Pat's Training Log

patrickmeniru

08/05/2013

10 minute run

4 x 10 pull-ups w/20kg (latter sets had to drop down for a few seconds break to complete the 10 reps)

2 x 10 chins w/20kg

6 x 15 dips w/20kg

Some core work, hanging leg raises, ab wheel, crunches.

Right wrist is giving me pain at the moment so I can't practice HS or PL work, which is frustrating, but hopefully with some mobility work and rest it will sort itself out.

Don't normally do as much volume with the pull-ups, so will be interested to see how I feel tomorrow. Ultimately I'd like to hit 5 sets of 10 clean reps w/20kg. Noticed my right arm was pulling harder than my left - really need to focus on the left arm contraction to try and rectify this.

Nice to see another "foundationer". Where in the progression are you?

I'm a mixed bag, some of the exercises like RC and FL I've mastered F1, whereas others like the SLS I'm struggling with the cossack squat! The major thing I've found is that my mobility is really lacking all around. Exercises like the SLS and the SL I can actually perform, but I can't do all the progressions so must have weaknesses/mobility issues. The other thing I struggle with is the endurance aspect, I'm not used to performing things for 60 seconds! The hollow body rocks are absolutely brutal on the abs, the 5th set feels like its actually tearing them apart - which is great because I struggle to find exercises that give that sensation for the core.

I haven't actually started the programme properly yet, I'm studying for finals so don't have time - but am planning to start over the summer when I finish. It will be quite depressing to start from scratch - I fear I'll lose a lot of strength in certain areas but hopefully will be more than worth it in the long run. You got any experience with Handstand One? I'm thinking of buying that before I get F2, because I'd like to have mastery of all of F1 before I think about moving on, and my HS is ugly as hell atm.

Ok, Im sure you will benifit to start from scratch after your finals. Maybe you can still work some things you do now to keep it up. What I found great about the program is it covers your weaknesses and correct them. I had real problems with some of the im's first time tryingthem but now some weeks later I start to like them and I feel great improvement. At first I thought the program looked easy, but the non-rest periods between sets and like you say endurance work really is harder than it looks.

Im also thinking of buying Handstand One, so I cant tell. I have though already bought the F2 just out of curiousity...hehe.

I'm a mixed bag, some of the exercises like RC and FL I've mastered F1, whereas others like the SLS I'm struggling with the cossack squat! The major thing I've found is that my mobility is really lacking all around. Exercises like the SLS and the SL I can actually perform, but I can't do all the progressions so must have weaknesses/mobility issues. The other thing I struggle with is the endurance aspect, I'm not used to performing things for 60 seconds! The hollow body rocks are absolutely brutal on the abs, the 5th set feels like its actually tearing them apart - which is great because I struggle to find exercises that give that sensation for the core.

I haven't actually started the programme properly yet, I'm studying for finals so don't have time - but am planning to start over the summer when I finish. It will be quite depressing to start from scratch - I fear I'll lose a lot of strength in certain areas but hopefully will be more than worth it in the long run. You got any experience with Handstand One? I'm thinking of buying that before I get F2, because I'd like to have mastery of all of F1 before I think about moving on, and my HS is ugly as hell atm.

Ok, Im sure you will benifit to start from scratch after your finals. Maybe you can still work some things you do now to keep it up. What I found great about the program is it covers your weaknesses and correct them. I had real problems with some of the im's first time tryingthem but now some weeks later I start to like them and I feel great improvement. At first I thought the program looked easy, but the non-rest periods between sets and like you say endurance work really is harder than it looks.

Im also thinking of buying Handstand One, so I cant tell. I have though already bought the F2 just out of curiousity...hehe.

Nice, how are you doing with F1 in terms of progressions? Oh and just out of interest, how much harder are the F2 final progression stages?

Workout today consisted of:

Endurance work:

Plus

4 x 50 bodyweight squats

8 x 5 pull-ups (to make a nice round 100 for the workout)

1 x 15 chins (I need to work pull-ups more, so much stronger chinning)

10 x 5 reps each hand #1 TNS - no rest between sets, just switching from hand to hand

10 minute jog

Edited by PatrickMeniru

Nice, how are you doing with F1 in terms of progressions? Oh and just out of interest, how much harder are the F2 final progression stages?

Workout today consisted of:

Endurance work:

Plus

4 x 50 bodyweight squats

8 x 5 pull-ups (to make a nice round 100 for the workout)

1 x 15 chins (I need to work pull-ups more, so much stronger chinning)

10 x 5 reps each hand #1 TNS - no rest between sets, just switching from hand to hand

10 minute jog

Im at: FL/PE2 sPL/PE2 HBP/PE2 RC/PE3 MN/PE1 SL/PE1 SLS/PE2

So still a long way to go :)

F2 I cant really say as it well above my current strength level, but some Pe's looks "quite" easy and some looks very tough....the Im-work seems to ramp up on some of the skills to be more strength oriented which will make the Pe even harder.

Nice, I can't wait to get started properly. Last exam on the 31st! If the Im's get more physically demanding from an exertion standpoint then I can imagine that really upping the intensity of the whole workout - I'm nowhere near ready for the kind of volume needed for a full Pe4/5 workout yet, let alone F2. Hopefully I'll gain endurance fairly quickly, as I used to do a lot of endurance strength work when I competed in track and field.

15/05/2013

F1 work, FL, SL, PL and MN progressions

25 minute run.

17/05/2013

1 x 10 cleans 65kg

3 x 10 cleans 75kg

3 x 6 squats 95kg

2 x 5 wide pull-ups w/20kg

1 x 6 dips w/20kg

1 x 1 neutral chin w/40kg

1 x 5 dips w/40kg

1 x 1 neutral chin w/50kg

4 x 4 dips w/50kg

2 x 3 neutral chins w/50kg

1 x 3 chins w/50kg

3 x 5 max height jumps w/two 20kg dumbbells

1 x 8 body levers

2 x 6 hanging leg raises

3 x 5 one arm dumbbell press 20kg

2 x 5 second one arm hangs w/40kg

Planning to build up strength and endurance in the one arm hangs until I can do 10 seconds with bodyweight additionally. Hoping that it will have some carryover to OAC in terms of allowing CNS to max out without worrying about grip.

Wrist still bothering me, hence no HS work. Really hoping that it will sort itself out by the time I finish exams in two weeks.

1 x 8 MU

1 x 10 wide pull-ups

2 x 6 wide pull-ups w/20kg

2 x 4 wide pull-ups w/30kg

1 x 4 chins w/45kg

2 x 3 chins w/45kg

(Each sets of pull-ups/chins accompanied by 6 dips with the same weight)

2 x 5 seconds BL

2 x 6 one arm upright cable rows w/54kg

4 x 6 dumbbell overhead press w/20kg

3 x 6 body levers

3 x 6 hanging leg raises

1 x 10 decline crunches w/8kg medicine ball

2 x 6 tricep push-downs w/stack (100kg I think)

Absolutely zero exercise in the past few days, wrist is still not feeling any better though and is starting to be a major worry. Exams finish Friday, cannot wait to be able to start training again.

Finals done! Can start training again. Have quite a few social activities lined up (getting drunk) for the next 2 weeks, after that will start F1 properly. Until then just a mix of things.

31/05/2013

4 x 6 wide grip pull ups w/20kg

3 x 5 chins w/30kg

4 x 10 dips w/20kg

3 x 8 dips w/30kg

2 x 10 wide grip pull-ups

2 x 10 dips for speed

2 x 5 body levers

3 x 5 hanging leg raises

2 x 10 oblique crunches

3 x 4 pistols

2 x 10 chins

2 x 10 dips

2 x 10 bodyweight rows for mid-back

2 x 10 military press, light weight

3 x 6 kettlebell press w/24kg

Some hamstring work, still unable to do a full GHR after tearing my left hamstring and tweaking my right one earlier this year. 3 x 10 GHR is a goal for the end of this summer. Should be achievable. Have neglected legs for too long, so hope to start rectifying this soon. Want to hit 200kg deadlift for a triple and improve my squatting. Also want to get back some jumping/sprinting ability.

03/06/2013

1 x 6 squats 70kg

1 x 6 squats 100kg

1 x 4 squats 120kg

1 x 3 squats 140kg

1 x 2 squats 150kg

Checked form, and realised that I wasn't quite making parallel so dropped the weight.

2 x 3 squats 120kg

1 x 2 DO deadlift 80kg

1 x 1 DO deadlift 120kg

1 x 1 DO deadlift 140kg

4 x 1 mixed grip deadlift 160kg

(Deadlift has got much weaker since last summer when I was hitting 160kg DO for reps)

Some sprints and standing jumps.

OAC work, finger assists. Left elbow started feeling slightly sore so stopped left arm work.
4 x 1 negatives right arm

1 x 6 middle finger assited OACs

Some core work, mix of hanging leg raises, crunches and ab-wheel.

Grippers, lots of #2.5 singles TNS both hands.

I'm interested to find out what all these acronyms mean. I got the Gymnastic Body book and will read it before the year's end.

I'm interested to find out what all these acronyms mean. I got the Gymnastic Body book and will read it before the year's end.

Ah okay - it's a good read, lots of interesting stuff in there. I've never actually tried the Solid State Cycle (SSC) he recommends, but it makes sense for straight arm work, gives the connective tissues time to adjust. Off the top of my head some of the acronyms I use are:

FL - Front Lever

BL - Back Lever

PL - Planche

HeSPU - Headstand Pushup (a limited ROM handstand pushup)

HS - Handstand

MU - Muscle Up

GHR - Glute Ham Raise

DO - Double Overhand

ROM - Range Of Motion

OAC - One Arm Chin

Edited by PatrickMeniru

04/06/2013

15 minute jog

5 x 10 swinging ring dips

3 x 20 support swings

5 x 10 hanging leg raises

Played tennis for 2 hours

Edited by PatrickMeniru

• 3 weeks later...

Have been on a break from training after exams, celebrating and just relaxing. Have been putting off getting back on track with training, am starting the Foundation series by Coach Sommer.

For those unfamiliar with the foundation series, PE = preparatory exercise, and iM = integrated mobility

SLS = single leg squat

RC = rope climb

MN = manna

SL = side lever (flag)

HBP = hollow back press (90 degree pushup)

Today and yesterday I went through all of the exercises, doing the mastery workout for PE1 and PE1>iM. Thankfully there were no failures, not sure my ego could take it, although some of the exercises were a lot more challenging than I had anticipated, particularly the endurance aspect.

Tomorrow and Saturday I'll run through the mastery workouts for PE2 and PE2>iM, the only one that I expect to fail is the SL PE2, because of an issue with endurance - although I might be able to tough it out. I might also fail the SLS PE2 because of a lack of mobility. I would be surprised to fail any of the others, but one thing that gymnastics training has taught me to this point is that it's better to be humble and start small rather than jump ahead and get injured.

Edited by PatrickMeniru

In the last two days I completed the PE2 and PE2>iM mastery workouts, much to my surprise I didn't fail any of them! Rest day today, and then on to PE3>iM tomorrow and the following day. Not expecting to fail any of the PE3 elements, although the SLS variation will test my flexibility and could be problematic.

Have been on a couple of runs, on of around 2km, and another of 5.5km.

PE3 and PE3>iM complete. Tomorrow and Thursday I will attempt the mastery of PE4 and PE4>iM. Don't expect to fail on any of the exercises.

Have been doing some running and a few pull-ups to supplement the Foundation work.

Good work with F1. Do you have any routine for improving flexibility for arch body hold(sl/pe1)? I have difficulties raising legs as high as in the video. I see improvement, but complimentary mobility exersices could speed up progress.

This thread has me frequently confused but that's just because I'm not part of the cool kids club... Yet.

Anyways good job with the obvious success and keep It going.

Yes, most likely by year's end.

I'm cycling Starting Strengh for the second time now, and will also do 531 for a few months after that.

I have the gymnastic bodies book, but haven't read it quite yet. Are there videos too, it sounds?

Yes, there are videos and photos to each exersice and a very sound progression to follow. But gymnastic bodies book and Foundations series arent the same thing. The foundation is definetely more complete IMO.

Ok, I was under the impression that it was a series.

Is it called the Gymnastic Foundation Series?

I'll look into it.

Ok, I was under the impression that it was a series.

Is it called the Gymnastic Foundation Series?

I'll look into it.

Sorry for all the abbreviations - I'm not trying to be deliberately cryptic, it's just that some of the exercises are a bit unconventional and hard to describe, but I'd be happy to try and talk you through some of them if you wanted.

As far as the arch body holds go, I'm not sure about how to improve mobility of the legs greatly, we used to do it at athletics all the time with medicine balls between our feet so I've had a lot of practice. I find that holding my breath helps keep my chest inflated and increase my arch - the only trouble is that by only taking a few breaths during the 60s you increase the likelihood of lactic build-up. I would suggest that as long as you're holding the position at the extreme of your ROM, ie legs as high as you can lift them, then you're getting the full benefit of the exercise and as your glutes get stronger in that position you might find you can lift a bit higher. Maybe you could try with a medicine ball between your feet as a way to target the hamstrings and glues a bit? Sorry i can't be of more assistance.

Today finished off PE4 and PE4>iM, found the SL variations quite tough, but the SLS, HBP, RC and MN very straightforward. FL was somewhere in the middle.

Also decided to see where my deadlift was at, having not tried it for a while with an Oly bar. Managed 200kg for a comfortable double - which is a PB :) should be good for 210kg for a single at least, maybe 220kg with chalk. Would like to hit 200kg x 5 by the end of summer (September).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been a long time since I posted anything on here, a reflection of the fact I've really fallen off with my training of late due to sheer laziness.

Got back into the gym yesterday:

Ran to the gym, approx 1 mile.

2 x 10 squats 60kg

1 x 10 squats 80kg

4 x 6 squats 100kg

1 x 10 squat jumps

1 x 20 split bounces

1 x 10 burpees

1 x 10 walking lunges

3 x 10 pull-ups

3 x 10 dips

3 x 10 pushups

Ran home.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't been keeping up with posting my workouts here, no major news to report - have been working on Olympic squat form with a knowledgeable friend, no major new achievements. Wrist is starting to feel better so handstand practice will resume soon :)

Cycled 20 miles into a stiff headwind yesterday took about 80 minutes. Have been running and working out fairly regularly and generally getting back into shape after a lax few months.