Newbie Beginning Program

wojo

No PR's this afternoon, just putting in the hard work to prep for WSH. My left arm is acting up again...the same issue that caused me to have to take a short lay-off in training a while back. I think maybe I tweaked something bending...or the only other thing I started up again recently is training with the Vulcan (?). I'm keeping a close eye on it so I it doesn't get worse, so all work today was done with my right hand only as setting the Vulcan already aggravates my left arm.

Vulvan V2: L13G, L14G, L15F, L15F, L15F

Rolling Thunder: 160 (plates only) x3,3,3,3,5, 135 (plates only) x15

Red Pony Clamp Key Pinch: 3x12

Sand Bucket Extensors: 2x25

TSG grippers first tonight (nothing exciting to report...just doing work).

Next up was reverse bending....two white nails, two green nails, one yellow nail and then tried my very first blue nail and got it! It actually felt a little easier than the yellow....maybe because I was more pumped for it or is it possible I'm more comfortable with a slightly shorter piece of steel? Afterwards I tried a red but I had nothing left...it's still straight as an arrow...lol. I've gotta pick myself up some grade 5 and grade 8 bolts and see what I can do with them.

I finished up with the ghetto stub, but bending took everything out of me...so my performance was piss poor.

Life is good...the PR's keep rollin' in....

TSG: I gave my left arm a break today by working on some CCS closes RH only. I worked up to a pretty easy #2.5 CCS close (new PR!) and then gave my Beef Builder Grand Master three good attempts...the closest being within roughly 1/8"...not too bad as I haven't worked CCS closes in a long time.

Rolling Thunder: Worked up to 198.25lbs RH (190 in plates plus apparatus) - new PR! I gave 203.25 a good try and got decent air, but no lockout.

IronMind Stub: Worked up to 59.75lbs RH (52.5 in plates plus apparatus) - new PR!

I did some reverse bending in between also...one white, one green and one yellow. My hands are pretty sore from bending two days ago, so the yellow actually hurt like hell. It's gonna take a little while for my hands to toughen up and get used to bending....but it's already pretty addictive. I wasn't planning on doing any bending today, but I figured I'd just bend a few.

Damn strong work! If those blue nails are feeling relatively easy look for some Tree Island 60d's as they're a nice step up and some 6" x 1/4" gr8 bolts. Once you get to getting the gr8's to about 50' in a couple of hits you'll be good for the red. That way you can save your reds as challenge bars and use the others as work stock.

TSG: I gave my left arm a break today by working on some CCS closes RH only. I worked up to a pretty easy #2.5 CCS close (new PR!) and then gave my Beef Builder Grand Master three good attempts...the closest being within roughly 1/8"...not too bad as I haven't worked CCS closes in a long time.

Rolling Thunder: Worked up to 198.25lbs RH (190 in plates plus apparatus) - new PR! I gave 203.25 a good try and got decent air, but no lockout.

IronMind Stub: Worked up to 59.75lbs RH (52.5 in plates plus apparatus) - new PR!

I did some reverse bending in between also...one white, one green and one yellow. My hands are pretty sore from bending two days ago, so the yellow actually hurt like hell. It's gonna take a little while for my hands to toughen up and get used to bending....but it's already pretty addictive. I wasn't planning on doing any bending today, but I figured I'd just bend a few.

Great work John. Keep killing it dude. I just got my IM hub and Rogue axle in the mail. Can't wait to start working on them.

Damn strong work! If those blue nails are feeling relatively easy look for some Tree Island 60d's as they're a nice step up and some 6" x 1/4" gr8 bolts. Once you get to getting the gr8's to about 50' in a couple of hits you'll be good for the red. That way you can save your reds as challenge bars and use the others as work stock.

Thanks for all the advice! I wouldn't say the blue was easy...but it seemed to go faster/easier than the yellow...and I think it was because I got all worked up beforehand...lol. I have a Fastenal store near me and already picked up some 1/4" x 6" Grade 5 and Grade 8 bolts. If my hands feel like they're up to it, I'm gonna give a Grade 5 a shot on Sunday and see what happens.

Great work John. Keep killing it dude. I just got my IM hub and Rogue axle in the mail. Can't wait to start working on them.

I love new toys.....you're gonna start killing that hub now that you can train with it!

Been feeling a little run down the past few days because I've been training really hard. Last night I was supposed to do my 5/3/1 deload squat workout, today was supposed to be my 5/3/1 deload close grip bench and tomorrow was supposed to be grip. I ended up combining all three workouts into one today so I was able to take a rest day yesterday and another tomorrow without skipping anything.

I did some reverse bending (cause it's my latest addiction)....two whites, two greens, two yellows and two timber ties...I was going to do like 10 timber ties for some volume...but my left thumb area is really sore from bending three workouts in a row. I figured I should slow down and let myself heal up fully between bending sessions so I don't hurt myself.

Rolling Thunder: Worked up to 165 (plates only) for 4 sets of 3 and on the 5th set I got 9 reps....quite an improvement over what I did less than a week ago (160x5). I feel my strength surging on this event now that I'm training it consistently.

Finished up with pony clamp key pinches and sand bucket extensors.

I really like the WSH prep program that I laid out for myself....just enough variety....but doing things consistently enough to see real progress. After WSH, I'll sit down and decide what the focus of my training will be for the next phase of my grip training.

I think everyone knows I meant "hub"....not "stub" when I wrote this....that would be a pretty badass stub lift....lol....

Nathaniel (anwnate) took the trip to train with me today to simulate the events for WSH next weekend. We ran through the Vulcan V2, reverse bending, Rolling Thunder and the stub along with a bunch of other stuff afterwards.

Some PR's today included my first 1/4" x 6" Grade 5 Bolt reverse bend...done in about 10 seconds. I tried a Grade 8 bolt afterwards, but I didn't really have anything left in the tank.

I was super impressed that Nate destroyed a Blue Nail his very first time trying any type of bending whatsoever. I tried to explain to him that it was probably due to my superior coaching skills, but he wasn't buying it. Seriously though, I see mangled red nails in his near future if he decides to keep bending.

It was great to get together with another really cool and really strong member of the GripBoard for a kick-ass training session today. We both asked each other a lot of questions and I know at least that I left with a bunch of new ideas to incorporate into my training.....and that's what it's all about....helping each other along towards our goals.....and drinking lots of Goose Island beer afterwards (did I just say that?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7OCb9kzjP0

• Like 4

John, I appreciate you sharing your little bit of heaven (kicking home gym) and having the patience to go over some very basic info I've been in real need of learning.

Ditto on you comments...a kick-ass time indeed!

I still think it's funny you were so pumped you chucked your grade 5 rather than retaining it as a keepsake.

Tonight was my deload deadlift day, so I decided to try everything D.O. on the axle. Even though my hands are (or should be) shot from yesterday, I worked up to 333x2, 343x1 and 348x1....all of which were new PR's for me D.O. on the IronMind Apollon's Axle.

• Like 1

I read about your injury during the WSH (it was on Jedd's site). I hope you recover fully soon!

Edited by jchap

I drove up to Wyalusing, PA for WSH this past Friday night for Saturday's WSH at Jedd's house. Jedd and his wife could not have been more hospitable and competing with Jedd, Brent, Mary Anne, Chez and Nate was a blast. We all had a great time during the competition and afterwards.

As far as the competition went, I was pretty happy with the results:

Vulcan V2 - I opened at L12 and got it, but I just could not get L13 closed. I've closed L14 several times at home with my Vulcan and the silver/black spring...so I'm guessing the spring was harder than mine.

Wrist Developer - I had never used it before and really had no idea what I would be capable of, so I'm happy to have closed L3 with the gold spring. It really put a lot of tension on my elbows and such, so I passed on my last few attempts. This device is brutal.

Adjustable Thick Bar - Again, I had never used this before, but I knew I should be over 200lbs based on my Rolling Thunder numbers. I got 221.7lbs and then injured my right bicep on my next attempt. I still not sure of the extent of the injury, but when it happened it felt like the strands of a rope being pulled apart. I've had that sensation several times before when I tore muscles in my chest and thigh. I seem to have full range of motion and can still do things like drink out of a coffee cup and brush my teeth, etc., although my lower bicep looks a bit "deformed" and I have significant bruising...not on my bicep but on my forearm, which would indicate a torn or partially torn bicep tendon I would think. The weird thing is that the pain is definitely in my bicep and not in my forearm where the bruise is. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to get a referral to see an orthopedist so I know what I'm dealing with and how best to rehab it.

Stub - I had never used the actual stub either...but I've been practicing with a ghetto version. I did this event left handed and finished with 39.38lbs. My right hand is my stronger hand, but not by much, so I'm happy with the result.

Overall, I finished 23rd out of 70 people....I guess being in the top 20 would've been cool because it would've qualified me for nationals, but I can't complain being that it was my first grip contest.

I rested yesterday and skipped my planned bench workout, but I was back at it tonight. I had to skip my scheduled deadlift workout, but I was able to do SSB good mornings, 45 degree hypers, incline sit-ups and I tested my arm out a bit and was able to do tricep rope pushdowns without any issues. I think I'll still be able to do gripper work with my right hand...but I'll know more during tomorrow's grip workout.

Having an injury always sucks, but I've been here many times before and I'm going to work through it and come out the other side even stronger.

• Like 2

Great having you up here my man. Heal quick.

I read about your injury during the WSH (it was on Jedd's site). I hope you recover fully soon!

keep us informed about the injury and get well soon.

Great having you up here my man. Heal quick.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! I'm seeing the orthopedist next Monday, so I'll know more then.

I worked grippers today CCS closes, but it's really hard to give it your all while not having any isometric contraction of your bicep...so I could only do so much. I did some high rep sets of pony clamp pinches and finished with sand bucket extensors. I did some standing presses with the bar ahead of my pressing workout tomorrow to feel things out and I'm hopeful.

Pretty colors....

RightBicep82312.jpg

Looks like a paint by numbers. Heal up quick buddy.

Holy cow. By that bruising might be a muscle tear and not a tendon tear? Hope you heal up soon John.

Well...it looks like I'll be doing a lot of no set left handed gripper closes for a while in the near future. The orthopedist is confident that the MRI is going to confirm a full distal biceps tendon rupture. I'm leaning towards getting surgery to repair it....I just haven't fully committed to the idea yet.

Some thoughts on my injury....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIsCmmNs3As

Thank you for the video John. I wish you a speedy recovery bro. Keep in touch with us with what you're doing to work around the healing process. I take it the LH will get alot of attention.