Mephistopholes's (bobby's) Training Log

Mephistopholes

I think when I can close the #2 with 2 fingers, I will make a video of it. Seems like a good feat to me. Haha. It would be my first video.

Friday 12-28-12 at the YMCA

Axle Clean and Push-Press 105 x 5, 125 x 3, 145 x 3, 160 x 3, 170 x 2, 180 x 1, 180 attempt, 175 x 1, 175 attempt.

Axle Military Press - (alternated sets with Squats) - 105 x 5, 125 x 5, 145 x 2, 135 x 3 (for 6 sets = 18 total)

Oly Squats (alternated sets with Press) - 100 x 5, 125 x 5, 150 x 5, 190 x 5 (for 6 sets = 30 total)

Hise Shrugs - 190 x 5, 240 x 5, 290 x 20.

Rolling Thunder -

Left - 120 x 3, 140 x 3, 160 x 3, 170 x 3, 170 x 3, 170 x 3.

right - 120 x 3, 145 x 3, 165 x 3, 175 x 3, 175 x 3, 175 x 3.

Twist your wrist device - 10 x 3, 15 x 3, 20 x 3. (This feels real weird... Like it, but its weird)

Today went pretty well. Got 180 in the Push Press, which is up from last week. Wanted to do it 3 times, but thats okay. Today I tried something new. I've been reading about John Davis, who was a super badass, and he basically 2 things about his workouts: he did a lot of presses, and a lot of squats. A LOT. So today, I thought I'd do that. After push presses, I started in on the military press and squats and just did set after set until I got tired of it. I really liked this, it seemed to give me energy as I went. We'll see how I feel tomorrow... sooooo many squats and presses.

RT went well, again, I had a lot of energy. Really felt I could have done more... Tried the Twist your wrist device out today, got it for christmas. I like it, but it really feels weird, and I definitely can't do the kind of weight I'd use on a more normal wrist roller... I think next time, I'll just do one death set, something like 10 times up and down, with a light weight, and work up.

Wanted to do high pulls today, but just couldn't find the time really...

Got me a hot date tonight. allllllright. :)

Actually, I've been wanting to try John Davis' 8 x 2 scheme for the press, but didn't want to get off my current scheme yet... But if I'm doing the military press on Wednesday and frday, I could do that with the press and alternate sets with squats at 5 reps. This could be interesting... I think I'll try it next week. 200lb military press, here I come!

Sunday 12-30-12 at YMCA and Home

Axle Eye-level press- 115 x 3, 135 x 3, 155 x 3, 165 x 2 (8 sets)

Dumbbell curls - 40 x 5, 50 x 5, 60 x 1, 55 x 3, 50 x 5.

Grippers

Left - T x 5, #1 x 5, #1.5 x 3, #2 x 1, SM x very close attempt.

(Silver Bullet with SM) +5 x 1, +10 x 4 seconds, +7.5 x 2 holds, 3rd attempt.

#2 x 1.

Right - T x 5, #1 x 5, #2 x 3, #2.5 x 1. GM x close attempt.

(Silver Bullet with GM) +5 x 1, +10 x attempt, +7.5 x 2 holds, third attempt.

#2.5 x 1

Today went alright. Tried the 8 x 2 with the eye-level press and that went well. I really like the feel of that... you just keep coming back and bang out a couple more reps. But my hands felt tired today, and grippers didn't go quite as well as I would have hoped.

Monday 12-31-12 at YMCA

Oly squats - 100 x 5, 130 x 5, 155 x 5, 195 x 5 (8 sets at this weight)

Axle DO Deadlifts - 165 x 3, 215 x 3, 255 x 3, 295 x 3, 295 x 3, 295 x 3.

Eagle Loop Pullups - 5, +15 x 5, +30 x 5, +30 x 5, +30 x 5.

Hise Shrugs - 210 x 5, 250 x 5, 300 x 20.

Twist Your Wrist - 10 x 10 up/down.

Soooooo many squats..... gonna be stiff tomorrow. But soon I'll get used to it. I really like this approach, as I said yesterday. You just keep coming back and bang out a few more reps. Takes a lot of will and determination, but when you're done, you feel extra tough for it. I think this week I will do the 3/2/1 one more time with the Press and deadlift, just becuase I want to be able to get over my previous maxes, which should happen this week. Then next week, I'll switch to the 8 x 2 full on. This will really help simplify my workouts though, so I like the idea. Workouts will be composed of 4 lifts mainly (Wiith the exception of Hise Shrugs, but they don't take me long) Big upper body lift, Big lower body lift, back/hip assistance lift, and grip lift. I like dumbbell pressing, but for now, I don't see a place for it.

Wednesday 1-2-13 at the YMCA

Axle Military Press - 75 x 5, 105 x 3, 130 x 3, 150 x 3, 160 x 2, 170 x nope... (switch to barbell) 170 x nope. 160 x 1.

Deadlifts - 230 x 5, 320 x 3, 370 x 3 .... called it a day here.

Hub

Left - 35 x 3, 40 x 3, 45 x 3, 47.5 x 3, 47.5 x 3, 47.5 x 3.

Right - 35 x 3, 40 x 3, 45 x 3, 50 x 3, 50 x 3, 50 x 3.

Well, today was disappointing. Going in I wasn't feeling quite 100%, but I really wanted to get that 170. Unfortunately, my cleans were coming up slow, and my working presses weren't to great either. 170 just got stuck. I thought maybe if I switched to a barbell, it would go, but it wasn't so. I think maybe I still have some recovery to do from my last squat session...

Anyway, after that I was pretty spent. I started deadlifting, but my top warmup set came up slow, so I decided that I just needed to rest. Wanted to do cleans today, but skipped them, did the hub, which went alright, and went home. Next time, I'll hit it with a vengeance.

Would normally do Finger closes today, but I May just take today off and rest. Yesterday i think i hadnt totally recovered from my previous workout... Plus, last night I was up late watching the sugar bowl. UofL beat the pants off Florida :)

Friday 1-4-13 at the YMCA

Axle clean and Push Press - 95 x 5, 125 x 3, 140 x 3, 155 x 2 (8 sets)

Oly Squats - 100 x 5, 135 x 5, 160 x 5, 200 x 5 (6 sets)

(Wanted to do cleans, but no time...)

RT Deadlifts -

Left - 120 x 3, 140 x 3, 160 x 3, 172.5 x 3, 172.5 x 3, 172.5 x 3.

Right - 120 x 3, 145 x 3, 165 x 3, 177.5 x 3, 177.5 x 3, 177.5 x 3.

Hise Shrugs (done between Rolling Thunder lifts) - 220 x 10, 260 x 10, 310 x 10, 310 x 10, 310 x 10.

Today was a good workout, which felt great after last time not going so well. Started with the 8 x 2 scheme on the push press, and started low so I can build some momentum on it... Decided that, because of the volume, 6 x 5 would be best for the squats, I think I was having trouble recovering from the 8 x 5 I did Monday...

Wanted to do cleans today, but really just didn't have the time. This workout took 2 hours, and that's about the most I want to spend lifting on any given day... Gotta figure out when I can get the cleans in there. I was thinking, maybe after I get a little higher up in the weight with the squats, I'd start doing them once a week instead of twice a week, and on Monday, instead of doing squats, do cleans as a primary lift... Anybody have thoughts on this?

So i was bored... Went down to my grippers, with no chalk or warmup, and squeezed out a rep each on the #2.5 with my right hand and #2 with my left. That felt good :) could've been a TNS but I grabbed the grippers off the rack with my other hand. Haha

I don't know if I stated this somewhere already or not, but in addition to my other goals, I have a goal this year of making a bodyweight pull on the Rolling Thunder. Right now, this means 218lbs.

Sunday 1-5-13 at YMCA and Home

Axle Eye-Level Press- 115 x 5, 135 x 3, 155 x 3, 170 x 2 (8 sets)

Grippers

Left - T x 5, #1 x 3, #1.5 x 3, #2 x 1. (Attempt) SM x 1.

(Silver Bullet with SM) +5 x 1, +7.5 x 1, +10 x 8 seconds.

# 2 x 3 singles.

Right - T x 5, #1 x 3, #2 x 3, #2.5 x 1 (Clicked it!.) (Attempt) GM x 1.

(Sivler Bullet with GM) +5 x 1, +7.5 x 1, +10 x nope.

#2.5 x 3 singles.

Grippers again didn't go so well today, hands were just feeling kind of slow... The Eye-level press, on the other hand, went great. Maybe next time I will try doing grippers first, then my pressing workout. I dunno. On the upside, I did manage to "click" my #2.5 when I closed it, which surprised me.

Edited by Mephistopholes

Monday 1-7-13 at YMCA

Oly Squats - 100 x 5, 140 x 5, 165 x 5, 205 x 5 (6 sets.)

Axle DO Deadlift - 165 x 3, 215 x 3, 255 x 3, 300 x 3, 300 x 3, 300 x 3, 300 x 3, 300 x 2 and 1/2.

Eagle Loop Pullups - 5 +17.5 x 5, +35 x 5, +35 x 5, +35 x 4.

Axle Hise Shrugs - 175 x 10. 225 x 10, 265 x 10, 315 x 20, 315 x 20.

Dumbbell Face carry - 30 x 5 carries, each hand. (done between shrug sets)

Twist Your Wrist device - 12.5 x 10.

(later, when I got home...) :

28lb Blob - 20 conecutive lifts, each hand.

2 hand pinch York 45s - 10.

Today was a good day. I started out kind of bummed because of some things that happened yesterday (mainly, my band broke up), but then I saw that there was a pretty new girl who had just started working at the Y. She came over and smiled and giggled and asked me about my axle. Funny the effect this can have on you; I went into bulldozer mode.

Did the Hise shrugs with the axle today and that felt so much better on the back of my neck. In between sets I grabbed a 30lb dumbbell by the face and carried it across the gym. I wanted to start light on this today, and I'll work up... But it felt so good to be doing this kind of pinching again, when I got home I lifted my 28lb blob a bunch. Only stopped because I got tired...

The day got even better though. After the blobbin' I thought that it was time for me to go get some new block weights, so I went looking for cheap dumbbells at this used equipment store... didn't find any that I wanted, but then I noticed some old rusty plates on a rack, and 3 old York 45s! So, I said to Hell with the dumbbells and bought two of the plates... There is still a 3rd plate there, if anybody is interested I could go pick it up and sell it to you. I was pretty excited when I got home so I lifted them a few times in a 2 hand pinch. the 1 hand pinch is defnitely beyond my abilities at the moment. haha.

Thanks!

The hub on them is so shallow, its ridiculous. it's definitely a feat If you can lift them that way. Right now, i couldn't budge them. Haha

So every day I wrap my thumb and middle finger around the opposite wrist to see (roughly) if my wrists have thickened up at all. Today, my thumb and middle finger only touch at the tip (normally they overlap slightly), so either they have grown, or they just have some "pump" from all the stuff I did yesterday. But I'll take it :) I'm not someone who lifts to look good or be big, but I would like bigger wrists, as they pretty much always mean power. Over the last month or so my hands and fingers have definitely gotten thicker, so it makes sense that my wrists may have too...

Wednesday 1-9-12 at the YMCA

Axle Military Press- 85 x 5, 105 x 3, 125 x 3, 145 x 2 (8 sets)

Deadlift - 230 x 5, 320 x 3, 370 x 3, 400 x 3, 410 x 2, 420 x 5 singles.

Hub -

Left - 35 x 3, 40 x 3, 45 x 3, 50 x 3, 50 x 2, 50 x 3, 50 x 3, 50 x 2.

Right - 35 x 3, 40 x 3, 45 x 3, 52.5 x 3, 52.5 x 3, 52.5 x 3, 52.5 x 3, 52.5 x 3.

Today felt great. started the 8 x 2 with the military press, and started a little low, so I'll start adding weight next week. Felt awesome to be deadlifting again (as I didn't really do it last week) and all my lifts came up with ease. I was feeling so good that when I did the Hub, not only did I increase my weight, but I did some extra sets, and it all went well.

Did a few 2 hand pinches with the York plates when I got home... I just can't keep away from them. haha. I'm thinking that, since they make a width of about 2 1/2" inches when stacked together, I will get my machinist to fabricate a simple loading bar with a collar for me, so I can run it through the plates and add weight to them, effectively making a ghetto 2-hand Euro Pinch device! WOOOO! That'll be fun. :)

Thursday 1-10-13 at home

Gripper Finger Closes -

Left

(1st 2) - S x 5, T x 5, #1 x 3, #1.5 x 1 (WOO!) #1.5 x very close attempt. #1 x 2.

(Silver Bullet with #2) +5lbs x 3 holds.

#1 x 2.

(Last 2) - G x 5, S x 5, T x attempt, S x 5, S x 5, S x 5.

(Silver Bullet with Trainer) +5lbs x 3 holds.

S x 10.

Right

(1st 2) - S x 5, T x 5, #1 x 3. #1.5 x 3, #2 x SUPER close. #1.5 x 2.

(Silver Bullet with SM) +5lbs x 3 holds.

#1.5 x 2.

(Last 2) - G x 5, S x 5, T x 3, #1 x attempt, T x 3, T x 3.

(Silver Bullet with #1) +5lbs x 2 holds.

T x 8.

Just did some finger closes today, went pretty well. Managed to close the #1.5 for the first time ever with the first two fingers of my left hand, and was about 1mm away from the #2 with my right. I'll get it soon! And then maybe I'll make a video of it.

Went kind of light with the holds today, but I did use bigger grippers for the holds with the first two fingers, which went well.

Friday 1-11-13 at the YMCA

Axle Push Press- 95 x 5, 125 x 3, 145 x 3, 160 x 2 (8 sets)

Oly Squats - 100 x 5, 140 x 5, 170 x 5, 210 x 5 (4 sets, losing form at the end)

(attempted to pinch 2 45's with one hand in the middle of this somewhere)

Rolling Thunder

Left - 120 x 3, 145 x 3, 165 x 3, 175 x 3, 175 x 3, 175 x 3, 175 x 3.

Right - 120 x 3, 145 x 3, 165 x 3, 180 x 3, 180 x 3, 180 x 2 and 1/2, 180 x 2 and 1/2.

One hand pinch carry - 2 35s, 3 carries with each hand.

Today went good, Push pressing felt great. I think my back may not have totally recovered after getting back to deadlifting this week and hitting it hard, because my form started to suffer at the end of squating, so I quit early. Did some one hand pinching with the plates at the gym, which are rubberized, and have the edge on them, so it was easier than bare steel ones, obviously, but still a good thumb workout. Rolling Thunder went well, did some extra reps...

Rant time: A new guy, the epitome of D-Bag was at the gym today. Pin head, pencil neck, wasp waist, chicken legs, but of course he had balloon arms and a grip like a dead fish when I shook his hand. And to top it all of, an Ed Hardy T-shirt, one size too small. One of the older guys there was telling him about all the grip stuff I do, specifically the axle, and the guy started talking about how last time he measured his arms, they were 21 inches. So I told him he should try curling with the axle, because obviously he likes to curl, and he asks, "Well how heavy is that thing?" I tell him it is 75lbs and he says "Whoa man, that is too heavy, you'll tear a bicep doing that, not to mention you'll get arthritis or something. When I do curls with the regular (45lb) bars, I only use a 10lb plate on each side, any more than that is dangerous. Just gotta go light and get the pump."

He probably couldn't have picked it up out of the holster anyway.

And He was clearly hitting the roids in his arms and pecs. They looked swollen. Ugh

Saturday 1-12-13 at Home

Indian Club Warmup

Grippers

Left - T x 10, #1 x 5, #1.5 x 3, #2 x 2 (With several close attempts between the two.

(Attempts, with assist close and hold) SM x 3 attempts, very close each time.

(Silver bullet +5lbs, hold for time) SM x 27 seconds.

(Alternating hand reps) #1.5 x 1, 2, 3, 3, 1.

Right - T x 10, #1 x 5, #2 x 3, #2.5 x 6 (Woo!)

(Attempts, with assist close and hold) GM x 1, pretty close. #3 x 2, very close, surprisingly.

(Silver bullet +5lbs hold for time) #3 x 14 seconds.

#2.5 x 1.

(Alternating hand reps) SM x 1, 2, 3, 3, 1.

Well today went great. Maybe it was the Indian club warmup, maybe it was the extra gripper warmups, maybe it was because I didn't do any other lifting today, but whatever, it went great. Hit 6 reps with the #2.5 in the right hand, a PR, and 2 reps in the left with the #2, which isn't a PR, but also was pretty good, because I had several failed rep attempts in there... With this unusually warm weather today it is really humid and my hands were slipping all over. Decided to do things different today because last time didn't go so well, and instead just went for heavy max attempts, and then assisted the close the rest of the way with the other hand and held the gripper as close as I could... I did surprisingly well in my #3 attempts, I'd say I was like a 1/4" inch off... Did a SB hold for time in each hand and am thinking I should maybe use bigger grippers for this... but that means I gotta order a bigger one or two for the right hand, because the biggest one I own is a #3. Then did some back to back reps, switching hands after each micro-set. All in all it went well, my hands felt real strong today.

• Like 1

I strongly recommend that you buy the beef builder elite and grand master. :)

maybe ghp7 aswell, as a strong coc3 lookalike.

Nice to see more people having their gripperstrength coming along!

Zenitgrippers are gay, they look like womens sextoys :)

Yeah I don't know about that last part.

But anyway, I have a Grandmaster (abbreviated "GM" in my log) but I was thinking maybe getting an Elite and a CoC #3.5, if I want something heavier, or the Z3 and Z2 if I want something lighter for reps, but still challenging. Especially the Z3 because I'm pretty sure it a good middle-ground between the #2.5 and #3.

Woke up today and thought that my hands don't really feel like hands anymore; they feel like tin snips.