves. It will reduce the friction on your hand and make it a little easier on the grip.

I've done ETK/ROP for KB pressing - currently doing the russian ladders with my 103# KB.

For snatches, I do the Viking Warrior Conditioning workout - I really like the systematic way Kenneth goes about structuring the routine. I like the 36:36 program, and I switch between different bells to mix it up - from the 45# (just did 34 intervals) all the way up to the 70# kb (for 6-8 intervals, though I want to boost this, this year).

If you're going to do grip on the same day, I suggest doing KB work in the morning and grip in the evening, or vice-versa depending on what is more important to you. Snatching heavy kbs, or cleaning heavy kbs will impact the grip big time. If you're doing bodyweight pull-ups, deadlifts, etc. that, with all the grip stuff can easily get one into an overtrained mode.

• Like 1

Peter - just read your training logs - if you're doing handstand push ups, then 24kg and 32kg kbs will only be good for snatches and swings. With your pressing power, you can probably stack the 24kg on the 32kg, and easily press them both with a little practice.

• Like 1

Peter - just read your training logs - if you're doing handstand push ups, then 24kg and 32kg kbs will only be good for snatches and swings. With your pressing power, you can probably stack the 24kg on the 32kg, and easily press them both with a little practice.

Ahh dude! Im going to do these workouts that Jedd suggested for a month or two and then I'd like you to help me point me in a brutal direction :) Im kinda clueless atm!

Maybe you can help me set some stuff up?

Sure - I can offer some suggestions based on your goals. For pure strength, you've pretty much got it nailed with your current abilities, so conditioning, work capacity, and maybe some mobility work will be all that KBs can offer you now.

• Like 1

Krivka's book is very nicey done. He's a friend of mine from when we did CKFMS together. I also do a lot of bodyweight work, rings, parallettes etc. I teach both KB and Gymnastic strength. They will compliment each other well. Simple changes like doing the push ups facing the wall in a hollow body position will make a big difference etc.

Nic Branson

• Like 1

I thought that I might do something like this in the future;

Monday; kb swings, squats, jerks, lunge, boxjumps, jumpsquat.

Tuesday; kb snatch, clean, getups, windmill and RT.

Wednesday; pull/chinups, benchpress, pushups, some kind of rows, biceps work.

Thursday resting

Friday resting

Saturday or sunday; rest or handstand pushups, dips, shoulders with barbell kb or dumbell, core, grippers.

not all exercises every time.

Whatcha think??