#2.5 Rep Question To #3 Closers

Norden

I can mms close the #3 pretty consistently.

I do some work with my #2.5 from time to time, but I never seem to get more than 4-5 parallel reps with it.

How many parallel reps can you do with your #2.5?

Just wondering if I'm weak when it comes to repping.

When I could close my MM1 replica I still couldn't do more than 4-5 reps with my #2.5. :glare:

Edited by Norden

I've never got more than 4 reps with a 2.5, and 1 rep with a 3. A bit wider than parallel.

Yeah, I recently rebuilt my gripper strength based on a reps workout with a Thor BBSM (139). I was comfortable with the #3 again when I was getting 4 reps.

However this depends a lot on how you train. You can add to your max MMS without improving reps much and vice-versa. At my worst imbalance, I was closing a #3 and couldn't get 7 reps on a #2.

Randal told me 12 credit card closes consecutive reps and you should be closing the 3

Randal told me 12 credit card closes consecutive reps and you should be closing the 3

Is this a joke? I honestly cant tell

No I was being serious

It's certainly an accurate statement. You really should be. And I'm positive he means that you'd also be credit card closing the #3.

Yes that's what we talked about

It's certainly an accurate statement. You really should be. And I'm positive he means that you'd also be credit card closing the #3.

What are reps? :shifty

It is just short for repetitions.

Yeah, I was gonna say something similar.

Welcome to the gripboard Daniel, btw.

Um, it's a joke. It's like saying why even bother with reps if the goal is 1 rep on a goal gripper. I rarely use reps in any of my training and if I do it's less than 5, typically 2 or 3. I honestly don't think I have EVER done more than 5 reps on a 2.5. Specificity guys. Know your goal and train just for it. That means less reps and more high quality low rep closes. Does one want power or endurance? IMO tke the energy you put towards reps into quality closes with max intensity. No matter what gripper you close do it with max effort. Try to kill the gripper every time. Mindless clicking of reps is a waste of effort. I train grippers like I do powerlifting, and you should too. Grippers are a power "lift". We work them to try to achieve the highest "weight" possible. That means alot of near max work and intense dynamic efforts on what should be esy grippers. I tell you what, my lighter dynamic days are tougher than my max effort days. Hope this helps bro. Just saying that trying to achieve 12 reps on a 2.5 is a big waste of time if you want to close the #3, or whatever it is.

• Like 4

Um, it's a joke. It's like saying why even bother with reps if the goal is 1 rep on a goal gripper. I rarely use reps in any of my training and if I do it's less than 5, typically 2 or 3. I honestly don't think I have EVER done more than 5 reps on a 2.5. Specificity guys. Know your goal and train just for it. That means less reps and more high quality low rep closes. Does one want power or endurance? IMO tke the energy you put towards reps into quality closes with max intensity. No matter what gripper you close do it with max effort. Try to kill the gripper every time. Mindless clicking of reps is a waste of effort. I train grippers like I do powerlifting, and you should too. Grippers are a power "lift". We work them to try to achieve the highest "weight" possible. That means alot of near max work and intense dynamic efforts on what should be esy grippers. I tell you what, my lighter dynamic days are tougher than my max effort days. Hope this helps bro. Just saying that trying to achieve 12 reps on a 2.5 is a big waste of time if you want to close the #3, or whatever it is.

If you're plateauing on a powerlift 1-3 rep regimen, aiming for max closes, then a drop back to upping your stamina/endurance on a lower level gripper by increasing reps and giving you a higher base level strength, say 60-75% is not necessarily a bad idea! ;)

• Like 1

I got that, and mine obviously was a joke too. :)

I really don't care about reps either, normally. It's just that I haven't done any serious grip work for some time so I thought I would start out with some 2.5-rep-workouts before getting serious again. I totally agree with you and I think and hope that this is just common sense for most people here. Only reason for this thread was that I think it's fun seeing how many reps I can get on lighter grippers now and then, without thinking of this as some serious training towards my goals etc.

Mike, I agree but I was just referring to the core training program. When breaking plateaus one often has to do off base things to kick start things again.

Norden, ok cool bro. I wasn't sure but I figured I'd share my mini rant on reps anyways.

Matt, you liked your own post. Awesome. Lol. Reps can build base strength up but i've never noticed them to build 1rm much. Everyone is different of course, but look at the majority of the power houses doing big 1rm anything.

• Like 2

I got that, and mine obviously was a joke too. :)

I really don't care about reps either, normally. It's just that I haven't done any serious grip work for some time so I thought I would start out with some 2.5-rep-workouts before getting serious again. I totally agree with you and I think and hope that this is just common sense for most people here. Only reason for this thread was that I think it's fun seeing how many reps I can get on lighter grippers now and then, without thinking of this as some serious training towards my goals etc.

I almost spoke for you and said that we both were messing arround but decided not to speak for someone else. I have been doing that latley and am learning my lesson.

Any how now we know how matt got 334 likes under his belt. HEHE

Im going to like this!

• Like 3

Heh, I managed that on my iPod somehow. Didn't even notice. In fact, this could have been a "butt like" similar to a butt dial on a cell. :)

Boosted my self esteem though.

Even when I first started gripper training, I never thought high reps made sense. I always thought about gripper training like power lifting. I wouldn't bench 135 lbs for sets of 30 to train myself for a 405 max bench press. I can see doing them every now and then to mix things up. But low reps builds power for 1 rep max closes. I never go above 5 reps on working sets and prefer staying in the 1-3 rep range. High reps trains endurance and will toughen your skin since the gripper knurling starts tearing up the hand with real high reps.

• Like 1

Even when I first started gripper training, I never thought high reps made sense. I always thought about gripper training like power lifting. I wouldn't bench 135 lbs for sets of 30 to train myself for a 405 max bench press. I can see doing them every now and then to mix things up. But low reps builds power for 1 rep max closes. I never go above 5 reps on working sets and prefer staying in the 1-3 rep range. High reps trains endurance and will toughen your skin since the gripper knurling starts tearing up the hand with real high reps.

This is 100% right. I couldn't agree more.

My $0.02:

To borrow from the Westside playbook on accommodation - if one is varying intensity/volume, speed strength/power, then the body should continue to adapt to the stimuli. For me, what makes it tricky, is that the hands are in constant use (either typing, doing other strength movements, or work around the house, etc.). So I try managing recovery and avoiding injury through over-use, or too frequently intense sessions. I agree that banging out high reps won't get you a #3 close per se, however, periodically cycled into the routine they may be a good active recovery strategy.

• Like 1