Newbie Beginning Program

wojo

I did a bunch of random stuff tonight...

Grippers: Worked up to a real easy #2.5 CCS close RH and followed up with some decent CCS attempts at my BBGM RH, the closest of which was maybe down to 3/16" away. I missed my #2.5 CCS attempt LH, but not by much. My gripper goals right now are to CCS close my BBGM (rating unknown) while working on MMS closing my MM1 replica rated at 155.

Bending: Tried a bunch of different techniques, but reverse style is still the most comfortable. I gave a Grade 8 bolt a shot, but had nothing.

DO Axle: Worked up to 303x4 and missed #5. I was going to work up in weight at first, but didn't want to push my luck with my right arm.

I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon to go over the results of my MRI...so I will know a whole lot more about my bicep injury today. It's a frustrating injury because now that 2-1/2 weeks have gone by, it doesn't seem to be stopping me from all of my grip training. I haven't been pushing my regular lifts because I want to know exactly what the injury is first...but I feel as though I could still squat, press and bench with no issues. Deadlifting might take a little longer, just because of the mental aspect.

Part of me is still holding out hope that it's not a complete tear and that I won't need surgery...but that's probably just wishful thinking. How do you tear your bicep tendon from the bone and then not have any real pain and still be able to train almost as if nothing happened? I don't get it.....if that's the case, I'm voting the biceps muscle for the title of "Most Useless Muscle in the Human Body"...lol....

good luck with the doc. keep in mind they're probably not used to dealing with athletes.

good luck with the doc. keep in mind they're probably not used to dealing with athletes.

Thanks Brent....that's my concern too, especially regarding post-surgery rehab.

I've been taking more rest in between grip workouts and I believe it's made a difference. I finally closed my own #3 today rated at 153.6....I mean I think I've closed it before, but I was always a little unsure....but tonight I finally got it! I'm also now literally a hair/sheet of paper shy of closing my BBGM from a CCS. I finished up with a few super high rep sets with my #2 and some pony clamp pinch work.

http://youtu.be/CYmlMBrZ_YM

• Like 4

Damn dude. Bum arm and all, yet you slammed that gripper like you'd done it a hundred times. You need a bigger gripper.

Cool, I actually ordered a Vulcan V2 today and I'm probably going to order an RB240 sometime soon as something to shoot for on the way to the #3.

Excellent work man. Adjustable grippers like the RB and the vulcan are great tools to help reach the #3.

I myself recently closed my #2.5 and its all thanks to negatives.

Once you get hour vulcan, set it to a tension harder than your 2.5 and cheat it shut holding 5-8 seconds. But before doing this, do 3 sets of 10 reps with a light gripper to prepare your hands for the punishment. ( a good punishment ! (; )

Also with your #2 or #2.5, do over crushes by placing a folded cloth between the handles to add more tension and squeeze the heck out of it.

Always lightly stretch between sets and keep those hands relaxed until the next set.

Good luck bro

I've been taking more rest in between grip workouts and I believe it's made a difference. I finally closed my own #3 today rated at 153.6....I mean I think I've closed it before, but I was always a little unsure....but tonight I finally got it! I'm also now literally a hair/sheet of paper shy of closing my BBGM from a CCS. I finished up with a few super high rep sets with my #2 and some pony clamp pinch work.

http://youtu.be/CYmlMBrZ_YM

Bicep-Shmicep!

• Like 2

Woops that was an old post I quoted and youve actually smashed the 3. Congrats man!

That's funny....thanks for your input anyway!

time to get that MM0 and start up the ladder.

153.6# is a rough coc#3. I have a 148,152.7, and a new one that feels like it falls in between the other 2.

time to get that MM0 and start up the ladder.

153.6# is a rough coc#3. I have a 148,152.7, and a new one that feels like it falls in between the other 2.

Thanks Brent.....I did get my MM0 a short while before WSH and I've been training for the MM1, but that will have to wait since surgery is tomorrow. I got my MM0 with Chez's #3 rated at 149.2, so I was really happy to have finally closed my old #3 at 153.6. My other #3 is rated at 154....both were done by Chris Rice at the same time. The rated MM1 replica I bought from Cannon Powerworks came in at 155. I was hoping it would've been closer to 160....so now I have three grippers all basically at the same level. I'm still looking for something around 160....but again, that can wait now for a while.

I thought when you had the MM0 it said so next to your icon. guess I'm wrong.

anyway, good luck with the surgery and heal up quick.

• Like 1

yeah they must have forgot to put the MM0 label in your avatar. Best of luck and recovery bro.

I thought when you had the MM0 it said so next to your icon. guess I'm wrong.

anyway, good luck with the surgery and heal up quick.

yeah they must have forgot to put the MM0 label in your avatar. Best of luck and recovery bro.

Thanks guys!

Good luck with the surgery.

That's a bummer! Hope you heal up and get back into training. Very frustrating. All the best!

Thanks so much for the well wishes! The surgery went well this morning so it's time to heal up!

• Like 3

I shared your injury update video with my Facebook friends. I just now saw it. I thought you made some good points though so I shared it.

Again, good luck with your recovery bro.

I shared your injury update video with my Facebook friends. I just now saw it. I thought you made some good points though so I shared it.

Again, good luck with your recovery bro.

Thanks Jedd. I'll be posting a video journal about my recovery...I can't promise that it will always be interesting...lol...but hopefully it might help someone someday recovering from the same injury.

• Like 1

John would you mind if I posted your video on my site?

Short gripper workout tonight in between training my wife. I did a bunch of CCS and MMS closes left handed.....but the most encouraging thing was that I gave my right hand a shot and worked up slowly to an easy #2 close and a #2.5 attempt. The #2.5 would've required more horsepower to close than I felt comfortable giving...so I backed off. All in all, I'm very psyched.....5 days post-op and it's apparent that I'll be able to get back to right handed gripper work much sooner than expected.

Tomorrow is upper body day, so I'll be experimenting with what I might possibly be able to do that somehow involves my right side.

• Like 2