Quest To Certify

Broly

2/13/13- BENDING

Had gone to Home Depot earlier and found some HRS 5/16 bars.Picked up a 48" bar, a 36" bar and a zinc 36" bar. Cut the first 36" bar to 7" and gave it a go in doubles (for the sake of my ego!). Thought it wasn't going to move and stayed with the pressure then boom! started going. Kept at it and got it to my normal spot where I need to transition. Switched to singles and surprisingly got it within less than 2" in about 2 minutes or so.

Oh I should point out I got a new shipment of Grade 8's in at 6" 1/4" and these puppies are tough!! they weren't shiny gold like my first order many moons ago and looked dull and in my mind I was thinking uh oh, something tells me these are a different breed. Tried in IM singles before I did the 5/16 HRS and only got it to a wobble. I also don't know if my first grade 8 bends (only ever did 2, and one was questionable) were in suede or IM pads.

Anyway back to the home depot steel. I decided I'd try the next cut 7" piece in singles. Got it to a wobble and that's about it. I only put on an extra 1/3 so it's 1 +1/3 wraps and gave it a go and it started to move. Due to less wrapping I was able to keep it moving and got it within 2 inches without switching to singles. This felt much better. The one thing I'd like to point out is that I got this within less than a minute and After the first big hit I ignored all the pain and kept hitting it to keep the heat up. This seemed to make a HUUUUUUUGE difference in how much faster i bent it. Each hit got easier and easier. Due to being able to crush these I can also train by letting them cool then going at them to help with my Red crush.

I'm told the Home Depot and Lowes HRS /CRS are both about the same strength and are only 10-20 lbs less than a Red. So these will be awesome to train with and practice so I don't waste Reds. Just another point, the 2 bends were both pretty centered. the first one was on point and I didn't mark anything and just felt it. the second i marked.

Now that my ego is good condition I'll go to bed. Goodnight bending world!!!

• Like 1

Nice! Make sure and rest and bring your A game Saturday. Steel will be destroyed!

Yea I'm taking a break for today and tomorrow to make sure I'm good to go on Saturday. I need to bring my FLIP too so we can record some of the lifts. Hoping I've done enough since the comp to bang out two more and qualify. I'll also bring some nails for after.

2/16/13- GRIP & BENDING

Took a trip to Chez's to try out some qualifying lifts in my 74kg class for Nationals and also some grip and bending.

1 Arm Barbell Deadlift

135x1, 185x1, 200x1- Qualifying lift

***Felt right on the money for my max and probably couldn't squeezed 5lbs more out of this lift*****

2" FBBC VBAR

90x5 warm up, 150x1, 180x1, 200xF- Needed to qualify

Chez had a 44ish lb hex block weight I was able to lift but dropped and took a chunk out of his floor and almost my foot so will need to train this a tad more. Couldn't get the 2x 35lb plates either.

Next we went for Euro 2 hand pinch. Struggle a bit on this event do to my hand width but broke into the 150's. At the comp I was struggling at the 130's so my ghetto euro training seems to be helping ALOT here.

After this we need some bending. Smashed some timber ties and a yellow to warm up then destroyed a 7" 5/16 of Home depot HRS in singles then a Red in 1+2/3 IM pads after 3 attempts. Finally got it centered and the crush felt better as I got it well within 2 inches. Opened up a beautiful wound on my right middle finger that I cant' wait to heal so it'll get tougher. Next up...more grip!

sounds like a great training day! hey the vbar is just a 2" lift. not sure if you knew that. if you picked it over 2" high and set it down it qualifies.

sounds like a great training day! hey the vbar is just a 2" lift. not sure if you knew that. if you picked it over 2" high and set it down it qualifies.

Yea, Chez was telling me that too.I'm pretty close to 200lbs at the moment. I got 185 up so if I focus on it for the next month or so I should be able to bang out 200 hopefully and just get it to 2 inches off the ground.

2/18/13- Grippers and PUSH

***FIrst couple of movements were done in between rests on the GHP negative machine*****

Grippers

Tx10, BBAx10, #1x10, #2x 3L, 5R

GHP Negatives

60x8, 70x7, 80x6, 5, 82.5x5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

DIPS

15, 16, 25x10, 50x8, 75x5, 100x2, 1 (PR)

Chest Crush Lift

150x5, 175x3, 200x1, 1 (PR)

Chest Crush Grippers

GHP 7 @154: 8, 10, 10, 10

1 Arm Seated DB FG Tricep Press

30x5, 4, 4

Finished off with some triangle pushups. Energy was awesome and focus was great. Tried one of those $1 b12 stacker 2 energy shots and it was perfect! Body felt great to bend and i figured I'd warm up on a yellow but my right finger was still in alot of pain from the still healing wound from saturday so I decided to skip any other bends and wait a day or two more till it's healed up enough to bend bigger steal.

250+ lbs total weight Dip (100lb in plates + 150+ body weight)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGVDR91FFgg&feature=youtu.be

200lb chest crush

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9cKwIsF_RA&feature=youtu.be

• Like 1

2/20/13- Curls & BENDING

Axel 1 arm curls

19x12, 30x10, 39x7, 50x4, 4

BENDING

Yellowx1- warm up

5/16" 7" HRS (Home Depot) in singles to sweep/crush, let cool then finished x 2

5/16" 7" Zinc (Home Depot) singles= Nope, 1+ 1/3 NO, 1+2/3 NO, Doubles NO- Unbelievable!! Only a wobble. Hard to tell if the wobble came from singles, doubles, etc. Anyway, figured I was just worn out and decided only well to tell is to try a Red in doubles and see and what do ya know! It kinked and sweep easier which means the Zinc was actually stronger than the Red!

5/16" 7" HRS (Home Depot)- kinked and sweeped then stopped with 2 let them cool then finished.

The reason I let the HRS cool is to make them harder. I already know I can smash these in singles so to add difficulty I would go half the motion, let them cool then finish. Still shocked how I couldn't get the zinc in doubles but got the Red in doubles (not finished, way too tired)

Good training idea to let the bars harden up for more of a challenge. Nice bending workout there too.

Good training idea to let the bars harden up for more of a challenge. Nice bending workout there too.

Thanks Daniel. That Home Depot Zinc 5/16" bar took a lot out of me initially, constantly going at it with all different type of wrap options. I'm still blown away that I could only get a wobble in doubles then without more than a minute or two rest, put the Red in and move it easy compared to the Zinc. Maybe it's a fluke and someone accidentally put the titanium with the zinc.

2/21/13- HOSPITAL

well the other night I had a Crohns flare up that turned into the worse flare up I've ever had putting me in the hospital where I currently am. Will be getting emergency surgery this Monday. At least I have free WiFi!

that sucks man. I hope you recover quickly.

Thank guys. I'll be back training within a few weeks hopefully. On the bright side if I drop anymore weight I'll be in the lower weight class for nationals. One more qualifying lift to go.

• Like 1

2/25/13 HOSPITAL UPDATE

Still waiting to be rolled into the OR. haven't had food or a protein shake since Wednesday afternoon and now its Monday!! probably won't be able to eat anything for another week. feel like I'm on survivor and even those jerks can eat bugs.

• Like 1

2/27/13-HOSPITAL UPDATE

Thanks again guys for all your support. Finally spoke with the surgeon. There was about a 12 inch section of my small intestine that needed to be removed due to the severity of my Crohns in this one spot. The good news is that my chrons was ONLY in that spot and now I have a clean slate. Last two days were horrible with pain but I'm now feeling a little better and in higher spirits. Once I can eat solids with no issues I can go home.

Sometimes you have to get worse before you can get better. This sounds like once you have recovered from this surgery, you can make it back stronger than you were before.