Mephistopholes's (bobby's) Training Log

Mephistopholes

Tuesday 1-22-13 at Home

Gripper Finger Closes -

Right -

(1st 2) - S x 10, T x 5, #1 x 3, #1.5 x 3, #2 x SO freaking close!

(Silver Bullet +5lbs) SM x 1, #2.5 x 1 (Woo!) #2.5 x 3rd attempt.

(Last 2) - G x 10, S x 5, T x 3, #1 x close, T x 3, T x 5.

(Silver Bullet +5lbs) #1 x 3 holds.

Left -

(1st 2) - S x 10, T x 5, #1 x 3, #1.5 x 1, #1.5 x very close, #1 x 2.

(Silver Bullet +5lbs) #2 x 1, SM x 1 (Woo!) SM x 3rd attempt.

(last 2) - G x 10, S x 5, T x 2 (Woooo!) T x 1, T x past parallel, S x 3.

(Silver Bullet +5lbs) T x 3 holds.

Today went great. Finally closed the Trainer with the last two fingers of my left hand, and was able to get 2, almost 3 reps in one set. Got very close with the #2 on the first two fingers of my right hand, just a hair off. The holds went well too, and I was able to use heavier grippers with my first two fingers on each hand, using the #2.5 with the right and Tetting Super Master with the left, which felt great.

Also, I discovered something today. Perhaps this is just simple technique that alot of guys on here know, but I honestly didn't. Or maybe this is something that my large hand size allows me to do... Anyway, I discovered that, when I get the gripper in close enough, I can get my thumb around the outside handle and squeeze down on it a bit more, giving me some extra torque in the close. I can't wait to try this out with my "regular" gripper workout this weekend and see what kind of effect it has on what I can close.

So, Question: Is this just a regular technique that alot of guys know about but I somehow didn't? And also, is it considered "Legal" to use the thumb this way in a gripper close?

I'm sorry for your loss. I can just imagine how depressing it would feel to lose my and my familys dog.

I'm sorry for your loss. I can just imagine how depressing it would feel to lose my and my familys dog.

Thank you. I'm upset, and miss him, and probably won't be used to the feeling of him not being here for awhile... But, I have lots of good memories to look back on, and that's what I will focus on.

Wednesday 1-23-12 at the YMCA

Axle Push Press - 105 x 5, 125 x 3, 145 x 3, 165 x 2 (8 sets)

Deadlifts - 230 x 5, 320 x 3, 370 x 3, 400 x 2 (8 sets)

Hub -

Left - 35 x 3, 42.5 x 3, 47.5 x 3, 52.5 x 1, 50 x 2.

Right - 35 x 3. 45 x 3. 50 x 3, 55 x 1. 52.5 x 2.

Today went well. Didn't get to implement my Monday/Friday Pressing plan this week, but I'll start it next monday. Felt great to be deadlifting again. Call me crazy, but I think deadlifting is cathartic.

Hub didn't go as well as I would have hoped, but not terrible either. I think my hands were still tired from the finger workout yesterday.

Friday 1-25-12 at the YMCA

Bottom-up Squats - 100 x 5, 140 x 5, 180 x 5, 220 x 5 (6 sets)

Rolling Thunder (Messed up and used the wrong weights for this, didn't realize until I got home... explained below)

Left - 125 x 3, 140 x 3, 155 x 3, 170 x 3, 180 x 1, 175 x 2.

Right - 125 x 3, 140 x 3, 155 x 3, 170 x 3, 182.5 x 2, 175 x 2.

Hise Shrugs - 185 x 10, 235 x 10, 275 x 10, 325 x 20.

Today was.. actually alright :) Squats went well, Hise shrugs went well... But here's the thing, I forgot my Journal at home, so I didn't have my previous numbers with me... after the Rolling Thunder lifts, I thought I wasn't doing very well. It had been a couple weeks since I last did it, and since I forgot my journal, I loaded it up to what I thought I had lifted the last time I had done it (with an extra warmup set in there), and I didn't get near as many reps as I wanted to, so I left the gym kinda bummed out... But when I got home, that all changed. Looking at my journal, I now see that all the weights I used for the Rolling Thunder today were TOO HIGH! especially on the left hand. So in retrospect, I actually did pretty good :) next time however, I will lift with the correct weights, and that should go much better. haha.

• Like 1

Those are big numbers on the RT, good job!

Thanks man! My goal right now is 200lbs, and the Crushed to Dust challenge, but I want that 200 to be solid, hence the reps. Then I'll aim for bodyweight. But I really wonder what I could do if I was really trying to max on it, and not just increasing weight in training...

Thanks man! My goal right now is 200lbs, and the Crushed to Dust challenge, but I want that 200 to be solid, hence the reps. Then I'll aim for bodyweight. But I really wonder what I could do if I was really trying to max on it, and not just increasing weight in training...

Yeah I'm trying to hit 200 for the CTD too, but I've kinda stalled on my numbers. I might change up my program next week hopefully that will help.

Yeah I'm trying to hit 200 for the CTD too, but I've kinda stalled on my numbers. I might change up my program next week hopefully that will help.

I find the low rep sets to be really helpful toward making gains on this. With singles, it's pretty hit or miss, but with the low reps, you've got a bit more room to fight it. Haha. Where are your numbers now?

Yeah that's what I'm going to start next week, a program with lower reps, something like 6 sets of 3. I'm at around 165 ish right now so I have a ways to go, it suck because all my other lifts are going up but this one :angry2:

Ah. Yeah if I had the time I'd do the 8x2 scheme with it...

Well, as hard as it always is, maybe drop back your weight a little and work back up. That way, you'll develop some momentum in your gains, and will surpass your previous plateau along the way, as long as you don't rush things and progress steadily. I do that from time to time when I get stuck and it helps.

Saturday 1-26-12 at YMCA/Home

Stationary bike - 30mins

Indian clubs

Grippers -

Left - T x 10, #1 x 5, #1.5 x 3. SM x 2 pretty close attempts, #2 x 2.

(Silver Bullet) +7.5lbs 2.5 x 1, 2nd attempt. +5lbs #2.5 x attempt. +5lbs SM x 3 holds.

#1.5 x 5, 2 back to back sets.

Right - T x 10, #1 x 5, #2 x 3, GM x close attempt, #3 x close attmempt (getting better every time!) #2.5 x 3.

Silver Bullet) +7.5lbs #3 x 1, 2nd attempt. +5lbs #3 x attempt. +5lbs GM x 3 holds.

SM x 5, 2 back to back sets.

Twist yer wrist device - 17.5 x 10.

Today went alright, not as heavy on the holds or closes as I would have hoped for, but I think I was still recovering a bit from the finger closes earlier this week. Guess I'll have to lay off those for awhile, twice a week grippers just doesn't work well for me. But the heavy attempts went well. A little closer every time!

Monday I get to order a couple new grippers from Cannon :)

• Like 1

Monday 1-28-12 at the YMCA

axle Eye-level press - 120 x 5, 140 x 3, 160 x 3, 180 x 1, 175 x 2, 170 x 2, 170 x 2, 170 x 1, 165 x 2.

Hub

Left - 35 x 3, 40 x 3, 45 x 3, 50 x 3, 50 x 3, 50 x 3.

Right - 35 x 3, 42.5 x 3, 47.5 x 3, 52.5 x 3, 52.5 x 3, 52.5 x 3.

Anvil horn

Left - 100 x 3, 115 x 3, 130 x 3, 130 x 3, 130 x 3.

Right - exact same.

Today... ugh.

Pressing went like crap. Only got 1 rep with my planned weight. Just wasn't feeling totally "on" when I went in there. So, after a few more sets of having to reduce my weight, I called it a day for the heavy stuff. I would have deadlifted today, but I'll move that to wednesday. Really just wasn't feeling it today.

Hubbing went well, dropped back 2.5lbs and got all of em.

Finally got back to doing the anvil horn today. I love this thing. Its probably my favorite toy. I don't know why I haven't done it in so long, but since it has been a long time, I just went light with it today.

I was thinking about my lifting routine when I got home, and think I'll tweak my schedule just a little more. the 11-day rotational gap thing I think may be too much, so what I'm going to do is drop the eye-level presses and just focus on military pressing and push-pressing. Also, I'll only do 1 "big lift" per workout, an assistance lift with less sets, and a grip lift. This will not only conserve my energy, but save some time too. haha. I figure with all the cleans I'm doing with my presses, I don't really need to also be doing it as a primary lift, so it will be an assistance lift in there.

This schedule will be for Mon/Wed/Friday, and will rotate days, only having 9 days between each repetition of a given lift. Saturday will remain gripper day... Schedule will look something like this:

"A"

Squats

Axle Deads

Pullups

"B"

Push-press

Curls

Anvil

"C"

Deadlifts

Hub

Hise Shrugs

"D"

Military Press

Axle Cleans

RT

I'll star with the deadlift workout wednesday, the the military press workout friday, squats monday, push press wednesday, etc...

Good news: ordered new grippers today :)

• Like 1

What grippers you ordered?

I made some today; I bent a 20" bar (which was a workout in itself) and then put lots of tape near the top where the bend is, now when I grab the two ends, they act as a makeshift gripper haha.

Also, got my machinist friend welding the collars on my axle today and making a bigger loading pin, which will also double as the middle bar for my 2HP set up. Woooooo.

Also, got my machinist friend welding the collars on my axle today and making a bigger loading pin, which will also double as the middle bar for my 2HP set up. Woooooo.

Gonna need to start seeing pictures/videos of your equipment.

..... I just realised how wrong that sounds!

Or maybe I'll do my military press workout tomorrow.... It's been a while since I last did it, unfortunately, due to some scheudling setbacks, and Friday morning im supposed to do some $*** I don't wanna do, and pressing in the afternoon might not go so well then. But I can definitely deadlift after it. Haha.

Or maybe deadlift and press tomorrow, then get on the new schedule friday... Hmmm...

Wednesday 1-30-12 at the YMCA

Axle Military Press - 90 x 5, 110 x 3, 130 x 3, 150 x 2 (8 sets)

Axle Cleans - 150 x 3 (5 sets)

Rolling Thunder -

Left - 120 x 3, 135 x 3, 150 x 3, 165 x 3, 175 x 2 (5 sets)

Right - 120 x 3, 135 x 3, 150 x 3, 165 x 3, 180 x 2 (5 sets)

Today felt great. I really needed this workout. Didn't add any weight to the military press today, because its been a couple weeks, but I got through all the lifts smoothly. Cleans went well... Rolling Thunder also felt really good. Again, didn't add any weight today, because last time was weird, but I will next time... Also, I will probably have my new (bigger) loading pin by next time, so I'd expect the lifts to be made a little easier. This whole time I've been using a small 12" loading pin, because I didn't realize what it was when I iniitially ordered it, and never bothered to get a bigger one. But that's about to change :) My machinist friend is making one for cheap...

Wednesday 1-30-12 at the YMCA

Axle Military Press - 90 x 5, 110 x 3, 130 x 3, 150 x 2 (8 sets)

Axle Cleans - 150 x 3 (5 sets)

Rolling Thunder -

Left - 120 x 3, 135 x 3, 150 x 3, 165 x 3, 175 x 2 (5 sets)

Right - 120 x 3, 135 x 3, 150 x 3, 165 x 3, 180 x 2 (5 sets)

Today felt great. I really needed this workout. Didn't add any weight to the military press today, because its been a couple weeks, but I got through all the lifts smoothly. Cleans went well... Rolling Thunder also felt really good. Again, didn't add any weight today, because last time was weird, but I will next time... Also, I will probably have my new (bigger) loading pin by next time, so I'd expect the lifts to be made a little easier. This whole time I've been using a small 12" loading pin, because I didn't realize what it was when I iniitially ordered it, and never bothered to get a bigger one. But that's about to change :) My machinist friend is making one for cheap...

Them axle presses aren't too shabby buddy.

Also, talking of your machinist - have you seen the movie "the machinist", with Christian Bale? Awesome film.

• Like 1

Friday 2-1-13 at the YMCA

Deadlifts - 140 x 5, 230 x 5, 320 x 3, 370 x 3, 405 x 2 (8 sets)

Hise Shrugs - 205 x 10, 245 x 10, 295 x 10, 335 x 20.

Hub

Left - 35 x 3, 42.5 x 3, 47.5 x 3, 52.5 x 2 (5 sets)

Right - 35 x 3, 42.5 x 3, 47.5 x 3, 55 x 2 (3 sets), 55 x 2 singles.

Today went well, but it really took a lot for me to get through it. Just tired. Also it was super damn cold this morning, so I did some extra warming-up. wanted to do some curls in there too, but was running short on time because I got in there late.

Thought my new grippers would get here today, but it looks like once again the postal service has flaked out on me. I don't know how it is in the rest of the country, but around here, the post office sucks big time. And they wonder why they're going out of business...

Edited by Mephistopholes