Curl War 3: The Peoples' Dietitian Vs. The Diesel Crew

jad

I'll join in. Someone needs to bring up the rear.

I've been doing curls for a month now about every 4 days. Most days are random since I'm just getting a feel for bicep stuff and the reason for doing curls has just been injury prevention. As a baseline I could do 55 strict RH. Yesterday I did 60 pretty easy both hands. Tried 65 LH and failed. Didn't try RH because the arm started to hurt a little. Normally I'm 5# stonger RH. Either way, not impressive but I consider it a success since I don't own a pair of biceps. Maybe some day.

Sheesh...the way you make gains you won't be behind for long.

I'll join in. Someone needs to bring up the rear.

I've been doing curls for a month now about every 4 days. Most days are random since I'm just getting a feel for bicep stuff and the reason for doing curls has just been injury prevention. As a baseline I could do 55 strict RH. Yesterday I did 60 pretty easy both hands. Tried 65 LH and failed. Didn't try RH because the arm started to hurt a little. Normally I'm 5# stonger RH. Either way, not impressive but I consider it a success since I don't own a pair of biceps. Maybe some day.

Good stuff dude. I have been slowly increasing my training weight since I haven't gone super heavy in a while but I'll give it a shot next back and bicep day probably this Sunday to see where I stand. I'm going to be hitting it heavy again to see what I can get up to.

Chez,

Had a really good bicep workout yesterday. One of the things I did was Manus Grip hammer curls with 70-lb dumbbells. I love the Manus Grips. They literally fit so tight on the dumbbell handles that it feels like the grips are part of the actual dumbbell.

Anyway, what I meant to point out was I am not hitting max curls most weeks. generally sticking in the 4 to 8 range and minimal rest. Maybe just a couple ideas for your training, since I know your forearm has been giving you trouble.

Jedd

I mostly just AW but my "curl program" when I curl, is the EDT training Andrew described at Nats the one year. I never seem to make it consistent enough to get to the 3 rep week but I really like the 4 and 5 rep weeks and usually do: exercise one RH db curl, exericise two: LH db curl, exercise three: underhand barbell front raises.

Great job on that 85.5# Jedd! I'll have to try a solid db and see if it's any easier like you said. I just posted a submission from Chris Rice on my blog.

I mostly just AW but my "curl program" when I curl, is the EDT training Andrew described at Nats the one year. I never seem to make it consistent enough to get to the 3 rep week but I really like the 4 and 5 rep weeks and usually do: exercise one RH db curl, exericise two: LH db curl, exercise three: underhand barbell front raises.

I gotta hand it to you just for being able to do an underhand barbell front raise. How's that feel on the biceps?

I love it! It's fixed/prevented a lot of shoulder pain for me. I guess it's a good sub-scap exercise?

Underneath bb front raises?

How do you perform this exercise? Do you have a video?

I gave this a shot tonight. I messed up the first video with this weight which I think was stricter. Here is my second attempt. 72.8lbs. Let me know if this lift is strict enough. I'll go for more next time since I have a better idea where I am now.

• Like 2

I'm actually pretty curious what constitutes a "strict curl".

I would like to know what motions are disallowed.

How much back movement is allowed (leaning?).

How much shoulder movement is allowed.

How much if any pronation of the wrist is allowed?

I'd use these vids as an example of expectations for a strict curl. At least since they are the challenge originators we can roll with the baseline lifts.

There has been a long drought in the Curl War 3 Challenge. Many have said they would try but all we heard was crickets.

Well, enough of the resounding silence - it's time to bring the NOISE.

Josh got one that was in the high 86's, low 87's:

I hit one right at 84:

Who's next?

I'm actually pretty curious what constitutes a "strict curl".

I would like to know what motions are disallowed.

How much back movement is allowed (leaning?).

How much shoulder movement is allowed.

How much if any pronation of the wrist is allowed?

Rob Vigeant Jr. issued the original challenge and this was his first entry. This is the video that is the standard. We can argue back and forth what constitutes strict but if you can curl a 100#db in the matter on this video then you've won.

Josh is a great guy and it pains me to say this, but I think he leaned too far back. If you look at his shoulder as a whole, it moves a ton during that lift. Chez video has some of the same. Jedd's latest curl seems the closest to the strictness shown in Rob's video. And by the way, both of Rob's videosof the 94# seem even stricterthan his 3+ year old 87# video.

I gave this a shot tonight. I messed up the first video with this weight which I think was stricter. Here is my second attempt. 72.8lbs. Let me know if this lift is strict enough. I'll go for more next time since I have a better idea where I am now.

Swing curl!!! lol sorry, bro. I'm just being honest. That was pretty blatant use of momentum. You look like a big strong guy. I have no doubt you can get 70+ strict with little to no training.

Swing curl!!! lol sorry, bro. I'm just being honest. That was pretty blatant use of momentum. You look like a big strong guy. I have no doubt you can get 70+ strict with little to no training.

alright, I don't have a problem with that. I'm just trying to figure out what the standard is. That was my 3rd straight curl over 70lbs last night. Here was the first. Would this pass the strict curl test:

Josh is a great guy and it pains me to say this, but I think he leaned too far back. If you look at his shoulder as a whole, it moves a ton during that lift. Chez video has some of the same. Jedd's latest curl seems the closest to the strictness shown in Rob's video. And by the way, both of Rob's videosof the 94# seem even stricterthan his 3+ year old 87# video.

You're out of your mind

I will start the noble sport of curling as well. :D Here's my first entry. 28,7 kg or 63 lbs. Form is not as strict as I thought, but I believe more strict than on some of the videos posted so far? Next target is breaking the 70 lbs with similar form.

http://youtu.be/y_5BQP1FK5A

• Like 2

Teemu, that is a very strict curl! IMO this is the standard we should follow. Straight arm, 1-2 second dead hang before starting the curl, no momentum and minimal shoulder rotation i. e. no elbow going forward, and no back lean.

David, thank you. I have to agree with you about starting with straight arm. Seems to me that many start with bent elbow. Immediately got 5 kg more that way..

Teemu, that is a very strict curl! IMO this is the standard we should follow. Straight arm, 1-2 second dead hang before starting the curl, no momentum and minimal shoulder rotation i. e. no elbow going forward, and no back lean.

You can start whatever standard you like but Rob's 87 will remain the standard for Curl War III. Rob originally said he'd give 100 bucks to anyone that could strictly curl 100# db and rather than nitpick every video to keep his money safe, he submitted his video as an example of what he expected. So while we can find something wrong with almost every video, if it's as strict as Rob's 87, then that's all that matters at least in regards to Rob's challenge and Curl War III.

• Like 2

You can start whatever standard you like but Rob's 87 will remain the standard for Curl War III. Rob originally said he'd give 100 bucks to anyone that could strictly curl 100# db and rather than nitpick every video to keep his money safe, he submitted his video as an example of what he expected. So while we can find something wrong with almost every video, if it's as strict as Rob's 87, then that's all that matters at least in regards to Rob's challenge and Curl War III.

No, I have no problem adjusting to the standard Rob put forward. I'd rather get in line with this challenge than water it down by posting similar challenges with minor rule changes.