Bending 60d Nails For Volume

infobeast

I've been working my way through a few pounds of 60d nails I bought at Ace Hardware. I find them slightly tougher than 1/4" cold rolled steel of the same length.

Yesterday for a change of pace I picked up 20 Grip-rite 60d's at the Home Depot. Was surprised at how much easier they were, and bent all of them in less than an hour. I was starting to feel fatigue towards the end, but no way I could have done this with the tougher Ace nails.

This got me wondering whether anybody is doing this sort of high volume stuff competitively. All the records I've seen are for max bar size rather than fastest time to 100 nails or whatever. It'd be good to have some endurance bending records to strive for.

volume work (of any kind) is great for form and teaching you how to manage pain/fatigue. imo you always learn alot when hitting high numbers

competition volume bending is unlikely due to amount of time spent wrapping. could be interesting tho!

Dave morton and gamidon(I think) did 100 reds each in a row :whacked . Their hands got pretty messed up

Isn't there also a guinness world record with nail bending. Like 10 60d the fastest or something, can't remember exactly

John Brookfield did a 50 pound box of 60ds for a world record. I don't remember the time but it was amazingly fast. He got bad blisters somewhere around the 200 mark I believe. It was set up to where they had to fit through a 2 inch hole so he crushed them down pretty good. I believe it was over 500 nails or maybe even 550.

I've never been into speed bending really but I do lots of 60ds just for the fun of it. 60ds vary all over the place as well. Over the years I've had probably 20 different kinds calibrated by Eric and here are some of the numbers. 210, 235, 240, 265, 280, 290, 305, 315, 325, 330, 345, 380, and a whopping 480. The last 2 would be considered mutants and the easiest one is very soft at 210 but that gives you an idea of how far they range.

Griprites vary more than any other brand. Last batch I had calibrated were 235 pounds and they were slightly thinner than normal. Each batch will look different as well.

Fun stuff.

Tim

John Brookfield did a 50 pound box of 60ds for a world record. I believe it was over 500 nails or maybe even 550.

500 60d in 2 1/2 hoursblink.gif

Someone (Adam Glass?) had a video up a while back doing 100 grade 5's I think - ouch!

Yeah, Adam Glass did 100 G5s. I think he also has a video of 15 Reds in a row for time.

Brookfield's record amazes me for speed as much as endurance. Better than 3 nails a minute, I can barely get them wrapped in that time. And I start my bends with an underhand grip, then finish the crush overhand so it's not as quick as a single fluid motion.

This seems like a good direction to go with my bending. I've got very strong wrists but can't get my shoulders in position to bend the way most of you do. Endurance records are more like uncharted territory. Will work to equal the 100 G5's Adam Glass did. I've never done more than 5 of those in a single session. It will be a good challenge.

• 7 years later...

this was a volume session i did, after about a few months of bending, one of the best things i did as it made me realise i was capable of so much more than i initially realised......will do this again at some stage but with much tougher stock 

• Like 2