Calibrating Device

CaptainCrush

I'm gonna start calibrating steel also cause I have a bunch of stuff I'm working with that will cal over 700lbs and don't wanna torture Eric with having to deal with all that weight. If any of you can give me some pics or ideas on how to make one it would be appreciated.

I'm gonna start calibrating steel also cause I have a bunch of stuff I'm working with that will cal over 700lbs and don't wanna torture Eric with having to deal with all that weight. If any of you can give me some pics or ideas on how to make one it would be appreciated.

Take a look at Eric's phote Gallary. I bought everything from home depot for about $90. I can put together a material list if you want.

It will be alot of calibrating stuff that heavy too, maybe someone else has a set up designed with hydralics? But i can help with the basics

yeah could you give me a list of what i need if it's not too much trouble man?

Looking at Eric's pics now...doesn't seem too difficult I guess.

yeah could you give me a list of what i need if it's not too much trouble man?

Looking at Eric's pics now...doesn't seem too difficult I guess.

Sure, i'll put it together tonight.

And it was not difficult at all. The hardest part is using it :yikes but it can be a good workout for your back.

Is it possible to make hydraulic "all around" calibrator which start the calibration by pushing ends of the bar? I thought to plan and build it in about 2 years while studying "metall stuff" :D in school.

Is it possible to make hydraulic "all around" calibrator which start the calibration by pushing ends of the bar? I thought to plan and build it in about 2 years while studying "metall stuff" :D in school.

Definately possible to make one using hydralics. I'll try to make a video when my hand heels. I think if you see how it works you can take it from there.

• 6 years later...

Can anyone please provide the details to Mike's steel calibrating device? I have posted the link below, but I would like to know what size chain and clamps he used. Also, any other critical parts that I am missing. Thanks. Sidenote: I searched within Gripboard and found very little details about this, but I am very capable of operator error ;)

• Like 1

Don't mean to stir the pot here but that looks really involved but most importantly, it looks like it allows for a lot of variance.  Something like Tim T's set up looks not only more accurate but also far, far easier on the user.  It is likely a lot more expensive though.  

There's a lot of good discussion in that thread on set up/specs (e.g. chain lengths), as well as discussion on how that method relates to Eric's method.  Not sure how either relate to Mike's method.  

EDIT: I see you already posted in that thread from 2 years ago!  As you were :) 

• Like 1

@KRC I appreciate you bringing this thread back up. I originally considered this and most likely this will be the calibration device that I will end up building. It's very disheartening when you don't know what you are bending, well at least for me it is. Thanks!

14 hours ago, acromegaman said:

@KRC I appreciate you bringing this thread back up. I originally considered this and most likely this will be the calibration device that I will end up building. It's very disheartening when you don't know what you are bending, well at least for me it is. Thanks!

Yes, for me too.  I did some shopping around for digital scales and winches too and it looks like it might be cheaper than expected.  I'd be interested to see what you come up with.  

It might take a little bit but this is definitely something I would like to have. I hate guessing where I'm at poundage wise.

• Like 1

The absolute best calibrating device utilizes weights, pulleys and chains. Anything with wenches and scales can get close but will never be as good as weights. If I had the room I would buy weights and just use those. But I don't have the room

22 minutes ago, EJ Livesey said:

The absolute best calibrating device utilizes weights, pulleys and chains. Anything with wenches and scales can get close but will never be as good as weights. If I had the room I would buy weights and just use those. But I don't have the room

This is my issue. I have all my man stuff in an 8' x 13' room and space is a huge factor so for right now I will need to go with the a type load cell. Weights would be better imo.