Pull-up Challenge

EricMilfeld

How much do you weigh? 400lbs would be huge! Did my first workout after illness and felt so weak, assuming that my body hasn't fully recovered yet.

I weigh close to 200. I think i will hit 300 as soon as i get back into it because ive done it before with a supinated grip. My best effort is 100x4 chest-to-bar. But 400 is my long-term goal. I'm in the process of gaining weight, so i expect to eventually hit 220 or 230 and add 170-180 in plates. Like, two years from now.

Illness/injuries suck. The only good thing about coming back is you know your strength will return way faster than it came initially.

I increased the number of "clubs" by making the jumps in 25 pound increments instead of 50, as well as including a "175 club" to start the list.

I increased the number of "clubs" by making the jumps in 25 pound increments instead of 50, as well as including a "175 club" to start the list.

I feel a warm and fuzzy feeling inside my tummy... Could it be because of the new 175 club?? :flowers:

I feel a warm and fuzzy feeling inside my tummy... Could it be because of the new 175 club?? :flowers:

Ha ha!

The 175 club for a 130 pound man is an excellent feat in my book.

Wouldn't that put me in the 325 club?

Also, I haven't been keeping up with this thread much - is it pull-ups and/or chin-ups?

Ha ha!

Pffft, it'll be 225 club soon enough!

I'm trying to get a few friends in on this challenge as well. Second week back doing pullups for me, I tested a max and fell off a lot farther than I expected. I thought I would be around 275 and hit 300 within a month or two, but I maxed out at 250 with my chest-to-bar method (195 BW). Formerly could pull 80-90 added weight overhand and 110 underhand. Will film a video once I can get into the 275 club. Very exciting and humbling challenge, Eric. This has me refocused on pullups for the indefinite future.

Wouldn't that put me in the 325 club?

Also, I haven't been keeping up with this thread much - is it pull-ups and/or chin-ups?

Indeed it does. I've corrected that for both you and Steve. And, yes, it's still pull-ups only. Tommy posted the chin-up vids just for fun.

Ha ha!

Pffft, it'll be 225 club soon enough!

I have no doubts.

I'm trying to get a few friends in on this challenge as well. Second week back doing pullups for me, I tested a max and fell off a lot farther than I expected. I thought I would be around 275 and hit 300 within a month or two, but I maxed out at 250 with my chest-to-bar method (195 BW). Formerly could pull 80-90 added weight overhand and 110 underhand. Will film a video once I can get into the 275 club. Very exciting and humbling challenge, Eric. This has me refocused on pullups for the indefinite future.

Oh, very cool. I hope they join in. I haven't even posted a video myself yet. My right might finally be recovered from the arm wrestling. I thought it was a while back, but no. I was able to do a set of 15 pull-ups the other day with no weight... and no pain. And good luck with 275! That's where I hope to join in.

Thanks Eric for updating the list.

By the way, my elbow tendinitis has subsided, and I've been able to widen my grip enough to prevent recurrence. I'm hoping to take another run at the 350# club in the next 2-3 months.

New video submission for 175 club coming on Friday. Should remind you a bit of Andrew Durniat's MM1 cert.

Martin, your're very welcome. Great news about your elbow! 350 would be a stout weight.

Yori, I imagine 175 is something you could rep.

So, decided to have a shot at this, but upon arrival at the gym saw that the scales were broken. So sadly I had no way of verifying my weight, the video below isn't a submission for the reasons stated but thought I'd post it up anyway. Never really experimented with heavy pull-ups before, normally stick to chins because it's easier on my elbows. Having seen the video's of Boris Terry (look him up, absolute BEAST) on YouTube I might start experimenting with some pull-ups as well as the chins.

Edited by patrickmeniru

Nice work, Patrick! So close on that 50k.

Strong!

Nice work, Patrick! So close on that 50k.

Thanks guys, pretty busy studying for my finals at the moment but will try and get a proper submission of a 300lbs+ lift in the next couple of weeks. Great thread, glad to see pull-ups getting some more recognition!

Okay. Hoping that this could maybe get me into the 175 club.

And then some! Most impressive performance, Yori. A lot of lat power, for your size especially.

I'll go update right now.

Thanks Eric, thanks Patrick.

4 more weeks til the end of my amended Starting Strength program.

I'd like to aim for the 225 club then.

• 2 weeks later...

I should probably wait until the video finishes uploading to Youtube ... but I'm bored. :whistel

Hopefully the video is clear enough -- the first time I tried to film it, the area near the bar was too dark, so I focussed a flashlight in the general area to improve visibility. My workout room is too small to get the best angle, so the camera was in the doorway looking in.

Never did max weighted pull-ups before (only weighted chin-ups for volume) and never used a dip belt, didn't realize it would be so difficult waddling around with the weight dangling off my waist.

Bodyweight 161.5#, total weight of 274# :( Will add a little something to next week's workout to get me to the 275# club.

bdckr, I watched the finish of the movement about a dozen times and granted, it's not the best video angle, but it appears you just barely miss clearing the bar with your chin.

Very strong, though!

I agree, very strong.

Bdckr, you may as well try for the 275 next time.

Thanks. You're no slouch yourself :)

bdckr, I watched the finish of the movement about a dozen times and granted, it's not the best video angle, but it appears you just barely miss clearing the bar with your chin.

Very strong, though!

That's fair. I'll try to plan my next week's workout so that my wife is around to film it.

Looking forward to seeing this. Make sure you have her hold the camera up high.

• 2 weeks later...