Those Who Can't, Teach.

Rick Walker

Since I can no longer train with weights due to my heart condition, my focus has been on training my 8 year old son for next years football season. He will be in the 9-10 year old league and on a new team with something to prove. He is going to knock some heads next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfsYp2PWc-8

For those who don't/didnt know, I had a heart issue back in August and my new doc at the Cleveland Clinic said from now on bodyweight and cardio only. No more lifting. When you die for 14 seconds after deadlifting, they tend to not want you doing it anymore...

Thanks for watching!

• Like 1

Glad to hear you stayed away from the daisy pushing profession! Your son is a little lifting monster already. My son will DL a 106# kb, but not for reps, and not with that good of a form.

Wow! He's bound to be the strongest kid on the team. Really good form, too!

I knew about your heart trouble, Rick, but geez... glad you're still around!

"When you die for 14 seconds after deadlifting,"

What!?

Yep. August 31st, around 7:00 pm. Just finished deadlifting for reps and was on the couch chilling with the kids and had a fatal heart rythm. Thankfully my device did it's job and shocked me just as I died and brought me back.

Now I am on a bunch of pills awaiting my next appointment tomorrow actually. They are going to go in and laser the cells that are causing the disturbance. As of right now, I cant even jog, but after the laser I should be good to go. Just no more weights.

Ah well, there are other things in life more important. I have now renamed the Garage of Pain the Monster Factory! :grin:

Wow! He's bound to be the strongest kid on the team. Really good form, too!

I knew about your heart trouble, Rick, but geez... glad you're still around!

Thanks Eric. Yes, still alive, just not as much kicking anymore!

gday Rick - sorry to hear you've been unwell, esp after your operation earlier in the year. I hope things turn around for you. your boy sure looks like a future champion, he's lucky to have a dad that cares! all the best mate and play the dealt cards as best you can.

Your son is definitely going to be the strongest kid on his team. Looks like his dad is an excellent trainer!

• 1 month later...

Laser surgery was a success. I went from having my strange arrhythmia 50% of the time to now 1.9%.

This means I am free to get back to working out, just no heavy lifting. Casey is still doing great. I am going to have some new vids soon of him handling some massive weights for his age and weight. He is a monster!

I have a few tricks under my sleeve for my own training as well...

• Like 1

Good news Rick

Fantastic, Rick!

Great to hear the procedure was a success and you can ease back into what you love!

Great news Rick! :)

Go easy and be patient.

You'll be fine my friend!

Your kid is a beast!!! :rock

Thanks for sharing!!!

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Rick. Scary stuff!

Thanks fellas.

Not out of the woods yet. Still some flare ups, but they said that can happen for up to 3 months as the heart heals. The medicine they have me on is a bitch, one day you feel great the next you feel like you got ran over by a truck. BUT, I take the good with the bad and focus on what is important: the wife and the kids, with fishing in there from time to time! LOL!

Right now I am not cleared to do anything but go to work and play Xbox. I am good with that for now.

• 3 weeks later...

Results thus far;

Went from pacing at around 75% effeciency to 99.7%. Studies show that people who pace below 98% have a significantly lowered life span the lower it goes below 98%, so being at near 100% is where I need to be.

Went from an ejection fraction of 32% and being in clinical heart failure without the effects of heart failiure to 54% ejection fraction (normal is 55). My heart doctor called me and said his is between 55 and 60, so basically my heart is now as healthy and functioning as well as his.

I did a pretty hard aerobic workout last week, did not need my asthma inhaler once. Makes me and the doc wonder if I ever had asthma at all, or if this heart problem has been wrecking me over the years.

Regardless, he told me to quit stressing this heart stuff and go out and LIVE me life.

That is exactly what I am going to do...

Awesome to hear Rick - Now go out and wet a hook, wrestle with your kids and do aerobics with your honey-lol

Results thus far;

Went from pacing at around 75% effeciency to 99.7%. Studies show that people who pace below 98% have a significantly lowered life span the lower it goes below 98%, so being at near 100% is where I need to be.

Went from an ejection fraction of 32% and being in clinical heart failure without the effects of heart failiure to 54% ejection fraction (normal is 55). My heart doctor called me and said his is between 55 and 60, so basically my heart is now as healthy and functioning as well as his.

I did a pretty hard aerobic workout last week, did not need my asthma inhaler once. Makes me and the doc wonder if I ever had asthma at all, or if this heart problem has been wrecking me over the years.

Regardless, he told me to quit stressing this heart stuff and go out and LIVE me life.

This is AWESOME.

Awesome to hear Rick - Now go out and wet a hook, wrestle with your kids and do aerobics with your honey-lol

Ice on the lakes and ponds right now, but when it melts WATCH OUT. I dont ice fish...I dont do much outside in the winter, not a winter sports guy. Already been kicking their butts, and we start Insanity as soon as the DVDs show up. I have a lot of weight to lose.

Results thus far;

This is AWESOME.

Thanks brother. We are pretty stoked about it.

Strong kid, he takes after his dad.

Glad you got the heart problem settled and hope all is well.

He is doing well. The question is, can we take that strength and do something with it out on the baseball and football fields? We will know soon enough as baseball tryouts are the end of March!

Glad to hear, that's excellent news Rick!

Best news we have had since we found out we were having twins nearly 3 years ago!