Any Recomened Thumb Exercises?

Shooter77B50

I need to focus a lot more on my thumbs.

Do you guys have any specific thumb exercises for starting out thumb training?

pinchgripping, I use a Vulcan with thumbscrews attached, it works the thumbs real good! I've added a small plate that enables me to work both hands at once.

I highly recommend Mighty Joe's thumb blaster. It does exactly what the name says.

I'm not sure if he still makes them, but if you PM him he could probably cook one up for you.

• Like 1

plate pinching is something that requires equipment that you probably already have or have access too... it can also be damned impressive.

Pinching is something you can do alot of variations with, and you probably have everything already. Plate pinching 10s, 25s, 35s, etc. Hex weight dumbbells by the top, standing upright. Blocks of wood of different widths then an eyelet bolt and string to attach plates. Pony clamps. Anything you can pinch that is hard is an option.

Only thing I would add to the above is Titan's Telegraph Key. One drawback is the ability to body english a lift, but if you hold the business end up off the table, that ability goes away. I have seen slow, but steady gains with my DIY version. You have to be careful if you do negatives with it Kinney style, cuz those can be pretty intense.

Only thing I would add to the above is Titan's Telegraph Key. One drawback is the ability to body english a lift, but if you hold the business end up off the table, that ability goes away. I have seen slow, but steady gains with my DIY version. You have to be careful if you do negatives with it Kinney style, cuz those can be pretty intense.

On a side note, I have noticed that my strength endurance compared to maximal strength on the TTK is ludicris. 32.5lbs is my 1RM, but I can do 25lbs for 20reps. Anyone else notice this?

On a side note, I have noticed that my strength endurance compared to maximal strength on the TTK is ludicris. 32.5lbs is my 1RM, but I can do 25lbs for 20reps. Anyone else notice this?

Never tried a TTK but its the same with the GTz half penny and stub. The 1rm is so light that a few pounds under it is really easy.

Yep, you definitely have to break out the 2 1/2 lb plates.

I've also noticed that too much volume can really impact other lifts, so I try to not go crazy with it.

2 1/2 lb plates....heck I have 1 1/4 lb plates! Can't count how many times i've seen people in comps experience night and day lifting abilities on GTz with just 1 lb. Grip nerd, guilty. :D

I have plates down to 1/8 lbs for stuff like this. 1/8, 1/4, 5/8, etc. Very handy for microloading. Sold the TTK quite some time ago though. Built something different that I found much better for myself though I don't get around to using it as often as I prolly should.

- Aaron

• Like 1

I've got a bunch of different sized washers that I weighed with a kitchen scale. Close enough :)

Here is something I made up that works really well, it's easy to build with stuff from around the house.

Parris pinch

• Like 2

I love how he starts extending his thumb, almost like he's considering it.

• 2 months later...

I used clamps and silicon ball. The ball if you use it correctly pump your thumbs very fast

I think it's important to do grip work that "moves". So much of what we do is isometric in nature - movement is healthy and works fulls ranges of motion better.

• Like 1

I highly recommend Mighty Joe's thumb blaster. It does exactly what the name says.

I'm not sure if he still makes them, but if you PM him he could probably cook one up for you.

Only just seen this one. cant beleive this one slipped under the radar! absolutely ingenious. i love how you can train the thumb in any direction, and microload in seconds. All the movements seem to look really natural aswell, compared to my homemade TTK which can put my hands in a vulnerable position when i try to go heavier.

Another great thing about this tool is that it would be difficult to cheat on, like bwwm said about the TTK. Just like hand grippers are difficult to cheat on compared to floor grippers.

EDIT: gonna message Joe and see what he can do!

so glad i seen this post!

Cheers.

Edited by alexjones234

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the advice because I just got started on the pony clamp & fingertip push-ups.

I am working on my thumbs & one finger at a time with the pony clamp but I'm now trying for the Bruce lee 2 finger push ups. I'm trying to get to where I can master the fingertip push ups before getting back with the grippers.

Thanks everyone for the advice because I just got started on the pony clamp & fingertip push-ups.

I am working on my thumbs & one finger at a time with the pony clamp but I'm now trying for the Bruce lee 2 finger push ups. I'm trying to get to where I can master the fingertip push ups before getting back with the grippers.

I agree with Chris's comment about using movement. Much of the pinching routines for the thumb are static. The pony clamp is the best way to isolate the thumb from several different angles. I use it primarily to "bodybuild" my thumb pad by going for higher reps and really squeezing the muscle tight throughout the ROM. It's great because thick thumb pads are the key to big grippers.

• 3 years later...

I use a loading pin with 15kg, put my thumb in a homemade thumbholder and grab the pullup bar, then I raise my thumb to the bar and slowly bring my thumb back and up again

• 1 year later...
On 12/2/2012 at 2:27 PM, climber511 said:

I think it's important to do grip work that "moves". So much of what we do is isometric in nature - movement is healthy and works fulls ranges of motion better.

I was going through Gil's old videos and saw this one gain. Couldn't agree more on the dynamic exercises and not getting locked into just static holds. Same idea as a pony clamp, but without the difficulty curve.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/4/2012 at 3:54 AM, Shooter77B50 said:

I need to focus a lot more on my thumbs.

Do you guys have any specific thumb exercises for starting out thumb training?

I know a lot of guys will say don’t do negatives but if you can get used to them without injury which is sorta tough cause our body’s are very different. They have made my thumbs pretty strong and thumb pad bigger.

3007B368-DA08-4020-A85E-4BAC0D54EE7C.jpeg