Grippers Of Madness

John McCarter

Ok...I understand. Thnx for the vid! I meant entering the gym btw and than starting to hit yourself with a mallet...haha imagine the faces.

Ok...I understand. Thnx for the vid! I meant entering the gym btw and than starting to hit yourself with a mallet...haha imagine the faces.

Glad I could clear the air on that one :laugh . The first time I went to a gym, there was guys there way bigger than I am, I was doing things that they couldn't do and was getting strange looks, never bothered me. There was I guy who actually ran out the door as I was doing partial deadlifts on the power rack, loaded the bar to 900 lbs and the guy freaked out. Wish I would have gotten that on film, I still think of that from time to time for a good laugh.

• Like 1

Glad I could clear the air on that one :laugh . The first time I went to a gym, there was guys there way bigger than I am, I was doing things that they couldn't do and was getting strange looks, never bothered me. There was I guy who actually ran out the door as I was doing partial deadlifts on the power rack, loaded the bar to 900 lbs and the guy freaked out. Wish I would have gotten that on film, I still think of that from time to time for a good laugh.

I've had that reaction before haha. People just started clearing a wide circle around me.

• Like 1

Did some bending today. This was the first time I've touched any steel bars for a long time. I didn't keep track of what was bent but I know there was 6 Blue Nails bent in different way; a 5/16 6in crs bent in IM pads. Besides that, I can't recall what else I did for bending.

Going to start KTA again, had to much stuff preventing me from going all the way, going to change that and get back with it. Think I'm going to start mixing some body-weight movements with weighted ones. Wanna get good at doing Handstands, Bridging, and Pistol Squats once more.

3/14/13 Workout) (Everything is considered lifted unless noted)

1) Pistols: 3x3 (Felt really odd doing these again)

2) Frog-Stands: 6x5 seconds (Attempted an actual Handstand but couldn't push my body up)

3) Gymnastic Bridge: 2x10 seconds

4) Ab Impact Training: Light strikes with a mallet covering the whole mid-section.

On my 3rd day of KTA and finding it interesting again, really wish nothing had prevented me from stopping it. Can't really say what I'm doing, only going to mention that I'm using some stiff gripper and getting close to 60 lbs on an IM TTK, my left is catching up in strength again. Besides that, wanted to do an old workout I did for when I was going after the #3 to begin with.

3/16/13 Workout) (Everything is considered lifted unless noted)

1) Squats: 5/5/10/10x298.4 lbs

2) Kettlebell Cleans: 4x5 (24 K.G.) (Been awhile since I've done any work with any Kettlebells and going to have to include them more in my training routine.)

3) Kettlebell Military Press: 4x5 (24 K.G.)

4) Chest Expander Front Chest Pull: 3x3 (120 lbs Force)

5) Standing Back Bends: 3x5 (Bodyweight movement)

• Like 1

It's cool to see other people doing the impact training. I do it on my lower arms, collar bone, and shins as well, do you ever do that? My mallet broke though (not over my body thankfully) so I've been using a wooden club I have.

It's cool to see other people doing the impact training. I do it on my lower arms, collar bone, and shins as well, do you ever do that? My mallet broke though (not over my body thankfully) so I've been using a wooden club I have.

I did a lot of impact training years ago when I did martial arts (light or hard strikes to different parts of my body, really helped when I was kicked in the neck by a black belt by accident during sparing), I lost interest in that training when I stopped training martial arts; While reading stuff from Steve Justa and his ideas behind G-Force training (which is impact training but on a different style all together and really interesting way of training your body, but man do you have to start out slow) I wanted to start training some-type of impact training once again, plus mixing that with Isometric training will really kick your a## in the right way in you combine both impact training (G-Force) and Isometrics.

Meant to put yesterday's workout here, but was spending time with my girlfriend. Since I've started KTA, I can't really say what I'm doing, but I'm cheating a Tetting Pro gripper down to 30mm and holding over 60 plus lbs on the TTK (if you have never held that much weight in the closed position on an IronMind TTK, it's a lot)! I have to wonder where I truly will end up on that program, but I have some time before I really get to the meat of what it is all about; hopefully I don't get sick again and can go on.

3/18/13 Workout) (Everything is considered lifted unless noted)

1) Kettlebell Swings: 2x10 (Weight at 24 K.G.)

2) Rolling Thunder: 6x1 (Weight at 147.7 lbs) (This is the old handle, I never practiced this lift that much so it feels odd for me, but going to start working on it some more.)

3) Kettlebell Military Press: 4x3 (Weight at 24 K.G.)

4) Chest Expander Front Chest Pull: 4x1 with a 5 second hold (Force of 120 lbs)

5) Squats: 3x3 (Weight at 303.5 lb)

3/19/13 Workout) (Everything is considered lifted unless noted)

1) Kettlebell Swings: 2x10 (Weight at 31 K.G.)

2) Chest Expander Front Chest Pull: 3x5 (Force of 120 lbs)

3) Kettlebell Jerk: 3x5 (Weight at 31 K.G.)

4) Squats: 3x5 (Weight at 312.8 lbs)

• Like 1

Wasn't really feeling it today but still wanted to do something; did a really light workout and not really pushing it. Worked more on tension and control throughout the movements. Only used a Barbell, Chest Expander, and Rolling Thunder.

1) Squats: 2x10 (138.6 lbs)

2) Curl: 3x5 (98.2 lbs)

3) Military Press: 7x5 (98.2 lbs)

4) Chest Expander front chest pull: 4x3 (120 lbs Force)

5) Chest Expander Back Push: 4x5 (120 lbs Force)

6) Chest Expander Windmill: 2x5 (120 lbs Force)

7) Rolling Thunder: 4x1 (152.2 lbs)

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I last posted. Been doing a number of things, but for the most part I had to re-think my goals out (what I was doing gave little yield to the attempt of what I was going after, and had to go back to the beginning of what I'm attempting). Haven't been able to lift much, caught a cold and was really stressed from b.s. I had been dealing with.

4/13/13 Grip Work (Everything is considers closed or lifted, unless noted)

1) Warm Up Gripper: 4x5 (RB100, TNS reps)

2) Silver Bullet: 5x5 seconds (5.1 lbs, MM1 Replica left-hand, GHP Level 8 right-hand)

3) Pop's Gripper: 5x5 seconds (Weight at 181.2 lbs, used only single hand negatives at the center of the grip machine)

4) TTK: 2x5 seconds (weight at 60.3 lbs; felt weak on this today and couldn't attempt any more sets without have the machine open my thumbs from the closed position.)

5) Isometric Lever hold: 5x5 seconds (Front and rear, weight at 12 lbs, held the handle at, or near the center)

6) Extensors: 6x5 seconds (Red and Blue band intermixed together)

(Side-note: The Silver Bullet and Pop's Gripper were intermixed with each other and was attempted after I did a single effort attempt after every set performed.)

• 1 month later...

Taken some time off and just starting back up. Started working out in a gym, feels really strange and just have to get use to that feeling. Had an off night and really couldn't get into a groove

6/03/2013 Workout (All lifts are considered lifted unless noted; the weights used are not calibrated and will be considered what is noted on the plate)

1) Squats: Warm Up Set: 1x5 (135 lbs). Working Set: 2x5 (185 lbs and 205 lbs).

2) Deadlift with Fat Gripz: Warm Up Set: 135lbs x 10. Working Set: 205lbs x 6.

3) Curls with Fat Gripz: 3x3 (85 lbs)

4) Military Press with Fat Gripz: 4x3 (70lbs right hand, 60lbs left hand)

5) Wrist Curl: 4x10 seconds (100lbs)

6) Leg Press: 7x10 (850lbs)

Was going to hit the gym up last night but things came up, but a friend of mine hit it up today after work this morning. This was a better workout than what I had last time which was just pure crap. Only drawback was to getting some skin pinched off, but that was only holding me back and blocked it from my mind and just killed it today.

6/06/2013 Workout (All lifts are considered lifted unless noted; the weights used are not calibrated and will be considered what is noted on the plate)

1) ATG Squats: Warm Up: 2x5 (95lbs), Working Set: 3x5 (205lbs/225lbs/245lbs)...1x3 (250lbs) (Was going to attempt 300lbs but I felt I could had been pushing it too much at that point)

2) One Hand Deadlifts: 5x1 (205lbs)

3) DO Deadlift: 7x1 (405lbs)

4) Curls: 5x1 (110lbs)

5) Military Press: 3x1 (90lbs right hand, 75lbs left hand)

John, have you ever tried the "water trick" with your Rolling Thunder? It's not a "trick" as much as it is a technique to help you lift more - and it has actual real carryover to lifts that don't utilize the water trick method. I could explain it. Or you can just come over and bring your RT handle, since I don't have one anymore. I could transfer some knowledge to someone who could put it to good use.

John, have you ever tried the "water trick" with your Rolling Thunder? It's not a "trick" as much as it is a technique to help you lift more - and it has actual real carryover to lifts that don't utilize the water trick method. I could explain it. Or you can just come over and bring your RT handle, since I don't have one anymore. I could transfer some knowledge to someone who could put it to good use.

I do thank you for the offer but I don't train the Rolling Thunder anymore. I'm just going to use my Fat Gripz every now and again.

Forgot to post yesterdays grip work; was busy after I found out my car is beyond repair, but I won't bore people with the details. Also have a new GHP Level 6 from TentacleGrip traded gripper with him for my old Single Stamp #1. I really forgot how stiff those gripper are, haven't touched one in over a year, and this one feels like a very easy #3.

6/10/2013 Grip Workout)

1) Warm Up Gripper: 3x5 (#1 using TNS)

2) Joe Kinney Grip Machine: 6x5 seconds (234lbs)

3) Strap Hold: 6x5 seconds (19lbs, GHP Level 6 right hand, GHP Level 4 left hand)

4) TTK: 4X10 seconds (44.8lbs)

5) Wrist Roller: 4x10 (142.8lbs, Forwards and reverse)

6) Extensor: 4x10 seconds (Blue-Red Bands)

Worked bending for the first time since March, strength has gone down some but I still have what it takes to kill some steel.

6/11/2013 Bending (Everything is considered Bent unless noted; only leather warps were used)

1) 4 IM Blue Nail

2) 1 Ninja Nail (forgot what level it's at) 5/16

3) 1 Bolt (not sure on what kind it is) 5/16

4) 1 IM Red Nail (took 15 minutes to bend because the bar was off-center during the bending)

Just having an off night and not really feeling it on crushing grip. Just made it simple and right to the point.

6/16/2013 Grip Workout (Everything is considered close or lifted unless noted)

Warm Up Gripper: 2x5 (Trainer...TNS)

Pop's Gripper: 8x5 (219 lbs, two-hands)

Sorinex Hub: 10x1 (54 lbs)

Wrist Roller: 10x10 seconds (54 lbs, Forwards and reverse)

Extensors: 6x10 seconds (Red/Blue Band)

• Like 1

Was bored and wanted to get in a quick grip work before I had to go to work.

6/18/2013 Grip Workout (Everything is considered close or lifted unless noted)

Warm Up Gripper: 3x5 (Trainer, TNS reps)

Pop's Gripper: 4x5 (230lbs, hands had a tough go on the last set)

TTK: 4x20 (25.2lbs)

I do thank you for the offer but I don't train the Rolling Thunder anymore. I'm just going to use my Fat Gripz every now and again.

Right on, have fun with that.

• Like 1

Hit the gym up this morning. Did some gripper work in-between sets for singles with a GHP Level 6.

6/20/2013 Workout (All lifts are considered lifted unless noted; the weights used are not calibrated and will be considered what is noted on the plate).

Hip Lift: 174 lbsx 5, 274lbs x 10, 409lbs x 5 (3 sets on this one)

One Arm Deadlifts: 6x1 - 200lbs

Curls: 4 x 3 - 115lbs

Dumbbell Cleans: 4 x 1 - 100lbs

Did some light stretching afterwords

Meant to post the last few days, dealing with a bunch of crap and having to force myself to actually lift (good thing I'm actually doing it, helps me to focus on getting over this hump). Everything is from the last 3 days.

6/23/2013 Workout (All lifts are considered lifted unless noted; the weights used are not calibrated and will be considered what is noted on the plate).

Squats: 135lbs x 5...205lbs x 5...275lbs x 3

One Hand Deadlift: 4x4 - 155lbs

Power Cleans: 5x2 - 155lbs

Bent Press: 3x2 - 50lbs

Dumbbell Curl: 4x2 - 50lbs

6/24/2013 Workout (All lifts are considered lifted unless noted; the weights used are not calibrated and will be considered what is noted on the plate).

Hip Lift: 180lbs x 10...409lbs x 13...501.5lbs x 3 (This was used with a loading pin IM sells, was surprised it was able to hold this much weight!)

One Hand Deadlift: 208.5lbs x 10

6/25/2013 Grip Workout (All lifts are considered lifted unless noted).

Warm Up Gripper: 2x10 - Trainer

Working Gripper: 3x3 - GHP Level 6

Secret Weapon: 4x5 seconds - 131.4lbs

Strap Hold: 5x5 seconds with 5.1lbs - #3 (Right Hand), GHP Level 6 (Left Hand)

Pony Clamp: 5x10 seconds

Extensors: 6x10 seconds - Red/Blue Band

Haven't been able to work much on grippers these last few weeks, except when I can just do single attempts on a gripper.

Not going to say much, just going to let the workout do all the talking.

6/30/2013 Workout (All lifts are considered lifted unless noted; the weights used are not calibrated and will be considered what is noted on the plate).

Hip Lift: (Warm Up) 2x5 -205lbs....(Working) 5x5 - 525lbs

One Hand Deadlift: 15x1 - 205lbs

Dumbbell Snatch: 3x3 - 70lbs

Dumbbell Clean: 3x1 - 100lbs

I would love to know more. RT progress is not fast.