The Gripmas Carol 2012

climber511

Also, the pinch conditions were near-perfect for the device that was used. Had we used Jedd's device, there would be no 270 WR. Expand your horizons gents. Use different pinch plates, keep your setups clean and experience different conditions so that you can teach yourselves how to better prep a surface for pinching instead of hoping for an unevenly-seasoned and corroded contest device. Prepping surfaces is the meta-game within grip, and not many people put any thought into it.

• Like 1

There is something special in that garage down in the hollers of Ohio. I had told Chris I would compete if he held Gripmas again, and I did. What a pleasure to see Brad and Kody put on the show that they did. Two great guys.

• Like 1

What a great showing! Congrats Kody and Brad! Pretty cool to see Brad, JL, and even Doc competing. Looks like Chris put on an awesome comp!

What happened with the GHPs?

Not much Danial. Everyone was just pain trashed by the time it was over. Quite a few gave it a ride but only a few successes - I don't want to say anything until I get the video off the camera and reviewed - then sent to Wade. Big Thanks once again !

It should have been judged by a judge. The vid was just something visual to share, not a cert video. At least people did something with it. My crowd is no where near as strong as the crowd you had in your garage! Glad they got used.

I used the wrong side of the block and got it past parallel. maybe. it felt 3x sharper than it really is by that point in the night.

Zach your description of Kody's lift was awesome. I put it up on Facebook.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the conditions of the Pinch. I believe Nick said the conditions were bad, but Zach said they were perfect. I'd love to hear more detail.

I'd also like to throw out there that my Euro feels completely different at Chris's than at my place. I am always pulling 20 to 30-lbs more there than at my place. Could that suggest that if my Euro were used, the biggest lifts might have been up in the 280-range?

I recall you posting about this kind of thing before, Zach. i think you have an awareness of this that others do not.

Thanks,

Jedd

First off, Thank you everyone for all the nice words.

To Chris Rice, thank you for helping me get my pinch figured out. Not sure this feat could of taken place without him helping me figure out what I was doing right and wrong. The details in my opinion are the most important, just because they are often so small that most people won't see them. Chris does a great job of this with everyone. It's no wonder to me why the man is a true athlete of life and gripsport inspiration.

To Jedd Johnson, enough can't be said about how much you have helped me and what you continue to do for the sport. You were the first person I came across on the web to help me with my grip and who I have always counted on for training questions or advice.

To Adam Glass, thanks for all you've done to help me with my strength. You showed me that size means nothing. I don't think we will see anyone with your all around strength abilities for years to come. All around Badass ! Wish you could of made it to Gripmas. You make everyone stronger just by your presence.

To Andrew Durniat, thank you for everything you have done to help me with my grip and strength training. We gotta work on my Axle though, HaHa ! Hope I get to learn alot more from you. Always a sight to see you compete.

To Sean Dockery, thank you for speaking up at the perfect time and talkiing me into the record attempt. Will never be forgotten.

To Paul Knight, Daniel Reinard, Juha Harju, Cesare Richezza, Nick Rosendaul, and other that I might have forgot and I'm sorry if so.

All of you have shaped my training in one way or another through the strength you guys possess. Thanks for you encouraging words in times of need, and for all the training and motivation you guys give me. Hope to get to know you guys better and start taking our grip strength to new levels !

- Peace

• Like 5

Dude, that was an awesome Pinch, my man! Congratulations again. Monster! I think you would have had 275. Did you try any extra lifts?

Thanks Jedd ! I didnt try any other lifts after that. I should have, nervous system was red lined !!

Kody - big congratulations on a super record.

Your new world rec is on the record page.

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/worldrecords.html

I’ve put it as 120k+ record as I don’t have the bodyweights of the lifters yet.

As soon as I have this I'll sort this and any other records too.

Also big congrats to the winner Brad!

The top 3s are here

http://www.davidhorn...tsprevious.html

Edited by David Horne
  • Like 1

Jedd, It wasn't that the conditions were "bad" for pinch. In my opinion, the sweet spot for surface prep was just smaller than usual. It was a very humid day. Temperature was in the 50's Farenheit and it rained most of the day. If you got surface prep correct, then it was a very good day. The next level in understanding the 2HP is probably going to be someone investing the time to collect data and begin to understand exactly what needs to happen for the surface to have optimal friction across a variety of conditions.

Or a guy could just get stronger. Also, in 2007, I drove 7 hours to compete at Beatty's with two severed wrist tendons. Just thought you should know that Jedd.

Doc, I think if I would have competed, I would have had some severed forearm tendons.

It's interesting about the "conditions" issue. I think you are right, there there would have to be serious data collected in order to take that next step.

Dude, that was an awesome Pinch, my man! Congratulations again. Monster! I think you would have had 275. Did you try any extra lifts?

Thanks Jedd ! I didnt try any other lifts after that. I should have, nervous system was red lined !!

I hear you man. I don't blame you fo rthat one bit. Can't wait until the next episode of Grip Strength Radio!

The top 3s are here

The top 3s are here

Thanks David !

I hear you man. I don't blame you fo rthat one bit. Can't wait until the next episode of Grip Strength Radio!

Heck yeah Jedd !

I apologize to everyone for being slow getting everything sorted after the comp. I just turned the heat back on out in the garage and am heading out to start the clean up process - should be done by suppertime and will get on all the paperwork for David - then Aaron's site - then my alternate scoring things I wanted to do and whatever else needs done. Yesterday was the grand kids school Christmas play so that took priority. I'll get there - promise.

I apologize to everyone for being slow getting everything sorted after the comp. I just turned the heat back on out in the garage and am heading out to start the clean up process - should be done by suppertime and will get on all the paperwork for David - then Aaron's site - then my alternate scoring things I wanted to do and whatever else needs done. Yesterday was the grand kids school Christmas play so that took priority. I'll get there - promise.

Muchos gracias. Lemme know if you have any questions with the gripsport.org performances entry when you get to that.

- Aaron

Class

Mary Ann

F - 72

Katie Rotolo

F - 72

Bob Sundin

Zach Coulter

Brandon Gerber

Kody Burns

Chris Rice

Sean Dockery

Brent Barbe

Andy Pantke

Andrew Durniant

Paul Knight

Greg Gorecki

Nick Rosendaul

JL Holdsworth

Brad Ardrey

Nick Pavato

120+

Justin Kaye

120+

I have a SPUD weightlifting belt and a pair of black sweat pants size xl - If they are yours let me know please.

The World Record video I took!

So AWESOME! It looked like you were going to tackle Kody!!

I must say that Kody showed excellent poise in recognizing that the Euro did not feel right and re-chalked it to his liking. So awesome.

The World Record video I took!

So AWESOME! It looked like you were going to tackle Kody!!

I must say that Kody showed excellent poise in recognizing that the Euro did not feel right and re-chalked it to his liking. So awesome.

That was the key to the pinch that day. It messed with me and many others big time. Kody was one of the smart ones!

Edited by nickr104

I think my surface prep was fine - I just needed to squeeze harder :glare: . If my memory serves me right (it seldom does) Kody's best pinch was just a little over 200# when he came down here to work on it. He and I went though everything I have learned in all my studying on 2 HP and he pulled 240# that day. It appears the student has far surpassed the teacher now. Next time I'm having him show me how :grin: . I will also offer lessons now for large sums of money - no guarantee you'll do as well as he did though. :getlost:

• Like 2