NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Hey guys,

I was a member of another grip site a while back and have resurrected myself to grip work after having to take a break for awhile.

I'm 28, 6'01", 180 and from northeast Iowa. Been doing grip for about a total of one year and love every minute of it. It was quite an eye opener to come here and see how elite some of the members are. It's good 'cause it sets the bar even higher for me.

Currently, I'm working on closing my #3 and bending a Red, among other future goals. I only work TNS and TBC & negs on goal grippers. My #3 has just about a 3" spread and I can pretty easily TBC it and about 1/4" away from TNS. Just ordered another 3 and a 3.5, waiting for them.

Got a 1/4" Grade 8 to 50 degrees on my last workout (DO). Bending has been coming along well. Looked over the "records" and "achievments" section and set some more goals for the next 1-2 years.

Anyway, it's good to be here, I know it's great company.

Rudedawg

My name is Robbie. I'm 18 years old, 6', and weigh 180. I've been doing grip for a year now. My PB's are 2.5 close with right. #2 close 8 times with left. I am also into weightlifting. My goals for 2008 are to close the #3 with both hands, and to pinch the blob.

Hi, I'm David.

I'm 32 years old and living in San Diego. I'm 5'7" and 155# -- yeah, I'm a little guy. I've done strength training programs off and on since I was 15 and even spent a little time as a personal trainer, so I know the basics of muscle mechanics and development. I'm here because very little attention seems to be paid in mainstream literature and training programs to the importance of grip, wrist and forearm strength. The general consensus seems to be "your forearms will get bigger and your grip strength will improve through exercising other muscle groups". A statement I have not found to be true for many individuals, including myself.

As someone whose limiting factor in many exercises is grip strength-- I could probably squat a good deal for my size and weight were it not for the fact that my grip slips after just 6 reps at 155# (and no, I'd rather not use straps-- that's cheating!)-- I'm interested in learning more about techniques to improve my grip. I'm familiar with the common exercises (using grip devices, powerball, wrist curls, reverse curls, zottman curls, pinches and a few others) but I'd like to add more to my repertoire. I also have no idea how to structure a program in terms of frequency, intensity and duration. At present, I do wrist, forearm or hand strength exercises after my regular workouts-- usually 3 to 4 times a week, doing 2 - 4 exercises. I've seen very little improvement over the years and.

I'll be lurking around and browsing posts to get as much info as possible and would also appreciate any direct responses with information on resources that will help me structure a program that will result in stronger grip and thicker wrists and forearms and will help protect against injury (I should mention that I suffer from overuse tendinitis and ganglion cysts as a result of frequent typing at work. I think that poor wrist strength is the a major factor in this).

Thanks,

David

Hello, I'm Anders. I'm about to turn 25 and live in a suburb of Stockholm, Sweden. I began weight training while studying in Japan, had a year off due to lack of motivation and a good, cheap gym, but picked it up again when I moved to Stockholm in August last year.

So far I haven't really paid much attention to grip, but recently I began reading up about it after noticing how much I am limited in deadlifts (my grip fails at 250) and even cable rows by my grip losing out before the muscles I actually target. I don't want to start using those straps, so instead I think it's about time I get a grip.

I'm ordering a couple beginner's grippers and will start my training soon, and am very much looking forward not only to having an easier time at the gym but also in daily life. I was recommended this board through a Swedish weight lifting board, and it really seems to be a great collection of information and inspiration.

Peace,

Anders

Welcome Aboard Everyone!!! :rock

My name's Ryan. I'm good at what I do. 'Nuff said.

What is it that you do?

Welcome everyone!

That sounds like an awefully cocky attitude, what do you "do"?

Welcome everyone!

That sounds like an awefully cocky attitude, what do you "do"?

A little of this, a little of that. I'm a nobody; don't mind me.

A little of this, a little of that. I'm a nobody; don't mind me.

Hmmm, so your either making a HUGE understatement or a HUGE overstatement. The name sounds familiar though, you wouldn't happen to be on Marunde-Muscle would ya?

Hey,

My name is Jodey (yes I am a Guy, Thanks ma) and I have been working out on and off for about 9 yrs. I am 6' 261lb not all muscle but not all fat either. I used to be a PT and have done MMA, BJJ and other Martial arts for about 14 yrs on and off.

I trained the most/hardest out of Hackneys Combat in Roselle Illinois (4yrs).

My co worker (BB Gun) got me into nail bending and grip training. My first day I bent a Blue, Yellow several nails and a bolt with leather wraps I cant put more than a kink in a red through :angry: I was sore for 3 days after.

My goal is to inprove strengh and have fun.

Now listen here Jodey, putting a kink in a red is no small feat!!!

Welcome guys!!!

I second that! Great Job!! Welcome to the addiction!! :rock

whats up fellas? I've really recently got into grip training due to the lack of hand wrist control I've been having in armwrestling. I have to say, though I am SOLD on grip training, Its a blast, and now I just want to be the best. I'm 5'8 175 w/ 7 1/2 hand. I have been working on 1 handed pull-ups, some pinch grip, and coc#2(real close). Glad to be here, and look fwd to applying all the info I can take from here to have a world class grip. I have also been in the Navy 8 years as an aircraft mechanic. I can say that with grip training it is something that I can do wherever I may be.

Hey Guys,

I'm Paul No. 5'9 215lbs. Right now I'm bending and leveraging because it's a fun way to keep your upper body in shape. I'm FAR from being strong yet but I'm having good fun. I've got some PVC pipe I practice bending on. It's mostly iso. Same with my "almost" nail bends. I also have a grip ball to train with. I'm doing some stuff with a 15lb sledge as well. Keep choking down. Hope to lever it at the bottom one day. I'm not goal obsessed but would of course like to be stronger. It's real fun!

Hi everybody. My name is Joe, I'm 21 years old, 5'10" and 230 lbs and from Illinois. I'm a powerlifter and a strongman, and am also currently an intern strength and conditioning coach at NC State University. I just began serious grip training a few months ago and it's some of the most fun I've ever had. I can currently close the CoC 2.5 ccs with both hands and am working on shutting that darn #3 with a ccs. I also started bending less than two weeks ago and just did my first red nail pretty easily today, so I'm very excited about that. I really look forward to chatting and getting advice from those of you who have inspired me. Thanks. :D

Hey guys... I'm 28 years old. I compete in MMA. I'm getting more and more into grip training but I'd say I'm a novice at this point. 5'6", 165 lbs, compete at 145. Thanks.

OMG!! Joe you got a Red nail 2 weeks in to bending????? That's insane man you have a great road ahead of you!!

welcome guys!

Hi my name's Dave and I'm a college football player and olympic lifter. I was introduced to grip work whenever a I was lifting in our rec gym and someone brought in the CoC's. I couldn't close the 1 for the life of me. I had a weak grip. I thought about it and realized I've missed a lot of tackles that could have been made if only I could've held on. I've been training with the CoC's for a couple weeks now, and can now close the 2 with my right hand and the 1.5 with my left. This board is seriously amazing, there is no ego at all. I really like everyone's willingness to help.

HI, my name is Nemanja(male) Im from Serbia 181cm,85 kg. alpine climber. I have never had grip training and Im here to inform about this kind of workout. I would like to improve strength and endurance.

Best regards,

Nemanja

Hi, I'm Chris, I heard of you guys here from the BB.com forums since I have a workout journal there. I'm primarily training Olympic Weightlifting and some Powerlifting. I've been training with grippers for about 3 months (can close the #2 with strong hand) and have small hands 7" from wrist to tip of middle finger. I have a solid welded thickbar, solid welded vertical bar, welded wrist roller, and CoC t, #1, #2, #3.

I'm currently working on closing the #3 with my strong hand (can get it to just before parallel) and closing the #2 with my weak hand (can get it past parallel).

HI, my name is Nemanja(male) Im from Serbia 181cm,85 kg. alpine climber. I have never had grip training and Im here to inform about this kind of workout. I would like to improve strength and endurance.

Best regards,

Nemanja

A climber eh? You'll find a few climbers on here!!!

Hi, I'm Chris, I heard of you guys here from the BB.com forums since I have a workout journal there. I'm primarily training Olympic Weightlifting and some Powerlifting. I've been training with grippers for about 3 months (can close the #2 with strong hand) and have small hands 7" from wrist to tip of middle finger. I have a solid welded thickbar, solid welded vertical bar, welded wrist roller, and CoC t, #1, #2, #3.

I'm currently working on closing the #3 with my strong hand (can get it to just before parallel) and closing the #2 with my weak hand (can get it past parallel).

Another guy from BB.com woooo!!! That article really peaked some interest over there! You've got a decent arsenal of grip equipment already! Kudos!

Welcome guys :rock :rock :rock

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Hello. My name is Robert. I'm just an average guy who is into CoC grippers. Currently I'm on the 2's and soon to get the 2.5s. I made a myspace group for CoC grippers and got a link to this board from there. Here's my myspace group (hope this doesn't sound like too much of a plug. My group is pretty much dead anyways) http://groups.myspace.com/captainsofcrush Of all the exercising and weightlifting I've done I have been most addicted to the CoC grippers and I'm proud of myself for being able to make it to the 2's (figuring that I'm just an average guy, not a strongman, bodybuilder or anything)

hey hey, I'm Nick and want to say hey to everyone here as my first post. I'm 16 and am currently olympic lifting and soon want to get into strongman. I have been sent to this board hearing its great and from looking around and reading the FAQs it seem to be pretty sweet...SOOOOOOO, HELLO FOLKS!

My name is Kyle and I live in the Minneapolis Minnesota area. I have been into powerlifting for 5 years and grip training seriously for 2 years. I got my first Captain of Crush trainer gripper a little over 2 years ago. I later got the #1 followed by the #2. I have worked hard on each and progressed to the higher one up. I got the #2.5 gripper three months ago and came to within 1/4 inch of closing it on the first workout. I ordered the #3 a week later and at first was about a 1/2 inch from closing that. By the second grip workout I was closing the #2.5 with each hand. I closed the #3 a few days ago with the help of my left hand to get it started and held it shut for a 3 second count with my right hand. I have found for myself that working on a gripper I am not even close to closing helps me to close the one below it. I have been doing a lot of plate pinches and recently did 2 35lb plates with an individual hand. I plate pinch down to 5lb plates and work individual fingers. I have been working on my overhand deadlift with a bar and recently did over 400lb. I hope to purchase the Rolling Thunder soon and get started on that. I also enjoy using fat bars when possibe. I am so glad I found the gripboard site. I am impressed with the information and knowledge people have on this subject.