Routine Advice

Mikey Boy

Hi all

Been hovering on the forum for a while, just thought i would pick your collective brains for advice on my routine.

I'm 5 foot 11 195 lbs been doing mma and k/bells for many years. Got into heavy lifting bout 10 mths ago and have made good progress (168 lbs at start).

My current routine is

Low bar squat 4 sets of 3 reps

Power shrugs 3 sets of 5

Hand and thigh lift 2 sets of 10

overhead press 4 sets of 5

Every workout i alternate between farmers walks and kettlebell swings for strength cardio and one set of wrist roller from a 15 foot high platform

I carry a set of 210 lb grippers that i close throughout the day. I do this workout every other day for the most part.

My goals are to have as high a level of grappling strength as possible without carrying to much excess bulk. Any pointers or advice to assist with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

I have done some wrestling in the past, and we would climb up and down ropes with just our hands, and also do Tug-of-war against each other but only holding on the rope with your hands. I think that those workouts built a good base of hand strength for me when I was younger. We would do that stuff once or twice a week, 5 sets of climbing, and as many tug-of-wars as you could do after the climb...just an idea. As far as your lifting goes, your routine sounds pretty productive, I allways liked high-pulls, power cleans, and Deadlifts, but again, these are just ideas. Good luck with your training!!

Thanks Frank

I also mix in some high rep double kettlebell clean and jerks. Great for cardio and grip endurance, not so great for raw power. Have had similar experience with club swinging and strand pulling. I enjoy all of them, trouble is you cant do everything and get results, spreading yourself too thin. One thing i've noticed is my ground strength is going up the more hand and thighs lifts that i do. a big pay off for a small movement. The old timers seemed to be keen on this too.

I think you need more "back of the body" in your routine. Chins are a good exercise without the spinal compression of say deadlifts. Or deadlifts of course are good...no they can be great. ;)

Thanks wannagrip. used to do loads of chins but pulled a muscle under my armpit that always flares up if i do them. are one hand rows a good substitute? if so strict or 'kroc' style?