2013 Fit Expo Grip Contest, Los Angeles

Hubgeezer

Question for those familiar with the "Iron Grip" style blobs/hexes/block weights that were used last year and I presume are the style this year.

Is that "urethane" that they are made of, a semi-rubberized material for lack of better description? Is that something just made for the contest, and not something they normally sell?

It seemed like the texture of them was such that you could have bigger lifts on them than "normal" hexes/blobs/steel.

Don't know much about Iron Grip Company, except that I have seen them as sponsor of the AOBS and other events for many years.

It is like a rubber coating. Odd had them made just for his contest. They are slick! It came down to having that perfect chalk, moisture ratio. You may or may not think they are easier than an equiv blob. They should be easier due to the flat sides and not being too wide.

It is like a rubber coating. Odd had them made just for his contest. They are slick! It came down to having that perfect chalk, moisture ratio. You may or may not think they are easier than an equiv blob. They should be easier due to the flat sides and not being too wide.

Yeah, I think I do remember hearing something like "they just finished them last night".

I think that the material is the signature compound/mixture/blend they use on their products.

I "think", as I don't know much about them.

Odd told me about them. I've seen their other products and it appears to be the same rubber.

• 1 month later...

The LA FitExpo will once again be the site of what’s likely to be the year’s top grip event as Odd Haugen’s Visegrip Viking Challenge will sic top grip stars from around the world on three of the most prestigious world records in the field of grip strength: the Apollon’s Axle Double Overhand Deadlift, the Rolling Thunder and the CoC Silver Bullet Hold.

When 2012 America's Strongest Man winner Mike Burke latches onto the IronMind Apollon’s Axle at the LA FitExpo, expect to see a huge result—he is considered to be a favorite to break the current world record. IronMind® | Randall J. Strossen photo.

“So far we have an all star cast of strength athletes for the Visegrip Viking Challenge . . . Mark Felix, Andrew Durniat, Michael Burke, Jerry Pritchard, Chad Woodall, David Ostlund, Joel Dircks, John Machnik, Jon Eklund, and yours truly,” Odd Haugen told IronMind. “I have heard from many more, but have not yet received the entry forms.

The contest begins with the Apollon’s Axle Double Overhand Deadlift, and Haugen told IronMind he does not expect the current world record to be standing when this event is finished.

“This event is the reason Mike Burke is coming,” Haugen said, and if Mike doesn’t want to add his name to the record book, consider Mark Felix, Chad Woodall and Odd Haugen, for example, and as Haugen said, “You can never count out Andrew Durniat.”

Mark Felix has reigned supreme on the Rolling Thunder for years and has pushed the current world record to a level that even when considering training lifts, has not been approached by anyone but Laine Snook. Will Felix break his own world record? Will someone serve up a major surprise?

With his huge hands all but swallowing a Captains of Crush No. 3 gripper, Mark Felix set the inaugural world record on the CoC Silver Bullet Hold when the event debuted at the 2012 LA FitExpo and you can bet he’d like to reclaim it from Alexey Tyukalov.

Follow this link for full details, including an entry form.

wow a lot of top pro strongman at this event should be very interesting

Would be cool to see some more gripboard posters in the event. It would be amazing to see someone like Andrew Durniat win since he is outweighed by like a 100lbs by several of these pros.

• 3 weeks later...

As of a few days ago, there were 13 entrants. I believe 4 of the 13 would be "grip guys", and the other 9 more or less "Strongmen".

There were three for which I was not aware of any previous "grip" competition that they had entered: Brandon Hall, Robert Oberst, and Joel Dircks. I found all of them on the internet by Googling their names, and I see that Oberst won the strongman contest at the San Jose Fit Expo in July. He said his height was 6'8" and that he weighed 410 pounds.

A strongman by the name of Jerry Pritchard was in the first two Fit Expo grip contests, and is entered in this one as well. I saw him last weekend on ESPN's World's Strongest Man prelims. He won one of the events, the grip-centered seated truck pull. At the inaugural Silver Bullet, he had a very respectable long hold.

I think it is going to be a great contest and it should be interesting with the new and different competitors, as well as the pillars of the grip community, Andrew and Chad.

• Like 1

Entry #14. Andrew Palmer. Another Strongman, 6'5", 380 lbs.

No question, this is the "Biggest" Grip Competiton in history.

I tried out jeds that Odd sent to him. its just your like a hard rubber coating on a dumbell. The coating is like the rubber they use over plates that are in fancy gyms these days. The rubber adds girth to the blob making it a handfull for the same weight.

i am excited to see so many strongmen getting involved in this competition. i feel these are the types that have incredible potential to be really successful. on the other hand, i'd love to see a guy they outweigh by 100+ like durniat beat them. it will be interesting. will any video be streamed or uploaded to youtube?

i am excited to see so many strongmen getting involved in this competition. i feel these are the types that have incredible potential to be really successful. on the other hand, i'd love to see a guy they outweigh by 100+ like durniat beat them. it will be interesting. will any video be streamed or uploaded to youtube?

I ve been sayING that current or x strongman will hold the grip records some day, its just a matter of time.

it will be interesting. will any video be streamed or uploaded to youtube?

I doubt if there is any streaming of any type.

Youtube, that just depends on who is going. Two years ago there were some good ones of the wrist roller.

I think the contest is going to end with the number of reps deadlifted in 120 seconds on the Inch, as was done in 2011. Guys were paired up so there were two at the same time. That was one of the more interesting events to watch live that I had ever seen, especially when Andrew and Felix were going at it at the same time (at least that is who I remember going at it).

Hopefully someone will video, but I wouldn't count on it.

Andrew for the win!!! At least that's who I will be cheering for - giant killer :). Lot's of big - bigger - biggest guys competing - looking forward to some huge lifts. Come on Mike get that video camera rolling!

• Like 1

Come on Mike get that video camera rolling!

Not going to happen. Don't have one. Even if I did, I am working there and couldn't. And, I will be getting on a plane and traveling for a few days afterwards, so unlike other events, sounds like no post-contest Hubgeezer Report either. If asked, I will write it up for MILO. That would come out in around June :). Seriously, I won't be around a computer.

But Daniel R is attending and not competing. And a technologically skilled young person to boot. Sounds like he is the Man for the Job! :)

Like I said, by far, the "Biggest" contest ever. Whoo boy, some of those guys are bigger than most World Strongest Men winners. And, it's not all thickbar stuff. So I am looking forward to this as the most exciting "spectator" strength contest of my life so far. And, I am giving up watching the Football Playoffs for this, too, including my beloved 49ers.

Sure wish my gripper strength was up more than it is right now, it would be a good place to get Certified. Oh well...

I hope that you take off as much as possible the video? This historic event!
I hope to get some video of the grip event.

Online text:

1. Axle DO

210 kg on the bar

Chad Woodall missed it. 220 next with four guys still in

Andrew Durniat is out. 230 is next for the world record.

Odd misses

Mike Burke does a double!

Mike Burke is going for 516 lb. next!

Mike Burke got 240 to the knees!

2. Rolling Thunder

Rolling Thunder is 260 - Felix and Burke both make it.

Both miss it but Burke had it moving. Felix and Burke tie for first.

3. Silver Bullet

Mike Burke 53.97 seconds for a new world record on the CoC Silver Bullet!!!

4. Pinch grip medley

Mike Burke is cooking - he just smoked the pinch grip medley for another very impressive win.

5. Giant Fishing Pole Wrist Roller

Mike Burke just won the wrist roller event.

Mike Burke kust poinded out 37 reps to win the Inch - another world record for him!!!