Pull-up Challenge

EricMilfeld

Shamelessly copying Josh's Curl Wars idea, I got the idea for a pull-up war. Bigger guys will probably have a bit of an advantage with this format, but here's my idea: how much total weight (you, plus any additional weight hung from your waist) can you perform a dead-hang pull-up (palms away) with? Like the Curl Wars, this could be an on-going thread. Who can make the 200 club, the 250, the 300, and yikes, the 350 club?

Yesterday was the first day since July, when I hurt my left bicep picking up an atlas stone, that I've been able to perform a pull-up with no pain. So, I should be able to make some decent progress over the next couple of months. I'll make a video after I get a few workouts under my belt.

For the video, the easiest way to record the weight would probably be to simply stand on the "zeroed" scale with the weight already attached to your waist, either before or after you perform the pull-up/chin-up. And make sure the bottom of your chin clears the top of the bar.

Following the list of "Clubs" is a ranking of the performances calculated by dividing the total amount of weight performed for a pull-up/chin-up by the person's body weight.

Pull Ups

175 Club

Yori Skutt: 190

200 Club

225 Club

250 Club

275 Club

steveO: 281

300 Club

Morgan Guthner: 302

Tom Scibelli: 315

tja: 302

325 Club

bwwm: 338

350 Club

bwwm: 360

375 Club

400 Club

1) tja: 150% @ 203 lbs.

2) Yori Skutt: 150% @ 127 lbs.

3) Tom Scibelli 143% @ 221 lbs.
4) steveO: 140% @ 201 lbs.
5) bwwm: 137% @ 262 lbs.

6) Morgan Guthner: 109% @ 277 lbs.

Chin Ups

175 Club

200 Club

225 Club

250 Club

275 Club

300 Club

325 Club

350 Club

375 Club

400 Club

Nice idea Eric! I think we already have some guys on the board for the 350 club. Don't think, this feat is so rare. 400 pound club?

Seems like most household scales are going to top out at the 300/350 range. Probably will have to weigh BW and added weight separately?

Maybe best to shoot a video that establishes a baseline as well.

I am open to anything. i just plain like challenges period.

• Like 1

I'm down. Been a long time since i've done a pullup. Last time i checked I could do 100# for 2 reps. 350 club is going to be quite hard at the light BWs.

I'm in. I have not done any weighted pull-ups in a while. Today is back day and I will have my first submission.

I am friends with a guy on YouTube that owns a record in this type of challenge. I think his YT name is ExtremistPullup.

Jedd, I've seen that guy and his pullups are plain crazy.

I think he's done a total of 400+, at 200#BW and 200something in weights

I am friends with a guy on YouTube that owns a record in this type of challenge. I think his YT name is ExtremistPullup.

i subscribe to him too. 400+ pullup total. crazy strong. i believe his BW was around 200# so his relative strength is incredible.

Here is todays workout, I am happy with this for a first day back with weighted pull-ups. Did a bunch of singles with 70lb and a single with 80lbs. Goal by the end of the month is to be over 300. I usually do better with a taller bar with a thinner grip. Goal is to get my bodyweight back down and my pullup volume up.

Sounds like this is right up my alley. I regularly work with +57#'s. I hit +74#'s testing my max about 8 weeks ago, which puts me at 319 total. I'd like to hit +106#'s in the next year.

My friends, Timo Lauttamus 410.17lbs power chin up and also little bit stronger dude Esa Qvintus 440.92lbs ( he pulled also 400kg deadlift)

Edited by Juha Harju

Here is todays workout, I am happy with this for a first day back with weighted pull-ups. Did a bunch of singles with 70lb and a single with 80lbs. Goal by the end of the month is to be over 300. I usually do better with a taller bar with a thinner grip. Goal is to get my bodyweight back down and my pullup volume up.

says videos r private.

Yep, hands facing away. Chin over the bar. Be careful working them into your routine if you don't do them regularly, cuz they can aggravate elbows.

Alrighty. I've never tried for a 1 rep max on this, but I usually work them with low rep sets... I'll have to give it a shot soon.

says videos r private.

Should work now

says videos r private.

Should work now

yup, kick ass home gym.

Edited by bubba29

My friends, Timo Lauttamus 410.17lbs power chin up and also little bit stronger dude Esa Qvintus 440.92lbs ( he pulled also 400kg deadlift)

Juha. Do you know if his one arm chin ability had a positive carryover to the weight chin ups? I've read that weighted chins will carryover to a one arm chin ability, but not the other way around? Dunno if this is true or not, training for the one arm chin... that's why I ask.

Over the summer I did 2 reps with 145# at a weight of 215.

I stopped doing weighted pull-ups though because it started aggravating my elbow. I just do body weigh pull-ups now.

Edited by Tom Scibelli

Jedd, yeah, weighing the plates and one's self separately may be necessary. And Steve is the first to post a ranking video with an easy looking 281 pounds. 300 will come shortly, I'm sure. Juha, those are some insane pull-ups you posted!

200 Club

250 Club

steveO: 281

300 Club

350 Club

400 Club

Juha. Do you know if his one arm chin ability had a positive carryover to the weight chin ups? I've read that weighted chins will carryover to a one arm chin ability, but not the other way around? Dunno if this is true or not, training for the one arm chin... that's why I ask.

Hi!

I dont know because chin ups are not my specifi. :)