Reinard's Grip Training

daniel reinard

Yesterday's bending. No chalk and loose-ish IMP wraps.

3x 40d nails mod DU warmup (all out of 60ds)

7"x17/64" O1 mod DU 1st hit to 70deg, finish to 1"

7"x9/32" O1 mod DU fail 3 hits, 3deg wobble

7"x9/32" CRS mod DU fail nothing

6"x17/64" O1 mod DU 1st hit to 41deg, 2nd hit nothing so flipped over for a kill to 1"

7"x5/16" 304SS cheated to 90deg, was going to be my 90deg ISO bar but moved to 110deg 1st hit. About 15-20 hits later was under 2", most hits gave no movement. That bar was fun, springy and tough.

As above, I'm focusing on mod DU but still feel good doing 90deg and in bigger stuff. Shoulder not irritated from this workout. I'll do this for 2 weeks then ease into DO kinks.

Looks like I'm stuck on 17/64" O1 drill rod so will be cutting the stuff down and hammering away until I break into the 9/32". I don't think I'm too far away if I can do 6" on 1st try, will try shorter today.

I liked the following articles very much which motivated me a lot:

Dragon door

Dragon door 2

Dragon door 3

The first link was one of my favorites. Who knows, maybe I can do them in the future again, I was so

foolish to train the OAP way to soon....

Very cool Geralt! Thanks, that's a lot of info.

Bending today. All IMPs, no chalk.

2x 40d mod DU

1x 40d at 4.5" DO

6"x1/4" Triangle G5 mod DU to 51deg, finished to 1.25" Proud to get a G5 with DU already.

7"x5/16" G2 mod DU fail, nothing, had to try it

5"x17/64" O1 mod DU 7deg after 4 hits. Spent most my energy here.

7"x21/64" O1 cheated to 79deg, moved to 84deg, then ISOs. Good, found a 90deg ISO bar.

7"x5/16" 304SS at 1.98", crush ISOs, no movement.

Got a 6"x17/64" O1 yesterday and failed at 5" today, maybe have a 5.5" in me. Happy to do G5s now, so will use for volume.

I received the York 50# blob today and lifted it both hands. Never touched a blob or block weight before. Always knew I had a decent general pinch.

Posted this in the grip forum.

Had to give the Blob a few more tries today. It was much harder today, was worn from yesterday, but I still got a couple good deadlifts both hands. I'm gonna leave it alone for a few days and then see about a clean and press, face, added weight and all that jazz. BTW I'm in the market for a Fatman Blob if anyone hears or knows of one for sale.

Followed blob work with bending. All IMPs.

2x 40d mod DU

5"x17/64" O1 mod DU was at 7deg, 2 hits nothing

5.5"x17/64" O1 mod DU stopped at 12deg after 4 hits

6"x1/4" G5 mod DU 1st hit to 30deg then a huge slip stopped me. Finished DO. Note to self: No more loose wraps DU, that ____ hurt.

7"x21/64" O1 DO was cheated to 5 5/16" 84deg for ISO work, after 10 hits got to 99deg. It would move a smidge at a time. Proud to move this stuff at all.

7"x5/16" 304SS at 1 15/16" for ISO crush work. moved 1/32" to 1 7/8" after a few hits.

Yesterday I took my filed #2 and normal #3 to work to have some guys try it. I surprised myself on the #3 when I got maybe 1/8" from a close, no chalk and was cold. I tried to get a good attempt in at home but only got to 1/4". Oh well. In two months and no gripper training I may be stronger with them. Maybe next week I'll go back to twice a week gripper workouts and 3 times a week bending and see how it goes.

Also tried a 5"x17/64" O1 doubleoverhand in IMPs. Got stuck around 80 degrees or so. The bar is doable for me, it's just the hand placement, trying to figure that out so I can do a bar in 60 seconds. Hell, I did that same sized bar which cal'd at 525# once. Should be able to figure the sweep out again. More practice...

Today will be a day off from grip. Was supposed to be Monday but I received my blob. Then it was yesterday but some grip/sledge fun at work and home got the best of me. :tongue

Did some blob work and bending. Also testing shoulder today to work out the issue with Andy.

Dips wide and narrow, pushups and 50lb DB clean and presses to test shoulder, no discomfort.

Did 50lb york Blob clean and press both hands first try! Took a bit to warm up and they weren't pretty but after some practice it'll get stricter.

Almost got small air LH by the outer face. I get a knat's ass air before it drops. RH nothing. Do people lift the outer or inner face of these?

I tried for some timed holds but was gassed by then.

Bending sucked today. York whiped me out I guess.

6"x1/4" G5 mod DU fail! Maybe my bad for using them to warm up but thought it would kink like the rest. Said screw it and flipped it over to kill DO.

7"x5/16" tough HRS gave it a slight 7deg wobble DO. Was mostly testing shoulder and not trying to hurt myself. Gave it a few hits.

7"x21/64" O1 at 99deg, ISO hits nothing

7"x5/16" 304SS at 1 31/32", ISO crushes and nothing. This sucker is springy.

Shoulder felt ok but I could tell I need some more time. I'm losing the kink but I'll get it back.

Aimed to get back on the DO horse today. Also have a new stretch to do from Andy and performed it after my bending session. It feels good so far, I can tell I got a good stretch in where it was bugging me.

7"x5/16" G2 DO IMPs, not my fastest G2 bend but also treading slowly at first

7"x9/32" O1 DO IMPs, got this from EJ, it's tougher than my 9/32" O1. Got to 10deg and froze. Gave it all hard hits, I can tell I'm weak in the kink.

7"x5/16" HRS DO IMPs+suede, also from EJ, thanks bro. It took me a bit to kink but I finished this piece.

99deg ISOs

By the end of the session I wasn't holding back and the shoulder felt decent, not 100% but not far off. I do feel really weak though, to be expected. We'll see how it goes from here.

Some bending today

2x 60d 5.5" mod DU IMPs

5.5"x17/64" O1 at 12deg, mod DU IMPs 2 hits nothing

7"x17/64" O1 mod DU IMPs to 35 deg, IMPs too loose to get good kink.

7"x5/16" HRS DO IMPs+suede getting easier on DO compared to yesterday

Red in IMPs+suede DO done, was getting tired so full bend was slow.

Doubles feel fine on the shoulder, IMPs test it a hair. But so far it's been okay, I just lost a lot of strength so need to get that back.

Tonight light grip and climbing. Grip feels taxed even before I worked out, so took it easy-ish.

RT work less than max

IM hub work less than max,

Weighted pullups did singles at 100lb, was my goal, now to see if I can get a BW pullup.

2x25 and 2x35 plate pinch, plate pinch felt strong today

about 250' climbing from V0-V3 and 11a-11b

Was going to bend since it's been 2 days but got thrown off my schedule so made the best of it with climbing. Boudlered V0-V5. Flashing some V5s still so not too rusty. Been awhile since the fingers felt this way, probably needed it.

There you go buddy, there's definitely some strength building here! I'm not familiar with bending, but maybe I will give it a go sometime.

Stay strong!

• 1 year later...

Haha, thanks guys. Matt, it took some digging to find it, that's for sure. I had a log on another site but have been wanting to move it back to here for a while.

Oh yeah...you were doing a log! haha! Let us drink from your holy grail of trainingwisdom again oh Daniel-san!

No but serious, I read the log back and I'm amazed how you progressed after concentrating on bending to start with

deadlifting, getting serious numbers with that AND working up to CCS-ing a #3! Hats off, I couldn't replicate that. Cool stuff.

And that within what, roughly a year or so? :bow

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Haha, thanks guys. Matt, it took some digging to find it, that's for sure. I had a log on another site but have been wanting to move it back to here for a while.

Nice, can't wait to see you start up the log again

Yesterday did some squats. Nothing crazy, just getting used to my new rack and already feeling spent from the last few days at work of lots of stairs and maintenance done in hazmat suits.

Squats

250 1x2

290 1x2

310 1x2

330 1x2

340 1x2

315 3x2

Just doing some doubles since I know my max isn't good. I haven't been able to go heavy in a long time since I have been lifting at home. The new cage is a pleasant addition.

Haha thanks Geralt. I've had an ok streak so far. Def need to finally these certs soon though. They are a big priority to cross off the list.

Thanks Big T.

Some bench, RT and bending today.

Bench with an axle

110 4x3

130 2x3

140 2x3

150 1x3

160 1x3

170 1x3

180 3x6

RT and bending supesetted to benching.

RT, new handle and fiddled with a new stance.

all both hands

53 2x3

99 1x3

124 1x3

134 1

144 1

157 1

170 2 singles, then 3x2, then 1 x5 sec hold finish

Bendning in IMPs no bands

7" 350# drill rod warmup

Golden Bastard in 38 seconds. Another big PR.

• Like 1

Just thought I'd clarify, all my squats, bench and deadlifts are done on a homemade pipe axle unless notes, which would be ME deadlifts with an okie bar. I want thickbar to be a part of every single workout in some form. It has been paying off.

• Like 1