Road To 1200

KRC

Squat: 4/4/5 @ 295

OHP: 3x3 @ 140

PC: 3x3 @ 145

FG DO DL: 1x5 @ 180

TSG Neg: 4x1 @ GHP 7 RH/IM 2.5 LH

TSG OC: 4x6s Filed IM 2 RH/BBM LH

That GHP is TOUGH. I think I need to buy a 6 to feel how smooth these babies are that everyone talks about. Got to inside parallel twice. About the same as my 159lb #3 :whacked

Tie Rep-PR for squats at 295 (13 total), but at 10lbs lighter BW. Back to 300 on Monday.

GHPs feel smooth yet tougher than they rate. Go figure. Great squatin man!

Thanks, man. Only 5 more full training sessions until the meet taper starts. Balls out until then!

Upper back stuff

2HP: 9x1 @ 135

1x18 @ 95 w/Med-Heavy Band

NH Rear: 3x15 @ 30

NH Side: 3x15 @ 15

Formulator WC: 4x15, 1x10 @ 12.5

FRWC: 4x15, 1x10 @ 6.25

Squat: 1x1 @ 300

Tweaked my back in the same spot again, set 1 rep 1 shrug.gif

Didn't try to power through it like last time and just packed up and left right after I started to feel it happening. It doesn't feel too bad and I think I'll be ok for the meet, but still nowhere near where I could/should be.

Something's not right. I have back problems that precede my lifting-induced back problems but this is getting ridiculous. This is somewhere around 6-8 lower back muscle strains in two years. Gotta sack up and make hip mobility and core strength a daily responsibility.

TSG: up to 4 attempts at BBGM RH and 4 attempts BBM 5/8" LH. All within 2-3 mm.

Back is healing quickly. Light recovery stuff tomorrow and maybe a heavy-ish set next week. I'm still planning on salvaging something at this meet, even if at or near previous PR's. Just need to get the first meet under my belt and move on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuHwglZJGCM

Got full lockout with several second hold 2 seconds after stopping filming right, and a little air left. So pumped to hit these f***ers hard. Planning on getting after it the Monday after the PL meet.

Weighed them each a few times and the smaller came in between 35.4 and 36.0, and the bigger between 42.8 and 43.2.

Thanks Bobby!!

:rock Hell yeah dude! Sweet looking blobs. Do they say USA on the bottoms? Once you get some use on them the chalk will really start to hold well and they'll feel stickier. You can tie weight or use magnets to attach more weight to progress up, or if you want the 40# I can get that out to ya. Awesome man! Blobs are the shit! And IMO they are easily worked around other grip training routines. I never found them to sabatoge other grip work.

Just checked, no USA on the bottom. What's the difference between USA-stamped and non-stamped?

Did 3 negatives with iM 3 RH and IM 2.5 RH (couldn't set the BBGM) with some OC's. Gave the 35lber a few pulls and got full lockouts or partials each time RH and a small hop LH.

Daniel, thanks for offering the 40 and I think I may take you up on the offer to borrow it in the near future, but I plan on starting Blob KTA after the lifting meet and even though I can fully lockout the 35 RH, it's still too heavy a blob for what the program requires. So If you're willing I'd love to drive out and pick up the 30 to borrow if you can live without it for about a month :)

Since that's probably the last squeeze I'll give that 159lb #3, some pics:

BBGM RH, 4.29.12

Picture1-2.png

IM #3 RH, 4.29.12

Picture2-1.png

IM #3 RH, August 2011

Picture4.png

IM 2.5 LH, 4.29.12

Picture3-1.png

Even though that previous 3 attempt was 8 months ago, I've only really squeezed that 3 a handful of times, and all of those squeezes in the last 2 months. Still a long way to go but progress is progress.

Squat: 5x1 @ 225

Bench: 5x1 @ 225 w/pause

Deadlift: 5x1 @ 225

Pull Ups: 10/7/4/4/4 w/blue band

First time benching with a pause--this will take some getting used to. The leg drive isn't as immediate or effective this way vs. touch and go, but I'll be doing singles here on out until the meet so it should get better.

Back feels ok. Actually the bench aggravated it the most. Weight felt very light for squat and deadlift, but it was a good weight to get some singles in after a (very immobile) week off.

Dude, those blobs are fatmans, and so must be the ones I have too. Non-USA stamp on # side blobs means fatman, or 1st generation. If they had USA then they are 2nd gen and those blobs are easier. the ones I got were york side so I couldnt verify. Sweet dude. You got some moneys worth bro. And good challenges too.

Good luck at the meet bro.

Mobility work

Reverse Hyper: 5x10 @ 50

Pull Ups Ladder: 1 rep, rest 10 seconds/2 reps, rest 20... to 5 reps and then another ME set of 4 all w/blue band. Way tougher than I thought.

Adam Glass Dumbbell Challenge:

Max Snatch: 60 LH, 75 RH

Max Clean: 75 LH, 90 RH

Max DL: 95 LH, 110 RH

Max DL Reps 2 Min: 15 @ 80 lbs

This was awesome. Most fun I've had in the gym in a while. All reps done with Fat Gripz. Back was by far the limiting factor on the max reps set, was good for a lot more in terms of how my hands felt. Also, I went for 115 after getting 110 on the third attempt, and failed at about 6 inches. So I put my wrist all the way up against the inside of the dumbbell and got it, pretty easily, too. I suppose lifting it this way doesn't do me any favors for a max DO axle DL in a comp though, so I'll keep my wrists free from the sides... unless I need an occasional ego boost :)

I'm going to be doing blob KTA throughout June but I'll see how running this once a week goes, and then once KTA is over, I'll hit this hard. Maybe a high-rep DB row day, a day of DO barbell triples or something, and then a day doing the AGDC.

Possible goals for the end of summer on this: Snatch 90/100, Clean 115/125, DL 140/150?

Dude, those blobs are fatmans, and so must be the ones I have too. Non-USA stamp on # side blobs means fatman, or 1st generation. If they had USA then they are 2nd gen and those blobs are easier. the ones I got were york side so I couldnt verify. Sweet dude. You got some moneys worth bro. And good challenges too.

Good luck at the meet bro.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but both of the blobs are YORK side...

I'm not going to the meet with super high hopes due to how things have gone lately, but this is a blessing in disguise as this is my first meet; almost no pressure, no specific numbers I'm looking for anymore, I just get to go in, compete and be better for the experience.

yeah those are both fatmans if they don't have the USA stamp on the bottom. They are much harder than the 2nd gen USA stamped ones. Good job man.

Squat: 4x1 @ 245

OHP: 2 doubles and a set of 5 @ 135

Pull Ups: 3x2 Wide grip OH, 3x2 Underhand pinkies touching, 3x2 Wide grip OH

Side Planks: 3x30s

Everything about the squat feels fine except getting back to the rack position after completing a rep (where I tweaked the back twice). I think my chest must be dipping slightly once I get out of the hole b/c unracking and standing prior to the rep (i.e. theoretically the same position you end the rep in) is totally pain free.

Mobility stuff

Reverse Hyper: 5x10 @ 60

Pull Ups: 9x3 Wide grip OH w/blue band

Planks: 3x30 seconds

FG DB DL: a few inches of air x4 @ 115 RH

halfway to lockout x1 @ 100 LH

Got a SM, another GM and a GHP6 in the mail today after selling my 2.5, 3 and 4.

SM is way easier than I thought--it was supposed to be my goal gripper for LH but I shut it second try (with pinky coming off the edge). Probably around 125+ max.

The other GM is a little wider than the one I have and I think is probably right around 145 which is what i was hoping for.

The GHP is a little harder to tell RGC wise, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was right at 135, where the rest of them are ending up, if not less. Missed by a few hairs RH and will get it with a proper warm up soon. Because of the spread and I guess feel of the grippers, the set is what gives me trouble more than the poundage. This is what I was looking for though; grippers in my immediate goal range (135-150) that are WIDE so that I can get used to max attempts where the set matters a lot.

Finished a decent workout today considering my back -- hit 245 bench w/commands and almost got 265 touch and go -- only to go back to my locker and see an email from the meet director saying the meet in 2 weeks is cancelled due to only 9 people signing up ........

This is good and bad--I'll be able to start my weightloss leading to the meet in October, start my new PL programming and conditioning programming, and generally move on from what has been a pretty lousy 6 weeks training wise. Good that I don't have to take what would amount to token lifts in the squat and deadlift and can really go for a PR total.

bad only b/c of all the mental hoops I put myself through thinking about the meet the last six weeks, lol.

Ah well, I'll get the next one that comes around.

Got a SM, another GM and a GHP6 in the mail today after selling my 2.5, 3 and 4.

SM is way easier than I thought--it was supposed to be my goal gripper for LH but I shut it second try (with pinky coming off the edge). Probably around 125+ max.

The other GM is a little wider than the one I have and I think is probably right around 145 which is what i was hoping for.

The GHP is a little harder to tell RGC wise, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was right at 135, where the rest of them are ending up, if not less. Missed by a few hairs RH and will get it with a proper warm up soon. Because of the spread and I guess feel of the grippers, the set is what gives me trouble more than the poundage. This is what I was looking for though; grippers in my immediate goal range (135-150) that are WIDE so that I can get used to max attempts where the set matters a lot.

I am with you on the GHP 6. Mine has not been rated, but I assume it is similar to the others that are rating at 135-136. However, it "feels" much harder than that. It feels harder than my 145# rated GNC 250, which is very narrow.

I am with you on the GHP 6. Mine has not been rated, but I assume it is similar to the others that are rating at 135-136. However, it "feels" much harder than that. It feels harder than my 145# rated GNC 250, which is very narrow.

Yeah man they're tricky. Hows your training going?

Yeah man they're tricky. Hows your training going?

My gripper training has been going well. Last Saturday I closed my BBGM for the first time. I haven't had it rated yet. I have found that one volume day, one negatives day, and one max singles day each week works well for me. I think at some point I will try RRBT again, when I really need it to push through a sticking point to accomplish a goal.

The rest of my training is going decent. As I get older (I'm 37) I find that I really need to take time and rehab minor injuries instead of try to push through them. This saves time and pain in the long run, but is frustrating when it happens. It looks like you are coming back from a back injury. I had some SI joint pain and decided I needed to address it before it got unbearable. Now my squats are back to 345# for sets of 5. It was at 405# for fives before the detour. Now that my back is on the mend, I dinged up my shoulder playing too much baseball with my sons. So, I need to take some time to rehab that...

I hope you continue to progress.

OHP: 5x120

DB OHP: 3x10 @ 40s

PB Pull Ups: 8/5/4/4/4 @ Blue Band

5 minutes of Turkish Get Ups @ 16kg

Side Planks: 3x30 seconds

My gripper training has been going well. Last Saturday I closed my BBGM for the first time. I haven't had it rated yet. I have found that one volume day, one negatives day, and one max singles day each week works well for me. I think at some point I will try RRBT again, when I really need it to push through a sticking point to accomplish a goal.

The rest of my training is going decent. As I get older (I'm 37) I find that I really need to take time and rehab minor injuries instead of try to push through them. This saves time and pain in the long run, but is frustrating when it happens. It looks like you are coming back from a back injury. I had some SI joint pain and decided I needed to address it before it got unbearable. Now my squats are back to 345# for sets of 5. It was at 405# for fives before the detour. Now that my back is on the mend, I dinged up my shoulder playing too much baseball with my sons. So, I need to take some time to rehab that...

I hope you continue to progress.

Thanks Jchap. I hear you about letting injuries heal. Everytime this happens to my back I start back sooner than I should basically to avoid the frustration of rehabbing and taking things slowly. I'm only 30, but over the last 2 years I've noticed that my body is definitely dictating how rehab goes these days, not my mind.

The goal now is to increase conditioning, decrease bodyfat and increase quantity and quality of movement to pre-empt a lot of this garbage that's been responsible for the two steps forward one step back phenomenon that is so frustrating. Gonna stick with Wendler's 531 conditioning template for the time being. Wanted to do Texas Method or similar intermediate program, but I'm putting a premium on short, intense sessions, a lot of conditioning and recovery, and 531 is tailor-made for that.

Those are some good squats man. How long have you been lifting? What kind of training?

DL: 5x280

Rev Hyp: 3x10 @ 50

PB PU: 1rep/10s rest, 2rep/20s rest... 5 reps + 1 set of 4 w/blue band

KB OA Swings: 12 minutes @ 16kg

Ass and hams are destroyed. Been a long time since I did anything with KB's, but combined with AM walks w/a weighted vest, they're going to be my main source of conditioning for the next few months.

DL felt very light and the back felt fine throughout warmups and only a little stressed during the main set.

Hi Kevin,

I have done both Texas Method and 531 several times each. I think that for your goals right now, you are right to go with 531. Once you have addressed your "weaknesses" so to speak, and you are ramping up for a powerlifting meet, you might benefit faster from Texas Method.

I have been lifting weights in some form since an early teenager. I've been through different periods of: more running ,no running, lots of conditioning, no conditioning, heavy lifting, lighter lifting, gaining weight, cutting bodyfat, etc. I am not saying I've tried it all because there is so much out there. Which is great if you view this as a lifelong pursuit. Anyway, I think grip training is a great add-on that, among its physical benefits, keeps training fresh and fun.