Pro Wrestler Closing The #4?

Jedd Johnson

Could it be possible that one of the most recognizable bad guy wrestlers of the 80's could have been a #4 closer in his hay day?

That is exactly what I discuss based on all the evidence I could collect in this new article:

Ravishing Rick Rude: Could He Have Closed the #4 Gripper?

Please drop by and weigh in with your opinion in the comments section.

• Like 3

That was a great read! I loved wrestling as a kid growing up in the 80's. I probably haven't watched more than a match or two since the 90's though. I think you made a pretty strong case for Rick Rude being a potential #4 closer. I guess we'll never know...

If there's something about Robbinsdale creating great athletes maybe I should go over there and roll around in the dirt or something since it's only about five miles down the road from me. :)

Interesting read Jedd for sure! I think he would have handled the #3 for sure but hard to say on the #4. I posted a similiar thread on past atheletes and I really thing Andre would have handled the #4. You should break down Andre's strength feats. I remember an old interview with Hogan where he talked about how strong Andre was and how he didn't know for sure if Andre would let him when because he was so strong he could take Hogan out easily.

I also meet Greg "The Hammer" Valentine years ago when I was a teenager and his open hand slap was reported to be crazy hard as well.

I still pick Bo Jackson as my possible #4 closer. Check the Video on Youtube of him easily breaking a bat over his head and thigh!

Good points.

Valentine always struck me as a tough dude.

There is another wrestler in that Tributes book where the author mentioned Grip Strength. It may have been Andre, but honestly, once I read about Rude's touted hand strength, all I could think about was Rude because I loved that character. I began writing yesterday's article in my head about a month ago.

I plan on going back through the book to see if I can find that mention of grip strength to see who it was.

There are plenty of other examples of legit grip strength potential amongst wrestlers. One of them has to be Ken Patera who was a legit Olympic Lifter and owned records, at least for the US. I have the Bruce Wilhelm book on him, but have no read it.

Superstar Billy Graham was an evangelist prior to wrestling and I know he did strength feats in his act. Also, Tony Atlas did some steel bending on tv at times. And we can't forget the Iron Sheik who was able to manhandle his Persian clubs like a boss throughout the late 70's and 80's.

Yeah I'm sure Andre had the strength to do it. But his hands were (no pun inteded) gigantic! I don't know if he would have been able to fully close it just because of that. Seems like his fingers would wrap too far around it...

And the Iron Sheik. Yeah. He for sure had some strong hands, just judging by the Indian clubs.

This makes me wonder if Bill Kazmaier could have made progress on grippers...he was a beast during his time...he was wrestler...a very small one compared to his WSM days...

When the WWF used to perform at the Scranton Catholic Youth Center, years ago, Rick used to workout at the Scranton YMCA. He was big and strong, and would "slip into character" if bothered during a workout.

That would have been cool to see.

I was once in a gym at the same time as Kurt Angle in about 2001/2002. His weights were not impressive, and he got on his cell phone several times during the workout.

Could it be possible that one of the most recognizable bad guy wrestlers of the 80's could have been a #4 closer in his hay day?

That is exactly what I discuss based on all the evidence I could collect in this new article:

Ravishing Rick Rude: Could He Have Closed the #4 Gripper?

Please drop by and weigh in with your opinion in the comments section.

Jedd,

Loved the article on Rick Rude. The guy was always a character and known to be strong. In Bret Hart's biography "he mentioned that the guy was strong and very hard to grapple with"

I would love to have seen him train on grippers and in time a #4 I believe would have been possible. Wrestling is no joke, "dealing with pain and performing many days on the road, is quite a life"

Dude, great quote! Thanks for posting it. if Bret Hart had trouble with Rude, then you can bank on his skills being legit. Bret wasn't the best wrestler in high school, as far as I can recall from my readings, but he was very well experienced and would know a very good wrestler when he tangled with him.

I was once in a gym at the same time as Kurt Angle in about 2001/2002. His weights were not impressive, and he got on his cell phone several times during the workout.

I saw him on base, Jedd back in like 2001 up in Illinois. His arms weren't impressive but he had a freaking huge neck.

I saw him on base, Jedd back in like 2001 up in Illinois. His arms weren't impressive but he had a freaking huge neck.

My hypothesis on Angle was that his neck injury resulted in nerve damage throughout the arms, just based on how he held his hands and arms. No doubt his arm development seemed minimal compared to the rest of his body. Who knows.

This thread got me thinking about Rick Vardell of wrestling, arm wrestling and fighting fame. He had talon-like fingers, as I understand it, and was a force on the arm wrestling table.

I don't know much about that gent, but he looks like a monster.

Have you read the Tributes books, Wes?

I have not read the book, Jedd. Big dude, for sure. At one time you could find a youtube video of him arm wrestling Jerry Cadorette from 1996, He showed incredible stamina in a long match before winning it.

• 1 month later...

andre the giant definitely. I mean legit freak and his strength was freakish even if his hands were giant i think he could do it! He flipped a cab over with guys in it! nuff said.

• 2 years later...

I'd like to see Rusev try some grippers. Seems legitimately strong.

Also Sheamus.

• 3 months later...

Cesaro could probably mess with a #3

He's one of the guys I would LOVE to have a grip session with.

• 1 year later...

Honestly out of all the pro wrestlers who may have been able to close the # 4 I would have to go with Scott Norton. He was a multi time national arm wrestling champion and had huge hands and forearms. I have personally seen him close the # 3 CoC but at that time the # 4 didn't exist.  

• Like 1

On 1/27/2017 at 2:28 PM, OregonTod said:

Honestly out of all the pro wrestlers who may have been able to close the # 4 I would have to go with Scott Norton. He was a multi time national arm wrestling champion and had huge hands and forearms. I have personally seen him close the # 3 CoC but at that time the # 4 didn't exist.  

Very cool!  Would be awesome to see him give it a try.  I know he's probably not at his peak strength level, but I'm sure he's still very strong.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Did you catch any of the HOF induction tonight? Steamboat mentioned Rude's hand strength several times during his induction speech, said Rude did wrist curls with 80 lb dumbbells and a 300lb one arm machine row. 

• Like 2